Notices

desperate to be sobber

Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy desperate to be sobber

i'm new to this forum. I keep bouncing in and out of AA. i'm trying to control the drink, but the drink controls me far too often. can anyone advise? i'm having frequent blackouts and don't remember much.

if anyone has been in this situation, can you please post a reply and suggest what worked for you.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by san migel
i'm new to this forum. I keep bouncing in and out of AA. i'm trying to control the drink, but the drink controls me far too often. can anyone advise? i'm having frequent blackouts and don't remember much.

if anyone has been in this situation, can you please post a reply and suggest what worked for you.
Hi first welcome to SR and we are glad that you are here. Bouncing in and out of the Program, yep I can relate. My name is Vic and I am an addict. We never did have control over our drinking or using as far as I am concerned. I have been in that situation since February and today I have the most days in a row than I have had in a long time.

It isn't easy to do, but we just need to do this deal for TODAY. You know all the days clean before today, won't do me a damn bit of good to stay clean today. I am going to have to review step one every day and remind myself that I will not give in to self today. Yes we can do it, we know how to do it, but are we willing to do this deal Just For Today. Most of us have been where you are, so don't give up and keep moving forward. Go to meetings, as many as you can, don't drink no matter what.

Love Vic
Old 06-11-2006, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I keep bouncing in and out of AA. i'm trying to control the drink, but the drink controls me far too often. can anyone advise?
Friendly greetings San. Best advice I can suggest is to stop bouncing and trying to control, and commit yourself to recovery. The idea has to first be real in your head if you're going to choose to proceed. This is a VERY good place to start. Welcome.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi San. I'm far too new at this to know for certain what works for me. It seems, though, that as soon as I stopped "trying" to quit and, rather, "decided" to quit that I really had any success.

Also, I've identified some major triggers in my life, and make a daily plan that will help me to avoid them. Tomorrow, for example: I know that I would typically be alone from 6 am until 11:30 pm (with the exception of 90 minutes in the evening when my son will be home and awake.)

So I already have a plan for what I will do tomorrow in order to avoid lonliness / boredom -- my number one trigger. I know that doesn't exactly go along with "one day at a time," but it works for me

Anyway, welcome to SR! It's quite nice here. Hope to see you around!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

You can do it San! And if you are indeed having blackouts and such! You need to take the first step today and just remember you are doing this for you! Also seek out someone or a good aa group to support you!

Hang in their,
John
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My question is, what do you mean, exactly, by controlling the drink? Do you mean you want advice on how to manage controlled drinking???
Old 06-11-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

For understanding alcoholism...I recommend...

"Under The influence"
and it's sequel
"Beyond The Influence"

are books are carried by Amazon

The information In 'Under" is what finally got me to quit.
I was in and out of AA for 4 years before I found the book.
I renewed my AA committment and have not had another drink.

You too can stay sober...Blessings
Old 06-11-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me there is no "controlling" alcohol. Total abstinence is my only hope. I spent the last year of my drinking desperate to find ways of controlling it and almost died in the process.

My advice, stop bouncing in and out of AA. Get in there and stay in there. This isn't something you do for a while and then stop. It is with us for life and we have to treat it for life.

You do have to reach the point where you "decide" you're going to do this thing (or at least I had to). I had to get my butt kicked pretty good before I was willing to throw my hands up in surrender but once I did I didn't have to worry about trying to control it or it controlling me. I turned control over to a power greater than myself and then set about the business of not drinking today and beginning the work on myself to identify the causes and conditions that I drank over.

Perdita, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making plans for triggers. That is great. That is healthy. It helps you in your one day at a time strategy! Keep up the great work!

Kellye
Old 06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

I bounced around in AA until I was finally ready to make the commitment to sobriety. It was life or death and I had to choose. I chose life. It wasn't until after I got a sponsor and worked the steps that I got sober. Do you have a sponsor?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Wishing you Luck, similar problem to me.
i always feel sh~te in the mornigs too...

Welcome to SR, there a great bunch.....