Inspirational research data re Recovery

Old 06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inspirational research data re Recovery

thought i'd share this from NIH. url (complete article) is below

2001-2002 Survey Finds That Many Recover From Alcoholism
Researchers Identify Factors Associated with Abstinent and Non-Abstinent Recovery

More than one-third (35.9 percent) of U.S. adults with alcohol dependence (alcoholism) that began more than one year ago are now in full recovery, according to an article in the current issue of Addiction. The fully recovered individuals show symptoms of neither alcohol dependence nor alcohol abuse and either abstain or drink at levels below those known to increase relapse risk. They include roughly equal proportions of abstainers (18.2 percent) and low-risk drinkers (17.7 percent). The analysis is based on data from the 2001-2002 National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC), a project of the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).
One-quarter (25.0 percent) of individuals with alcohol dependence that began more than one year ago now are dependent, 27.3 percent are in partial remission (that is, exhibit some symptoms of alcohol dependence or alcohol abuse), and 11.8 percent are asymptomatic risk drinkers with no symptoms but whose consumption increases their chances of relapse (for men, more than 14 drinks per week or more than four drinks on any day; for women, more than 7 drinks per week or more than three drinks on any day).
“Results from the latest NESARC analysis strengthen previous reports that many persons can and do recover from alcoholism,” said NIAAA Director Ting-Kai Li, M.D

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2005/niaaa-18.htm
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you steve, from what we read here doesn't seem that many make it??
Then we know how many are in AA, ???
Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Steve.

I think this is valid. I know of 3 people close to me who have recovered from serious drug and drink problems on their own. One had some kind of experience that is not discussed but snapped him out of it and he was in deep, believe me. Another made a big jump in his career and made a choice. And another got a kick up the bum by some friends when his wife became pregnant and has not looked back. None of their stories would be out of place on these boards or in meetings.

However, being a self-selecting group, both on SR and perhaps in formal recovery groups, it is a view that is unlikely to be particularly embraced. And I have seen that examples such as I have given are classed as not being "real" alcoholics. (Please don't get me started on that viewpoint, otherwise I may spontaneously combust.)

The true rate of recovery from drink problems will never be measured, I believe, because many people drink in secret and quit in secret. Or if not in total secrecy, then they never come to the attention of survey-takers.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by minnie
Thanks Steve.

I think this is valid. I know of 3 people close to me who have recovered from serious drug and drink problems on their own. One had some kind of experience that is not discussed but snapped him out of it and he was in deep, believe me. Another made a big jump in his career and made a choice. And another got a kick up the bum by some friends when his wife became pregnant and has not looked back. None of their stories would be out of place on these boards or in meetings.

However, being a self-selecting group, both on SR and perhaps in formal recovery groups, it is a view that is unlikely to be particularly embraced. And I have seen that examples such as I have given are classed as not being "real" alcoholics. (Please don't get me started on that viewpoint, otherwise I may spontaneously combust.)

The true rate of recovery from drink problems will never be measured, I believe, because many people drink in secret and quit in secret. Or if not in total secrecy, then they never come to the attention of survey-takers.
Have a friend that recovered from etoh. was a loner and family was far away, thus nobody may hae noticed the personality changes and ther indicators. whether he drank secretly or publicly there was no one to recognize alcoholism, except perhaps employees, roomates, and landlords, of which there were MANY
Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I don't buy those statistics, Steve. If you took a survey of partners of alcoholics in this forum, you'd see that fewer than 10% (and I'm being generous) of our partners have reached and maintained sobriety for a period of one year.

Nope, I don't buy those stats one bit.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe it. Most, not all, who come here, IMO, are those whose A's aren't, at this time, attempting recovery even - thus the need for support. All I need to do is walk into one of the AA groups I go to and see those who are in recovery to know that many can and do.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To the relative coping with the anguish of a loved one in the grip of a horrible addiction the only statistic that matters is whether _their_ loved one is going to survive.

This weekend is the funeral of the husband of a very special friend. He was found several weeks after he died of alcohol poisoning in his home. He did not reach any of the recovery statistics. To his father, his wife, the other people that loved him, none of the numbers matter. All they know is how much it hurts.

As was correctly pointed out, it doesn't matter what "program" is used, or none at all. What matters is that here on SoberRecovery we remain open and welcoming to all who suffer from any addiction. As long as we are willing to share our own experience, from whatever form of recovery it may be, there will be people who can find hope for their own loved ones.

It's not about the stats, it's about hope.

Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it can be easy to lose hope sometimes if all you hear are the negatives. Whether AH ever achieves sobriety, I like to hear success stories. None of us should ever give up hope for our lives.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57
I think it can be easy to lose hope sometimes if all you hear are the negatives. Whether AH ever achieves sobriety, I like to hear success stories. None of us should ever give up hope for our lives.

That is very true. This forum has mainly those still dealing with overt addiction and not recoverees. It is true those whose loved one(s) have recovered generally don't post on this forum.

A family member lost her battle with cancer many years ago but had she had the current available treatment she may have very well beat it. I choose to be positive for those now recovered and healthy despite my personal loss.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat
I don't buy those statistics, Steve. If you took a survey of partners of alcoholics in this forum, you'd see that fewer than 10% (and I'm being generous) of our partners have reached and maintained sobriety for a period of one year.

Nope, I don't buy those stats one bit.

A survey of those on THIS forum would be what is called a "skewed" or biased survey because the people on this forum are those whose loved ones did not recover. An equally skewed survey would be one taken exclusively from those whose loved ones did recover.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

imho.....those that recover hopefully have plugged back into life and are out there living life to it's fullest....therefore, would not necessarily be here on these forums spilling their guts, like i am. so trying to compare recovery rates based on this forum would be futile.

i think many people do actually stop using and regain a somewhat normal, if not successful, life.

just as with any facet in life, i believe in extremes, and one of those extremes that we, as a collective group are dealing with on this forum, is the extreme of alcoholism....the hard cores......

jmo

steve----hope i don't kill this thread......sometimes, i think i am a serial thread killer..lol

jeri
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Coming here and posting is about my recovery.