OT- Superstition

Old 05-25-2006, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Wink OT- Superstition

I've always been interested in myths, legends, superstitions, etc.- not that I necessarily believe in them. So--at this very moment, I have an opossum cowered up against the corner of my front door and balcony railing!!!

I live on the 2nd floor of an apt. complex that has nearly 400 units. This is VERY weird and I noticed it about an hour ago when I took AH to work. It hissed at us, but has made no aggressive moves and is quite small and adorable really.

I put bread crumbs down to make a trail down to the grass, but it's not following the crumbs ! I asked maintenance to help, but a new guy was on and told me to call the office when they open.

I'm either going to try and box it up myself and carry down in a minute or ask for help again. I just DO NOT want them to hurt/kill the thing.

I looked up what an opossum symbolizes and guess what??? It's spirit is said to be that of "sensibility, gained wisdom and RECOVERY." Just thought I'd share! Now off to trap and release the marsupial...
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would be very careful mega! Aren't possum's nighttime critters? He/she may have rabies. If it has to be destroyed, then that is best. It is rare to see them out and cowering like that.

Call animal control or the office again. I wouldn't attempt that in any way, shape or form. It may also carry the distemper virus which is an airborne virus and can be passed along to your cats.

Once it's removed, I'd disinfect the entire area with bleach or an environmentally safe disinfectant and cleaner.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

It may also carry the distemper virus which is an airborne virus and can be passed along to your cats.
Thanks Judy and that scares the crap out of me!! My cat is actually in need of her distemper renewal vac. I did not realize it was an airborne virus. YIKES. Ok, I'll take your advice about calling the office/animal control and will disinfect. Yes, opposums are usually nocturnal. I don't know why it is up here like this and why when it came up here last night(??) that it did not find its way down by morning. Very odd indeed.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the symbolism thing is awesome! be careful mega!
Old 05-25-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YIKES! I agree. Don't go near it. Their teeth look like needles. I live out in no mans land and I have all kinds of pesky little critters show up. There actually was a rabies scare around here a few years ago. A raccoon was hanging around and bit a stray cat that I had been feeding. The cat attacked my dad's leg, scratched him, and my dad had to get rabies shots. The humane officer captured the cat, euthanized it, and it came back positive for rabies. I don't know if it did any good, but I scrubbed everything within a 2 acre area w/ bleach.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Ok- office has been called. I ran into my neighbor on my way home just now and she said the opossum was on her doorstep at 7AM this morning and she rattled keys to get it to move. It moved over to my doorstep and has been there ever since. Hopefully those jokers in maintenance will come over asap.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sounds like it's sick to me. hope they get there soon and take care of it safely.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no doubt the office will call animal control. i wouldn't be able to get
a maintenance guy on staff to move it i know that for sure (wimps..lol)
just becareful in the meantime, you never know how a cornered animal
will react.....
Old 05-25-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by megamysterioso
It moved over to my doorstep and has been there ever since. .
Oh great! try the key thing to scare it back to her door step!

I use to go into work really early and one day I herd some noises as I walked past the buildings dumpster. I looked inside the empty dumpster and there was racoon looking right back at me. He couldn't climb out because it was empty so he was just stuck in there. When I got into the building I called Animal control, told the story and the guy on the phone said can you get him out? I'm like... uh... no! Can't you guys come get him and release him in some happy raccon wilderness? He said no becasue it's a local subburban raccon and probably has a life here in the city and would be displaced in the country. ?!?!?!?... anyway... the guy said find a long two by four or tree limb or something you can put in the dumpster so he can climb out.

I did and he climbed out and that's my story.
So what does a racoon signify?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Hey guys and thanks. What a weird morning!! The maintenance men (they actually came Patty ) just left with opposum in tow!!!! It took 3 of them I guess (one was wearing gardener's gloves lol) to take it downstairs.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hey jazz....

Raccoon holds the mystical symbolism of disguise, secrecy and curiosity behind the beautiful mask that defines this little bandit.

If Raccoon enters your life, prepare to explore all the facets behind your own mask, as you transform what you are to what you want to be.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Can't you guys come get him and release him in some happy raccon wilderness?
Jazz- LMAO. I once had 3 armadillos charge my ass in middle of the night! Not even kidding- it was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. Here's what the raccoon symbolizes:

"The raccoon is a powerful ally and holds the gift of transformation. When it appears in a persons life the many faces of self are about to be revealed."

Does it fit Jazz??? Spooky huh?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

*jazz takes big hit from joint staring deeply at his held up thumb and says*
"You mean one molecule in my thumb could be an entire universe for miniature people?... woooaaahhh".

Anyone else hungry?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bahahahahaha!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

...spitting carrott all over the keyboard.......lol
Old 05-25-2006, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

ROFLMAO-- yeah- I'm starving! Time for granola "breakfast!" God, my eating habits suck these days. LOL.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was feeling low on cholesterol so I just had a steak & cheese sub.
Damn, it's gonna take an hour on the treadmill tonight to work that puppy off... Ugh
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jazz quote:

I was feeling low on cholesterol so I just had a steak & cheese sub.
Damn, it's gonna take an hour on the treadmill tonight to work that puppy off... Ugh

Yeah but wasn't it good!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

patty's eating carrots and jazz finished off a steak & cheese sub?

i had about 10 mini tootsie rolls and 2 cheese covered wheat crackers so far today. hmmm....looks like my nutrition plan went out the window huh?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

sounds like we should be on a different forum ....we have one here
O.E. ....check it sometime.....