Sponsor??

Old 06-14-2006, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Sponsor??

I read another thread posted here and I never thought about asking here. I am in need of a sponsor for Alanon. When going to these meetings what is hte best way to obtain someone willing to do that? Not big on meeting new people for lack of trust that hs developed. But this site and meetings have helped. Still have those moments though where I need to not be in such a negative mind set. Any suggestion would help? Thanks
SC
Old 06-14-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

so confused

there is a pamphlet available on sponsorship. ask your literature person for it.

when you're at meetings, listen to other people's shares. find someone who has what you want in terms of recovery. have conversations with that person before and/or after meetings. you can then decide if they might be right for you and ask them.

don't get discouraged. i waited about 6 months before getting a sponsor (it's different for everyone) and she wasn't my first choice but now i realize she was the best choice. i found i kept going to meetings she was attending and i liked her outlook. we are not completely alike and i like that, too. she challenges my thinking.

another approach that works for some people is to eventually share at a meeting that they are looking for a sponsor. Even if no one at that particular meeting can do it, you will get lots of support and suggestions.

good luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent shareing from denny57, I wish you very good luck.
Keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SC -

It's ok to get a temporary sponsor..we encourage it in my homegroup..

part of having a sponsor is to build that trust in another person.

I had my first sponsor for a year..she was (and is) wonderful. I still see her in my meetings and call her...

I changed sponsors because of the time commitment she required from me..(*Note* this is just the way she sponsored)..

so I went sponsorless for about 4 months and found another sponsor...

My new sponsor is as loving and great...just different..

so I'd suggest you jump right in...