Notices

What, when and how much do/did you drink?

Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down What, when and how much do/did you drink?

I was just curious what alcoholic beverage everyone here drinks/drank, how much you drank and what time you normally started drinking. For me, I'd work like a dog (I'm self-employed) until about 1:30PM to 2:00PM and then grab a Miller beer and drink as much as I could until dinner (around 6:00PM). Sometimes I'd drinking 4-5 beers and on "heavy days" I'd down 8-10. Then I'd hit the bed and wake up feeling like crap the next morning (depending on how much I drank the previous day). Anyway, that's is/was my routine. What's is/was yours?.

- Regards, S4E
Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whoops, sorry...did'nt mean to thank myself for my own post
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is your post from the past on this Topic...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...you-drink.html

Just in case you have forgotten...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really don't see how this post is helpful at all... IMO
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry about posting the same question twice. I was away for awhile and had forgotten. So why is it so "unhelpful" to ask something I was simply curious about?.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it is too easy for others to compare and

1. Feel they can't quit due to the way they drink

2. Feel they are not in danger as they don't drink as much

Neither is nessarily correct.

For instance...

I notice you make a distinction between whiskey and beer.
Your brain and your liver do not,
Old 05-27-2006, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I rarely find something a fellow alcoholic shares with me 'unhelpful'

Thanks for your post, Soberforever

Cathy31
x
Old 05-27-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
I think it is too easy for others to compare and

1. Feel they can't quit due to the way they drink

2. Feel they are not in danger as they don't drink as much

Neither is nessarily correct.

For instance...

I notice you make a distinction between whiskey and beer.
Your brain and your liver do not,
I think there must be some type of unfortunate misunderstanding here because I know and agree with you that the liver does not distinguish/differentiate between various forms of alcohol and I sure don't remember making a distinction between beer and whiskey (where did I do that?). Also, I know that neither 1# or 2# are correct. With all due respect, is it possible that you misconstrued something I said or perhaps I did'nt word somthing in such a way as to make my views clear?. At any rate, I meant no harm so I would'nt read anything extra my post. I even apologized for double-posting. I'm not here to compare or judge or put anyone down. I'm suffering just like the rest of you and trying my best to quit drinking (today will be my second day sober!).

- Regards, S4E
Old 05-27-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My main concern with posts like this is what Carol stated, people drawing comparisons on others drinking and thinking either they are too far gone so why try or they're not "that bad" yet so why worry about it.

I drank alcoholically for 3.5 years before hitting bottom. It doesn't matter what I drank or how often I drank it. What matters is that it kicked my *ss and almost killed me. I share the rooms of AA with people who drank for a whole lot longer and drank a whole lot more in quantity but it doesn't really matter. The results were the same.

I don't find it helpful to engage in war stories or trying to top someone else with my drinking vs theirs or romancing the drink. I will discuss my drinking days when I'm telling my story or when I'm sharing in a meeting but I focus more on the hopeless and helpless state of mind my drinking left me in rather than what and how often I drank. I do talk about its progression and will list examples say of just drinking at night, to drinking in the middle of the night to pass back out, to drinking in the morning to get going and then to drinking on the job just to get through the day.

Kellye
Old 05-27-2006, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kellye D - I think your creating a tempest in a teapot here and taking my post completely out of context. Noone is drawing comparisons or telling "war stories". In fact, I don't think anyone here can claim "bragging rights" to how much they drank or did'nt drink and wear it around their neck like some kind of "trophy" and as I've already stated, noone is judging on the basis of how much or how little a person drank. I was simply curious and since this question has already been posted in the past, I really consider the whole issue rather moot at this point and this thread can probably be locked/closed now since I don't see how it is serving any kind of constructive purpose.

PS: I just wanted to add that I am both dissapointed and saddened that rather than support and encourage me for being on my second day sober, you instead chose to read things into my post and speculate over what my intentions were in writing it (ie; I'm not here to tell war stories") and that is something that I don't exactly find "helpful".

- Regards, S4E
Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

S4E, I'm sorry that my views upset you. I wasn't attacking your post, only stating my concerns on this type of thing in general. I'm not questioning your motives here only expressing concern on how others might take the responses.

By the way, I do support and encourage you on your 2nd day of being sober. I know how tough that is and I wish you the best. It is not easy to crawl out of the hell of alcoholism and I salute everyone who has the courage to do so. I wish you continued success and will be more than happy to share experience, strength and hope with you along the way or just a high five!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 05-27-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol and Kathy, I had simply looked at it as comparing what we drank, I hadn't thought of it inspiring people who still suffer to realize that others either drank the same as they do now, or drank far more, and were able to quit. My Apologies.

Ok for me, it started out as 3-4 super cans of dark german beer (8% alcohol) a night. I continued to function well b/c I still worked, went to the gym, etc. When I couldn't work out any longer it increased to drinking hard liquor on weekends (gin/vodka). Then I eventually progressed to drinking scotch and only scotch, about a fifth (that's a 13 oz bottle right?) a night for roughly a year. I was so pathetic, thought I could never stop.

I always drank in the evening during the week and on weekends whenever I felt like it. Near the end I was probably consuming 3/4 of a 26 on weekend days and up to a 26 per day at times.

My drinking was scaring those that cared about me and I didn't care quite frankly. Didn't ever drink at work, but it was a factor in that your head isn't as clear, you feel like crap, and your body begins to ooze out alcohol through your pores, sweat glands, etc.

Levi
Old 05-27-2006, 10:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hmmm...

By the looks of things, it would appear that we are already doing exactly what I thought we said we should'nt be doing (ie; "comparing"). Already I see several posts within this thread where people are discussing how much they drank and what they drank so I guess my post was'nt so "unhelpful" or "uninspiring" after all, huh?. At least it got people talking and sharing and I think that is a GOOD thing.

- Regards, S4E (2 days so far!)
Old 05-27-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

During my last year and a half drinking, I had a beer in my hands at almost every waking moment. I would try to drink a cup of coffee to start the day, but I couldn't keep it down. The coffee rather seemed to serve as a catalyst
for vomitting the yellow bile that accumulated in my stomach somehow.

After the puking, I had the shakes so bad that I needed at least three beers
to be somewhat funtional again. Functional enough to get to the store and buy some beer and smokes.

Once I had my supply of beer, I drank for the remainder of my waking hours.
Basically, I was perpetually drunk. And the crazy thing about it was I had my $hit together and nobody could tell me I had a drinking problem.

Good luck on your new attempt at sobriety. If you want to read more about
the drinking habits of people, read the stories in the back of the Big Book if you haven't already. I think you'll find it interesting and inspiring.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey guys
i drank a fifth to 2 fifths a day of vodka or if i had to get beer lots of 8 percent cause it was highest alcohol volume--more beer than i can count--i drank around the clock and went crazy mentally and my body was near death--im so glad thats over--lol
Laura
Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I always drank to oblivion or to pass out, might as well have put a funnel in my mouth and poured the booze in. I drank as early in the day as I could in the last year and always felt sick unless I was unconcious, I worked somehow and chain smoked, every day ended for me when I past out or blacked out.

These days I sleep comfortably, awake refreshed and can remember eveything I did yesterday and am ok with what I did.

As Irish says there are many inspiring stories in the BB.

I wish you well.

Kevin
Old 05-27-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Irish Virus
During my last year and a half drinking, I had a beer in my hands at almost every waking moment. I would try to drink a cup of coffee to start the day, but I couldn't keep it down. The coffee rather seemed to serve as a catalyst
for vomitting the yellow bile that accumulated in my stomach somehow.

That's because you forget to spike it with an ounce or two of rum first
Old 05-27-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I do retract this statement..S4E

"I notice you make a distinction between whiskey and beer.
Your brain and your liver do not"

I confused you with another member.
I am sorry.