Notices

coversation about rehab turned out discouraging

Old 06-13-2006, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coversation about rehab turned out discouraging

i made some inquiries about rehab and ran into someone that had been in rehab for 18 months. When i ran into them they were out looking for a bump. it is a hard reality for me to swallow, that after spendig 18 months in rehab 3 months later the person was back on the streets looking to get high. I am now more skeptical and discoraged tham I was to begin with. to some of you this might sound lke another excuse. but I have to admit that particular conversation left me speechless, and made me feel like i have no way of crawling out of the hole I have dug myself into. I feel like jumping in the hole covering it with dirt and calling it a day.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That was their choice, it doesn't have to be yours. Personal responsibility, the will and the drive (need / want etc) to get clean must still play a large part in recovery. There is no magic wand, but plenty of help and support if you choose to reach out to it.

Call it a day, on using.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

statistically speaking it is looking like the succes rate is realy low, that saddens me and is dicouraging to me as well.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Damned lies and statistics! Forget about the stats, start thinking about yourself, choose to be a success, you are not anybody else, aND YOU ARE NOT A NUMBER, you are your own person.

I am new to recovery myself, but I chose to accept that I cant drink anymore, regardless of how many other people succeed. I will work hard at this and I will succeed for me. If I do fall I will get right back up - but I intend to stay on that horse! Its hard, but its worth it. You are worth it.

I made thousands, no millions, of excuses why I couldn't / wouldn't / shouldn't get help. Excuses run out and get you nowhere - time is running out! Lots of people on SR have offerred you help and support - take it, what have you got to lose by trying? Just the hell your life has become, EVERYTHING TO GAIN - come on its a no lose situation - go for it!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yes the statistical rate is extremely low. Why?
Rarely have WE seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path! That is Chapter 5 the first sentence in the Big Book of AA.
Also in the NA book it says We have never seen anyone relapse who has lived the NA way!
.. So sure the odds are against us if that is how we want to perceive it. I said on another thread earlier, the statistics say meth/coke addicts only 1 out of 100 will obtain permanent sobriety. When I heard that, I said "I'm one out of the hundred that will obtain permanent sobriety."

Guess what? We all have a choice once we get away from the drugs, the critical part of recovery is the first 6 months, then we are far enough away from it. But always anniversaries are hard also. Then if you have ever gone to a convention of any type, have you ever noticed that between 5 and 10 years there are very few that stand up when you are counting down sobriety years. None of us are guaranteed anything but now. We can break it down into minutes, hours, but OMG if I was looking even two weeks down the road I would probably be ****** up today. All we have is today! PERIOD

Beth I think (whoops not suppose to think) you need to start getting into a solution instead of dwelling in the problem, that is just IMHO. Which way do you really want to go. Someone told me the other day "Vic, either sh!t or get off the pot!" There is no straddling the fence.

Love Vic
Old 06-13-2006, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

June 2nd

And he that taketh not his cross and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me. MATTHEW 10:38

Don’t kid yourself! AA is not a free ride on the Gravy Train.
It demands a lot of your time, your money, your thought, your understanding, your patience, your tolerance, your strength and your love.
This is the price you have to pay if you want the entire treatment. This is your Cross.
If you are not willing to take it up, to pay the price, then you don’t want it bad enough nor are you willing to deserve it.
Something for nothing doesn’t work in this deal so make your decision. I’ve made mine.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

For me....... I try not to worry too much about anyone's sobriety but my own.

What others do does not determine what I end up doing in my life.

I heard that meth users rarely recover. I let it challenge me not discourage me.

Focus on the half full glass........
Old 06-13-2006, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sharing My Esh With You

Hi, Im Sharon and Im An Alcoholic.

Thanks bfree4u for sharing.

I went to rehab via family intervention. It was not my choice at the time, rather it was my family doing for me what i couldnt do for myself. I had hit bottom with drinking and tried to end my miserable life. That for sure was not a good choice to make, but i was soooo sick and had no idea till it was almost too late.

Rehab for me, the willingness, the desire and faith in a Power greater than I to stay sober saved my life. For that i am truely greatful.

I was to spend only 2 weeks in rehab before them sending me off to a halfway house. I persuaded them instead to let me stay where i was for 28 days followed by and aftercare outpatiant program for 6 weeks.

For me, spending those days in rehab set me on the right path to live a sober life. Im not going to say that life was and has been a pink cloud all the time. I like many have had my shares of ups and downs in recovery. When things got rough i could have surely gone back out to drink, but instead, because several or so people thought i wouldnt make it, i wanted to prove them wrong. That's just the way i was and am.

Anyway.....I took the suggestions of those sober before me seriously. I figured they were sober longer than i and had more knowledge of this program to help me stay on track. So i got a sponsor whom NEVER TOLD ME WHAT TO DO, but SUGGESTED many things. Things like going to meetings, reading my Big Book. I grab a hold of her hand so to speak and followed her shining examples of how this program works.

She loved to bake for the homeless shelters as service work and worked in the hopitality room at the AA convention. I went with her to that and helped. I soon began to bake for my own meetings thus allowing me to get out of my own problems and focus on helping someone else.

It's amazing how that works and keeps u sober.

Today, im not worried about the statistics out there. All im concerned about is ME. Selfishly I have to stay sober for me.

As long as i have the DESIRE and the WILLINGNESS to stay sober and go to any lengths to do so then i have a greater chance of staying sober one day at a time.

Today, 15 yrs later, i still have that desire and willingness. I have a faith in a Power greater than myself guiding me and giving me strength to carry on in my daily life. There r promises stated in the Big Book that are their for the taking. They can be urs as well as mine if we work for them by following the 12 Steps provided to us. Just take each step one at a time and the rest will follow and u will eventually know what it is like to live happy joyous and free.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm new here and feel rather uncomfortable responding, but I do have an opinion concerning this issue. Rehabs are only tools. It's what "You as an individual" choose to learn from the experience that will help. I don't believe going to a rehab is a bad choice for an addict or Alcoholic. But I also don't think it will be a determining factor in success.

The fact that people go back to their old ways after leaving a rehab just means their Illness has failed them, not the rehab.

I don't think rehab would be for everyone, but I'm CERTAIN it's helped alot of people. If someone is down, and NEEDS to get away....rehab could be the SMARTEST choice they make in their lives.

Right now, so early in my recovery, I know I cannot focus on how many others have failed. I can only focus on what I must do to stay a winner.

Sometimes negative thoughts come into my head (I've had more than my share of them today) But I try to let them pass quickly, and work through them to a more positive outlook.

Don't jump in that hole!! Stay here with us!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Well... it is hard to kick an addiction. If it wasn't none of us would be freaking addicts. I wish to high heaven that it was easy... but it ain't. What is easy is going back to using.

What it is though is the best thing you could ever ever ever ever do for yourself. Everyone is right though about you needing to be ready. If you aren't ready to do it no amount of wise words or encouragements is going to magically make you see the light. It has got to come from within you. The fact that you are questioning your addiction and voicing a desire to get clean is a good step in the right direction. But if you are looking for your life to magically turn around without some hard work on your part you are dreaming. When you are ready... you will just have to square your shoulders and get busy with working at getting better for yourself.

The more you do that the more you love yourself and the stronger you will become... one day you will be a force to be reckoned with

Stop digging anytime you are ready.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol Beth what a lousy excuse! The stats are worth a bu**er its all about what you want, you have many great examples here at SR and there are many more waiting for you out there. Hang around active users and wow guess what you take drugs! Or hang around those who are clean.

I guess what Done said early is on the button, ... when we are ready...

I am glad to be clean and sober each and every 24 hours. Reading this and your other threadhas made that even clearer.

Kevin
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

I went to a treatment center--spent 40 days inpatient and another 10 months outpatient. I have now been clean and sober over two years. It is up to the individual, plain and simple.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

NOGARD please forgive me bt I am not sure I understand the last sentence from your last post. You also have to forgive me for looking into stats it is in my nature to check empirical evidence and part of that is stats. what you say might be true, it is all up to the individal, but when I see the ods of reovery I have to wonde what my chances really are after 30 years of addiction, and not much will power.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Beth, its a no brainer that your chances are Nil while you keep putting that sh*t in your boday. I would have been dead decades ago if I worried what others and stats says. Look at the examples here at SR and those you have met elswhere, clean Addicts are your power of example, should you choose to see that.

As for willpower, I had none left when I quit, I was beaten, others and my Higher Power did it for me, all I had to do was not pick up and front up to meetings.

Kevin
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Beth remember take what you want and leave the rest...... none of us are immune I will guarantee you that.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

it is in my nature to check empirical evidence and part of that is stats. what you say might be true, it is all up to the individal, but when I see the ods of reovery I have to wonde what my chances really are after 30 years of addiction, and not much will power.

Have you read up on the stats of how many people die from their drugs.?
I'd read more about that, than how low the odds of recovery are.

This site is full of people in recovery and is full of people affected by
a loved one who has died from drugs.......

To this day............. I STILL HAVE TO read about the effects of meth,
what it does to you, that it will/can kill you, make your crazy, etc.....

Cause my brain likes to forget, it likes to remember the good things....
It's up to me to remind it of the truth..

Theyre' have been nights even in the last week, where I have layed in bed crying cause I miss freakin miss meth, then I get up and read all night long
about how bad it really is for you.......

You are going to see something one way, you are going to think in a certain way,

But I always have to tell myself over and over that I don't have to believe everything I think..........
Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
On a tear

If 1 out of 10 recover (and it is higher than that - MUCH higher), it is 100% for the one person who recovers. 100%

Honesty
Openness
Willingness

Happy, Joyous, Free

Some of those who find a way, seek it first. I hope you can be a seeker, if this is your time.

(((Befree))))
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by BigSis
If 1 out of 10 recover (and it is higher than that - MUCH higher), it is 100% for the one person who recovers. 100%

Honesty
Openness
Willingness

Happy, Joyous, Free

Some of those who find a way, seek it first. I hope you can be a seeker, if this is your time.

(((Befree))))
Thanks BigSis, brilliant.

Kevin
Old 06-14-2006, 03:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
one of many

Stick with the winners. I opened up a fortune cookie the other day and it read, " the beginning is always the hardest, DO NOT GIVE UP". That cookie was right.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think you are wasting everyone's valuable time with your posts.

Come back when you are ready for a change.

janew