Notices

tough weekend ahead....

Old 05-26-2006, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tough weekend ahead....

Hi all! I have a tough weekend ahead of me and i'm looking for words of wisdom and encouragement. We're taking our yearly camping trip to Maine with a group of friends (at least 20....all of whom drink). This is the same time last year that i threw in the towel. This year is different, i'm really glad to be sober today, my husband isn't drinking, my friends know we're not drinking (my friends now know that i AM an alcoholic). I have a plan to call my sponsor and other people in the program all weekend. I'm bringing my Big Book, my Day by Day Meditations Book, my Courage to Change book, my journal and my guitar! I just robbed the breakage area at work of a bunch of Snapple and Glaceau so i should have plenty to drink. I think i'll be ok, and i'm looking forward to this weekend (sober).

Also, today i graduate from the IOP program i've been in for the last 10 weeks, so that's also a big deal. Life is Good today!

I hope everyone has a great, sober weekend.......i plan to!

luv,
Cheryl
Old 05-26-2006, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was worried about the weekend, too! Holidays seem made for our (formerly) favorite activity! I asked some SR folks to check with me Monday if they hadn't heard from me so I can't relapse and fade away from the site - sort of a Jiminy Cricket external conscience helper thing If you want to, check in Monday or Tuesday, too - that way we can celebrate "getting to the other side of the weekend" together!
Sounds like it will be a help having your friends informed and on your side - I'm sure that will make it easier. Breathe deep, enjoy the natural air and know that you're back to being part of the world and not screening yourself off from it by drinking. You're doing the right thing every day you're sober! Come back here to SR on Monday or Tuesday and share some funny camping stories with us
Old 05-26-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wishful
I was worried about the weekend, too! Holidays seem made for our (formerly) favorite activity! I asked some SR folks to check with me Monday if they hadn't heard from me so I can't relapse and fade away from the site - sort of a Jiminy Cricket external conscience helper thing If you want to, check in Monday or Tuesday, too - that way we can celebrate "getting to the other side of the weekend" together!
Sounds like it will be a help having your friends informed and on your side - I'm sure that will make it easier. Breathe deep, enjoy the natural air and know that you're back to being part of the world and not screening yourself off from it by drinking. You're doing the right thing every day you're sober! Come back here to SR on Monday or Tuesday and share some funny camping stories with us
i will do that! I'll be able to remember the funny stories.....that will be a change! Good luck Wishful, we can do it!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Have A Plan In Place

Hi Im Sharon And Im an Alcoholic.

Camping sounds like fun. Of course for me before i got sober, i went to several family camping trips with the scouts. I knew i had to get thru 3 days without drinking and figured that would be easy for me. Sure i made it thru the first 2 days before anxiety crept in and wishing i was already home with my wonderful glass of wine.

In early sobriety i knew how squirrely i would be around folks that drank. My sponsor suggested to me that i should have a plan in place before heading to those kinds of functions where alcohol would be available. First, go in ur own car and that way if u feel uncomfortable then u can leave. Have a good excuse to leave if u have to.

I knew in early sobriety i was very vunerable. So changing people places and things that would remind me of alcohol was top priority.

This weekend my husband and 2 kids 19 and 21 are heading to Dallas for a family wedding. I didnt want to go so i will stay home a hold the fort down. All i could think about was being around in-law family members drinking and having a grand old time. How can i enjoy myself being around folks under the influence. Like when i drank, i was giggly, loud and much more.......today im sober and i like the way i feel. I dont want to be and dont like to be caught in an uncomfortable situation, so im taking care of myself...possibly a selfish way of thinking.....but hey.....im sober and happy. : )

So my family is leaving around noonish today and ill have the house to myself till possibly Monday. Just me, my little boys (cats) birds and fish. : ) Happy, joyous and free.

Have a safe and sober weekend taking with u the tools of recovery to help u and guide u along the way.

If anyone needs company or just someone to chat with feel free to message me here. Ill be available.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Cheryl, Good for you! Hope you have a great (and sober) time camping. Think about how beautiful the mornings will be when you are feeling healthy and clear eyed!! Bring along some near-beer if you think that will help. For some people that doesn't work, but for others it makes them feel like they are "joining in". Beats a real beer.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally never drank in public, always alone. So this wouldn't have bothered me in any way. However, I agree with "having a plan" in place before hand. For instance when I go to see my mom and the bad memories return, I ensure I drive into that town so I can leave when I want.

Levi
Old 05-26-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Near Beer = Poison

Originally Posted by MNGirlyGirl
Hi Cheryl, Good for you! Hope you have a great (and sober) time camping. Think about how beautiful the mornings will be when you are feeling healthy and clear eyed!! Bring along some near-beer if you think that will help. For some people that doesn't work, but for others it makes them feel like they are "joining in". Beats a real beer.

Hi Cheryl. Sharon an Alcoholic here again.

By the Grace of God I havent had a drink since Aug 11, 1990. And for that I am truely grateful.

When i got sober, i realized that the people i best felt like i fit in with where people that understood me.

I understand the need to want to fit in. To be a part of.

People that u can relate to, people that understand this disease and people that have stayed sober for sometime r the real winners to stick close to. That's if u have the DESIRE to stay sober and go to any lengths to do so.

NEAR BEER from what i know of has ALCOHOL in it.....For me ALCOHOL is POISON. To drink for me is to die, get drunk or go crazy. Having a wet brain saturated with alcohol. Even tho near beer has a low percentage of alcohol in it.....drinking one gives me the ok that is fine to drink one, then 2 , then.....just drink the whole darn case and more then hang myself. Im sorry....but that how i would see myself as if i gave myself the ok to do that.

If u have the desire to stay sober and if u want what we have then u will go to any lengths to stay sober. Changing people, places and things that remind u of alcohol was something i had to take seriously in early recovery.

NEAR BEER is a "THING" that would remind me of a can with a SKULL and CROSS BONE on it with the word "POISON" on it.

Replacing it with coffee, tea, fruit juices, or just plain WATER is fine. Dont u think?

Thanks for letting me share again.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NEAR BEER is a "THING" that would remind me of a can with a SKULL and CROSS BONE on it with the word "POISON" on it.

Replacing it with coffee, tea, fruit juices, or just plain WATER is fine. Dont u think?
in the past, i would bring a 12pk of O'Doul's with me just for that reason, so i would feel like i was drinking with everyone else. I'm not doing that this time, i'm sticking with coffee, water, snapple & vitamin water. I really think i'm getting it this time (i know.... i've said that before). TODAY i get it! Thanks Sharon
Old 05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about the weekend. The beast within is already planning my bender. I have told him that I want to do a run on Sunday, and he will have to wait til at least after that, and after we get back from the shore on Sun, but he is not happy with that. Keeps telling me to stock up now, a few beers won't hurt your run (yea, right, and the gal in the mich ultra ads got her abs from the beer).

I'm going to try to stay sober all weekend, sooner or later I have to figure out how to get through holidays. Thats the best I can do.

Good luck, All!

S
Old 05-26-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, the holidays can be tough. Usually one long "party". I was very worried about boating and parties, so I bought some flavored iced teas and energy drinks to take along to these events.
Turns out, I will be home alone with my kids b/c my husband and older son are helping to build a garage up north and will be gone for two days. This will be wierd since husband and I have only spent three nights apart in fifteen years. It is good, too- without my husband and his friends' activities, I will not be in a drinking situation- I never drank at home or family events(That's a whole other thing- how can I be so out of control at a bar or party and still lock myself down for months/even years at home??? I also manage it at work functions- can stick to one glass of wine all night and not go out after).
Anyway, the kids and I are going to the museum, movies, and some new restaurants . The advice that I would offer is to try doing something totally different to keep the beasts at bay.
Have a great weekend!

Kayte
Old 05-30-2006, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I DID IT! I DID IT!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wonderful!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats, igfan!!!!!