Notices

Hello I'm new here

Old 05-31-2006, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello I'm new here

Hello everyone,
I'm obiwan and I'm a thirty three year old man who considers himself an alcoholic.I've binged on and off since I first discovered alcohol at 17.

Since graduating I have been a graphic designer, but my father died three years ago and the year after that I lost my job. I'm not entirely sure if this was connected with my drinking but since he passed away my binge drinking alone has increased steadily. When I finished my design job I was in the process of dating a girl who went on to become what I consider the love of my life. We lasted just over a year before she left me. We used to get in arguments when I was drunk and I thoroughly regret it, not because I physically abused her in any way, but because I could have treated her a lot better and been more ambitious. To put it simply, she deserved a lot better and I didn't give it to her.

Anyways, I got back out there and met other girls and got relatively healthy. I started a temporary position which has now finished so I am claiming benefits. I am in a relationship but I can't see it continuing as I know deep down she isn't the one. When I see her we both tend to drink a lot and often have arguments - although I believe this is mainly due to the fact we aren't very compatible.

Anyways - to get to the point,
I tend to binge drink - I won't drink for two nights (sometimes three) and then I will spend a night on my own and drink two bottles of wine and three cans of beer before passing out. I never used to, but I have recently started craving a drink in the morning, and find it difficult not to if there is some left in the fridge. I think my ambition has decreased a lot in the last three years and I want it back as I used to thoroughly enjoy my job. Now I don't have one but am looking very hard.

I haven't drunk since Sunday - during the whole day I had two bottles of wine and two beers - which seems to be my limit. This may not seem like a lot to some people but I have taken the alcoholic test online and ticked yes to most of the questions.

I have lied to friends and girlfriends about my drinking - saying I have been out doing other things when I have in fact been on my own in the house getting hammered.

I would very much appreciate your advice regarding my comments, and the best way of giving up. I heard the DTs are par for the course during the first few days abstinence. I know they can be very dangerous and want to know if I should be worried about them enough to get medical attention.

I estimate I binge three to four days in the week.

Thankyou

obiwan
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to SR, obiwan!
Others will be here to answer your concerns. If you fell like you will need medical assistance, please contact your doctor. DT's are serious business, and not to be taken lightly.
I wish you well...

Shalom!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I saw your post in Alcoholism...
and I am glad you went there too.

We do understand and you too can stop drinking.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

u have a problem and u recognize it. Question now is what do you want to do about it? A lot of people struggle with whether or not they can learn to drink "normally". I know I did. All that happened from that deadend thinking was a series of relapses and then feeling awful physically and mentally about the relapse.

I know this from my time drinking and meeting women, I usually ended up with someone as messed up as I was if she and I were both drinking. Not to say they weren't attractive, they were, but the drink had gotten to them as well. Like minds attract like minds.

Welcome and good luck. Levi
Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey obiwan (cool name, btw...), and welcome to SR. Do you have any sort of support system around you? Have you tried getting to a meeting? If AA is not for you (as it isn't for everyone) there are other alternatives. The largest part, at least for me (and I was drinking almost double what you are - every night) was replacing the time I spent drinking doing something else - constructive and meaningful.

Congrats on your decision to do something. It can be done- we are all proof.

Keep posting, asking questions, etc., and keep an open mind. You can do it!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obiwan
I heard the DTs are par for the course during the first few days abstinence. I know they can be very dangerous and want to know if I should be worried about them enough to get medical attention.

Well, the DT's arent the simple "shakes" that alot of people think they are. DT, stands for Delirium Tremens. Its a form of alcohol induced dementia. If you DO get the DT's, it doesnt happen until days 3-5 and can last until around day 7. Yes,....get medical help,...now. Dont "play the odds". If you REALLY want to quit drinking. I mean REALLY want to, then do everything in excess. Just to make sure. Go to the doctor. Try AA meetings. One thing is for sure,...you cant beat alcoholism by sitting at home and trying not to drink. Get proactive. No isolating. No feeling sorry for yourself. Get out there and do something about it. The doctors office is a perfect start. Get a check up. Be honest with him or her about your drinking. Honest about what. Honest about the amounts. Honest about the frequency. And honest about your withdrawal symptoms. They will point you in the right direction. And as always,...WE will be here for you too. Good luck. You CAN do this.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, Obiwan,

Glad to meet you! You have come to the right place. I am new, too, and don't know if I would be here (2weeks/4days) sober if I hadn't found this great group of people!

Take care of yourself and keep on posting!

Kayte
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Red face Hi,....

Hi everyone great surpport to newcomers, everytimei log in.... : ValB002: hope you find the right type of help that suits your needs
check your local services,ask others in your area LOOK
in directoryzzz.... you have to take an active role
unless it wont happen for you until your ready...

GOOD LUCK
Old 05-31-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

hi, Katie..........

Hi, im new on this site too it looks kool, hope to read yer post from time to time...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you, Arura!

This site is the best place I have found and there are many amazing people to learn from here!

Have a great day!

Kayte
Old 06-02-2006, 03:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone for your kind and helpful words. I am on my fifth sober day now and its a tricky one because its a Friday. I'm meeting my ladyfriend later on and I know she will want to have a drink and expect me to as well. I've been trying to fill my spare time with productive things like running, rowing and visiting Wookey Hole (?) - which made me want to drink even more.

Anyways - just wanted to say thanks and have a good weekend

See you soon

T