Notices

Idiotic relapse

Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Idiotic relapse

So I first came to this site in October 2005 after I quit drinking. Things were going great and I lasted about 7 months. But damn, I got lazy and stupid and went out with some friends this past Friday night. So that Friday merged into Saturday then into Sunday and a little into Monday of almost solid beer drinking. Now, thank God I came to my senses and quit again. Why in the hell did I drink? I have to endure the crappy withdrawal symptoms again. But I made it through the first 24 hrs which has always been the hardest for me and seem to be doing OK since the binge was reletivly short. But I guess its back to these boards for good for me. I thought I had it beat but I am not so lucky I learned (again). I should say the mysterious nature of the alcoholic mind made me think I could 'just have a few' even though I know I can't and I have even written posts on this board to this effect before. What is so weird is that I'm a smart guy and I use prudence and good judgement in everything I do....except for drinking. Its back to AA meetings again for me too becasue if I had been more active in meetings I dont think I would have relapsed if I was a more regular AA attendee.

Just a little cautionary tale for some of you who hve some sober time under your belt.
I honestly think drinking can't be controlled by people like me, only completley abstained from.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to sobriety!...

For me AA meetings are vital
and my friends there are invaluable.

Congratulations on your new resolve..
Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're absolutely right Mister7 - abstaining is the only way to go.

My 'addict's mind' still talks to me, but much less frequently and I think the trick is recognizing it right away, for what it is and ignoring it.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Originally Posted by Mister7
I honestly think drinking can't be controlled by people like me, only completley abstained from.
Wise words Mister7 - I'm a person like you too. Well done for making it back. You mention AA, well that was the key for me, go for it, life really does get better.

much love
JC
Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

meetings are good, but they're not the answer.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, Mister,

Dont beat your self up, 7 months is great!, so ya slipped up, now you are better prepared than ever to right things again. For 7 solid months, you kept the beast at bay, so he jumped ya when you were not looking, next time you will be better prepared.

If you were a serious drinker for any lenght of time, then once in 7 months is certainly much better for your life and health then every 7 days, or hours as the case may be.

I am still a work in progress, and measure my gains in weeks, or may months, but since coming to SR, the off times have been longer, and, when I do fall, it's not for weeks or months, maybe just 1-2 days.

You are doing great, now just stay with it!

S
Old 05-24-2006, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Ya Mister7,

Sorry to hear about the relapse. I've been there and I know it is frustrating. I also know about the twisting of the mind such that you think you can handle it when really you can't.

It took me a while, but I realized that I simply quit and I don't drink. There are no maybes about it as I am not able to drink.

Welcome back, Levi
Old 05-24-2006, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mister7
But damn, I got lazy and stupid Why in the hell did I drink? Just a little cautionary tale for some of you who hve some sober time under your belt.
Hi Mister.....welcome back.

Yep I can relate, I got lazy too a very fitting word for us LAZY. I was close to having 6 months in which I worked so darn hard at, got lazy went back down and been fighting since Nov 2005 to get back on track again, I wasn't so lucky to get really going again. Today I feel I am, looks like you are too yipppppeeeee.
Agrees again, people like me has to totally abstain, no such thing as controlled drinking with this body I have, or I'm in trouble which I found out the hard way once more....darn those hard lessons, and some of us bonehead still don't learn.

Thanks for being here and posting your message, that helps a lot. Also wishing you a continued safe journey in your sobriety.