Notices

Introduction

Old 05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello, this is my fifth day sober (alcohol, not drugs). That might not sound like much, but it's the most days in a row I've been sober in four years. Basically, I found these forums just searching the internet for any sort of support. All of my friends are big drinkers as well, so they're not much help. I guess my life and my health were both so out of control I realized I just had to stop. I've had some withdrawl but nothing worse than being irratable, not being able to sleep and the shakes so far. I do have an appointment with my doctor soon as well, who I've never been honest about my alcoholism with, but I will be this trip.
Otherwise, I really don't know where to start except to say hello.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, buktrouble. Glad you're here.

Many of us needed the support of a formal program of recovery. I hope you can investigate the options out there for you. Help is available.

Congrats on a wonderful, new sober life!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. After years of drinking about 20 beers a night, it feels good to be sober. Of course, the cravings are really bad but they aren't as bad as things have become because of drinking. Nearly lost my family and job.
I live in a small town, but I will check on what options of support we have here. I'm just not sure I'm ready to face a group of people in that sort of setting. Nearly give me a panic attack just thinking about it . But, I'm determined to do whatever I have to do. Again, thank you for the welcome.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Buk,

Welcome!

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking. I almost lost my family too, but fortunately have been able to turn things around.

I think it takes a lot of work to stay sober and SR is a good place for information and support so I hope you keep posting.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Congratulations! It sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep coming back.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome buk ! Stick with it, and all the best !
Old 05-29-2006, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Buktouble--Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. As others have said, this is a great place for support and encouragment. Many, many of us have been just where you are right now. As far as what to post about, most of us just post about whatever is on our minds. Try reading around a lot and see what you feel most comfortable with. Hope you will stick around!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's grand to se you here with us...
Well done on your 5 days!
Old 05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

u have done the right thing by deciding to face your problem and to be honest with your doctor. You will also want to be honest with your family, assuming they are supportive and not addicted, as well as any healthy friends that you have.

Good on YOU! Levi
Old 05-29-2006, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome. I was like you a bit at first, but once I started posting the words found themselves. They will for you in time I am sure.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is great that you have found SR! Welcome!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
duck amuck

Welcome aboard! I'm a noob too. Good to see you.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

5 days is 5 days.

Congratulations. It isn't so much the day count but the choice you have made that is important.
As far as facing a group..the group is a bunch of people who stood in your shoes at one point. They know how you feel because they have been there.
In such a group...You are not alone. Support and friendships await.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by buktrouble
Thank you. After years of drinking about 20 beers a night, it feels good to be sober. Of course, the cravings are really bad but they aren't as bad as things have become because of drinking. Nearly lost my family and job.
I live in a small town, but I will check on what options of support we have here. I'm just not sure I'm ready to face a group of people in that sort of setting. Nearly give me a panic attack just thinking about it . But, I'm determined to do whatever I have to do. Again, thank you for the welcome.
I'd imagine a small-town setting for an AA meeting could be a bit intimidating, but you should find that the meetings are warm and accepting. You don't have to talk or label yourself an alcoholic. If you go to a meeting, chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised. They are not like people typically imagine.

If you can manage to quit, you're not only going to love how much better you feel but you'll love saving the money you spend for those 20 beers as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Hey there Buktrouble. Welcome to SR!

I see tons of great replies to you so I just wanted to say hey and welcome. You sure landed in a pot-o-honey when you found SR. I hope you come to call this place a home of sorts and that you can get comfort, support and lots of good advice. I sure have.

So... welcome!

Suga
Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Buktrouble, well done on the 5 days sober!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey Buk! Another 'welcome' here! Congrats on your decision to get sober. You will find that many have been where you are and have done it, so you can, too!!

That's great that you're going to tell your dr. When I finally came clean to mine, it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders! I hope you find the same.

Good to see you and stick around!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Buk,

I'm on day 8 (both sober and new to site) and can tell you that the help this community gives had made the differnece for me. They have also convinced me that gettign the help of others by being honest it indeed wise, and it is. People are really willing to help. we just need to ask.

Congradulations and please let everyone know how you are doing and how we can help.