Someone help me understand?

Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone help me understand?

Ok, I'm a codie, I get that, but why am I a codie?

Why do I let myself be treated so badly?

Is there a way to break the codie cycle, I'm reading about detachment and not enabling and am on that road ok, but this codie thing I can't quite get my head around.

codie = co dependant?

But am I dependant on him?

All I can depend on him for is to make me feel bad about myself, to lie to me, to take me for granted, to abuse me, to use me etc..

Why? What is it inside me that makes me accept the way he is treating me?

How does someone become a codie?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Good topic Missus.
For me...this pretty much sums it up

from www.jcdisciples.com

Codependence is a learned and acquired pattern of behavior with its roots in the development of the affected person. Because a lost sense of self lies at the heart of the condition, a codependent is focused on others and has distorted personal boundaries; the problems with personal boundaries and the constant external focus lead to difficulties in relationships. This condition is primary, chronic, and progressive. It can be treated; however, if it is not, it is ultimately as destructive to the life of the person as cancer is to the human body.

The roots of codependency lie in some childhood trauma. Generally it is inflicted by one or both of the child's parents through abuse, neglect, effects of a parent's addiction, or by projection of the parent's own codependency onto the child. The wound produces feelings of pain and grief in the child. However, the dysfunctional family structure fails to acknowledge the pain and to support the child in grief. In order to function within the family, the child suppresses the grief. As the process repeats, the child gradually loses awareness of his "true self," his natural feelings, his own perceptions, his native reactions to the situation and a codependent self develops in the place of this lost "true self."
Old 05-26-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Hi Missus -

The answers to that will come after you have done your "step 4", which is a searching and fearless moral inventory. I wish I could be more specific, but it is different for every person.

All I can say is that the more you work at your recovery, the more you will learn about yourself, and you will begin to have "lightbulb moments". When you are well established in your recovery, you will look back and wonder: "how could I ever have felt that sad and desperate?"

God Bless and stay on the path to recovery.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

work, work, work, work, work
Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

My "codie" issues went way, way, way back, long before my alcoholic/addict husband became a part of my life. I agree with the general census, most of the reasons came out in Steps 4 & 5. (Mine personally, I needed someone to love me, because I didn't love myself & I was willing to go to any lengths for someone to love me, as you can tell, I was a very, very sick person)
Remember - nothing changes, if nothing changes - work on you!!
One Day At a Time,
Rita
Old 05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check out Co-Dependent No More and I think you will find answers to all the questions you asked.

Confusing to me,too how I "got" here......I think it was trying to "keep the peace" and in the process the dynamics changed. AH got/gets hostile and demanding,verbally abusive and borderline physical stuff at one time (throwing things,etc) when he drinks. I guess I gave away some of my power trying to keep things quieter for me and the kids.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robina
, you will look back and wonder: "how could I ever have felt that sad and desperate?"

That is good to know I have had a few hours at a time like that, but the past few days have been rotten...thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I now recognize myself as being codependent, but it has nothing to do with my childhood. I had the most wonderful childhood and nuturing balanced parents. So I really question the explaination that codependency stems from ones childhood experiences. For me, meeting my older AH at the young age of 19, still very impressionable and still trying to find myself molded me into codependency and a 27 year marriage of living with an alcoholic. Why we become codependent can certainly be very complex and we don't all fit into the same mold.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for your perspective, lizzy girl. We all are truly different and have different reasons why we ended up where we did. I think when you are in the throes of codependency, it really doesn't matter what caused it. Much like the alcoholic trying to analyze what causes them to drink while they are still drinking. They must eliminate the drinking before going to the next level.

For codependents, I think we must stop our self-destructive behaviors before we can figure out the deeper causes of that behavior. Of course, there is a lot of gray area there, but doing healthier things can certainly help us to see things more clearly.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think sometimes we just want what everyone wants and think if we sacrifice and worok hard we'll be like other people. We are told marriage takes work and compromise and we just don't know the normal boundaries between reasonable. Marriages that endure requires couples who stay and work through things. If we leave our relationships, we feel that we didn't try hard enough. Oh sure, our alcoholics are unreasonable. We also fool ourselves into thinking that "better or worse" locks us in. Truth is we can remain in a bad relationship if we expect absolutely nothing, which is exactly what we get sometimes.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ps.......we spend haours remembering the vows we spoke and the promsies we made. We spend toooooooooooooooooo little time remembering the vows and promises that were spoken to us.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Because we love them. Because we care.

Detaching goes against what, IMHO , a normal person feels we should do.

But you have to let the drowning man go and swim for shore. Otherwise, you will end up at the bottom of the Ocean too.

God, thats so easy to say.......soooooo hard to do!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guyinNC
Detaching goes against what, IMHO , a normal person feels we should do.
Actually, I disagree. The healthiest people I know are the ones that let others do their own thing and learn from their own mistakes. Do you really understand the meaning of the concept, guy?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually, Minnie, maybe it's the definition of "normal person" that is in question here. I really thought I was a normal person until I really began to look at my life and behaviors.

Just a thought,

L
Old 05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Normal? What's normal? LTD, you're right, I did too. Now I know there is no normal. I'm aiming for healthy.

Besides, I've never wanted to be average......
Old 05-30-2006, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a normal, there is a right and a wrong.

Yes we have to learn from our mistakes, and you have to learn how to detach. I'm trying to learn.

Let people do there own thing and learn from there own mistakes. Easy statement......unless its your child that is holding a loaded gun to his head.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can't say I'd agree there is a "normal".

I think there are things that are healthy and unhealthy and some shades in between...

it's not for me to decided what is right or wrong for someone else..Only do I have any control over my own life..and what is right or wrong FOR ME.

I can see Guy that you still haven't quite grasped the concept of Step 1..which is powerlessness...

we may not like the choices that others make with their lives..but it is their life..

My brother chose to take his own life at age 34...he struggled with his addiction since he was 15.

Was it a choice I would have made? No..I chose a path of recovery.

look..it was my brother's life to do as he wished...

I wished he had chosen differently but nothing we as a family did would have made a difference..

Let go Guy...

accept your powerlessness and it will help you detach.