Notices

5 days sober

Old 05-27-2006, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lucy

5 days sober

Hello all,

I posted about 2 weeks ago and tried to quit drinking on my own. Well last Sunday I hit rock bottom in front of my kids and woke up the next day with a black eye and bruises all over me from falling down. My husband said it's time I did something and I did I placed myself into a detox unit and today I am going on my 6th day today.

Went to an AA meeting last night and hated it. I could not relate to this people at all. Some where living on the streets and others had lost everything, thank God that did not happen to me.

Does anyone here not attend AA:

Old 05-27-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lucy, on your five days. That is a worthy accomplishment.

Here's a link to AA alternatives: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ives-info.html

I hope the link works. This thread is at the top of the alcoholism forum on this board.

Best wishes to you!

Mongo
Old 05-27-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AA is more than one thing. I'm 23 years sober, and still don't fit in at a lot of meetings, but found some where I do. Had I to do it all over again, I'd check out LifeRing and Smart Recovery as well.

I do better at the small meetings, where people can try to be honest and not pontificate so much. But the thing about AA is that there are a lot of people there who know how to stay sober.

I ended up just showing up at meetings whether I wanted to or not, because I didn't do so well on my own. Eventually I got involved. Then I sought out another spiritual path (Buddhism) that made more sense to me. It's not about God, so that's one hoop I don't have to jump through, but I still have to learn how to work with what is, which isn't easy for anyone. But boy do things change.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucyfoly

Went to an AA meeting last night and hated it. I could not relate to this people at all. Some where living on the streets and others had lost everything, thank God that did not happen to me.

I wouldn't necessarily give up on AA yet if this is your only encounter.
Even though you can not relate to being homeless or losing everything yet, you soon will if you continue to drink.

I hated AA when I first started as well and was at the verge of saying the hell with it. Then I found a few groups that I liked and could relate to.
I would suggest the same with you. Check out a bunch of meetings at first and I'll guarantee you'll find some folks you like. Folks that speak your language. Maybe you will find another mother with a drinking problem and the two of you can support each other perhaps.

The crazy thing about AA is that no matter what our socio-economic status is, our common bond is that everyone is battling the devil in the bottle.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats on your days sober.

I too hated AA meetings, I was not like them not as bad ..., but something kept me going back and now I look forward to being at and in a meeting to listen and learn and be part of an amazing community.

As they say around here; keep coming back

Kevin
Old 05-27-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are trying again!...

I fled my first AA meeting at half time
I was not that sick!

3 years later I returned as I was drinking myself insane.

Keep posting and keep sober..
Old 05-27-2006, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lucyfoly

Does anyone here not attend AA:

Thank God it hasnt happened. At least not yet huh? Anyone can end up homeless. Look at Aerosmith. They made millions and evenually wound up broke and homeless. Today they are clean and making millions again. There are worse things that can happen than living on the streets, or losing everything. This is what alcohol did for my girlfriend. http://www.co.washington.or.us/sheri...a/ftl_1car.htm Sorry to hear you hated your first AA meeting. Not every AA meeting is the same. Perhaps you could try a few other meetings before making up your mind whether or not AA is for you. And not everyone here at SoberRecovery is a member of AA. Anyway, congrats on 5 days.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't attend AA presently although I did in the past. For me this forum is my "AA" group and I have sponsor like relationships with some on here and I do a lot of work on my own.

There are also a lot of different AA groups, you may want to try different groups. When I did attend AA the groups I attended ranged from the one you described, which was actually held in a detox centre or very near to one, and ones that were just regular normal people with a problem who owned homes, had cars, bills, etc. If you didn't hear them say "hello, my name is Joe and I'm an alcoholic, you would never have known they were.

Before you throw all AA groups out, try a few different ones in your area if they exist. As you will see on this forum, the variety of people and situations is extremely broad. Alcoholism is not limited to the beggars and street people, it is in all levels of society.

For example, I am an attorney and I earn a good living and have a nice house. I drive a nice vehicle and I have money in the bank. Because of my income, as long as I continued to function, I could likely have drank my whole life away without ever ending up on the street. Of course, the big IF there is IF I could have continued to function as my consumption increased. I know of many lawyers who have managed to and drink anywhere from a fifth to a 26 a day but they wear $1,000-$2,000 suits, drive porsches, etc. Do they have a problem OH YEAH!

Levi
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lucy

Thank you all for your support. Today I am feeling very strong and very greatful for another day without drinking 2 bottles of wine every night and blacking out.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lucy

Originally Posted by leviathon
I don't attend AA presently although I did in the past. For me this forum is my "AA" group and I have sponsor like relationships with some on here and I do a lot of work on my own.

There are also a lot of different AA groups, you may want to try different groups. When I did attend AA the groups I attended ranged from the one you described, which was actually held in a detox centre or very near to one, and ones that were just regular normal people with a problem who owned homes, had cars, bills, etc. If you didn't hear them say "hello, my name is Joe and I'm an alcoholic, you would never have known they were.

Before you throw all AA groups out, try a few different ones in your area if they exist. As you will see on this forum, the variety of people and situations is extremely broad. Alcoholism is not limited to the beggars and street people, it is in all levels of society.

For example, I am an attorney and I earn a good living and have a nice house. I drive a nice vehicle and I have money in the bank. Because of my income, as long as I continued to function, I could likely have drank my whole life away without ever ending up on the street. Of course, the big IF there is IF I could have continued to function as my consumption increased. I know of many lawyers who have managed to and drink anywhere from a fifth to a 26 a day but they wear $1,000-$2,000 suits, drive porsches, etc. Do they have a problem OH YEAH!

Levi
Levi,

I understand you completly, my husband and I are very successful and I too could have continued to drink without loosing my house, boat, bike or money. However, I was loosing me! I would get violent every night, black out and wonder who did I hurt with my mouth or even my hands.

I'm reading the book attending church and visiting this site daily.

Laurie
Old 05-28-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Don't give up on AA yet. I hated it as well when I first started going. I must admit it was definitely a strange encounter in the beginning. I have grown to understand the program and process of AA. I'm grateful for the program. Although strange and overbearing in the beginning, it has been the only thing that has kept me sober. Good luck and give it time to sink in. Sometimes we are quick to jump to conclusion especially when it comes to admitting truth and honesty. I was living in a world of denial and self centeredness when I was first trying to get sober. It isn't a wonder I didn't like what I heard. It meant I had to take a honest look at myself and face the truth. As we all know, the truth hurts. You are not alone and there is a solution. Take care...
Old 05-28-2006, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ASH

Congrats on taking action to take get rid of the alcohol, you will be glad you did
Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
5 Minute Rule

Not aa

AA did not work for me for many reasons. I have been sober for 5 years 7 months, and getting sober is my greatest acomplishment. There are tools that you must find weather at AA or not. When I grave a drink one day I may run, another day read, another play video games, but I always find a way to ditract myself. I did attend a few AA meetings but felt it was not the right environment for me. AA is not for everyone. Rational Recovery is another organization that has worked for a few friends. Here are two books I recommend "A drinking Life" by Pete Hamill & "Sober for Good" by Anne M. Fletcher. Both of these books gave me ways to cope. The most important thing is to educate yourself about the addiction & educate yourself about yourself. Be completely honest with yourself find out what situations bring on greater urges, and the learn to avoid those situations. Become sober for yourself, and good things will follow. I would never profess to know everything, but everyone on this site has found ways to be successful. You can do this this. 6 days is the beginning of the new you!