Notices

Hello

Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello every-one, this is my first time on the forum so dont really know where to start!. I guess its easiest to say ive come on here because I have a problem with drink. I find the whole concept of trying to give up drinking very daunting and at times impossible. I guess I have had a drink prblem for 10 years now but its probably only the last few months ive admitted it, ive never been able to just have one drink its always been a case of drinking until I drop. Ive tried giving up drinking in the past but its been for the wrong reason (namley not for me). I drink on average 2 bottles of wine a night everynight and ive recently reduced this to one as the times ive stopted altogether and sleepless nites, body aching and massive depression just seems too much to handle in one go, how do other people feel about reducing the drink slowly or am i just kidding myself?

Thanks

Jason
Old 05-23-2006, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jason, good luck with your recovery - you have come to the right place for a lot of support and helpful ideas.
If you CAN cut down gradually then I recommend that you do it - it may help to ease any withdrawal symptoms - which believe me - are best avoided.
For me - I could not reduce gradually. One drink and I was off until I hit the wall. I had to quit completely and at once. I went cold turkey and I can advise anyone who HAS to do it this way to seek a doctor's advice first. For me I was so intoxicated at the end that I could not even get to the doctor.
Best wishes!
Nick
Old 05-23-2006, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Nick,

It means alot!

Ive done the cold turkey before and it was a living hell, I managed to stop drinking for 5 weeks a year ago and felt so much better and I was living again rather than just existing!, the problem I always find is that I will manage a few days and start to feel better and stupidly decide to congratulate myself by getting completly out of it then waking up the next day felling as though ive let myself down so badly and then the depression starts to set in and I go back to my old ways. Im hoping this time will be different and its been an absolute god send finding this forum.

Take care
Jason
Old 05-23-2006, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Know what you mean! I was in that very cycle for years - bingeing then abstainining for a couple of weeks. Each cycle got progressively worse. The last few binges were horrific and ended in A&E.
In the midst of the last cycle I just knew that I had had enough. I was killing myself. A voice inside said "right you have had enough now!" I surrendered.
What a relief that surrender was.
That was almost a year ago and I have not had a drink since.
AA has certainly helped me to "clean house" and get my life in order. I now know a new and better way of living - one day at a time.
Go for it!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

My ESH below. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Welcome Newcomers

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Thanks for sharing Jason and welcome to SR.

For me to stop drinking completely on my own was impossible. It was thru family intervention and that alcohol had stopped working for me that I was driving to the doors of Rehab in the back of a handless police car back in Aug.90. It was my family doing for me what i couldnt do for myself. For them im truely grateful.

At the beginning it was suggested that I work on my alcoholism first then address other issues later. Well, i did that up until last yr. I had stopped drinking and incorporated the steps into my everyday life, but i was still miserable. Something inside me just didnt feel right.

So, upon watching a commercail on tv about anxiety and depression due to a chemical embalance, it was then that i decided to seek the medical help that i so often brushed aside due to my stubborness. It took awhile to find something that worked with my system because our bodies r all different. Today, because i took the suggestions to heart and seek the help needed, I am alot more pleasant to live with. Its sad that it took me 14 yrs to address that issue and if i had known what a difference this would have made in my life and for those living with me or around me much better, i wouldnt have waited so long.

So for u Jason, when u go to ur AA meetings, a place where u will not feel alone, listen to the suggestion freely given to u to help u and guide u as u begin ur journey in recovery.

Find u someone u can call upon when u feel like drinking. Changes in recovery are not easy, but are necessary if u want to stay sober. Suggestions freely given to me at the beginning like changing or getting rid of PEOPLE, PLACES AND THINGS that remind u of alcohol. That means if u dont have alcohol in ur home u will not drink it. So no bottle, cans in the home. No bars, clubs..anything that reminds u of drinking. People,,,those so called friends of urs that hang out at clubs and bars....they r not going anywheres...most will still be there yrs to come....but for u....uve replaced them with the fellowship of AA.

It took yrs of drinking, putting POISON into my body that was literally killing me to finally take it one day at a time not to drink to crawl out of the fog or distorted vision i saw myself and the world around me in.

To drink for me is to DIE. And i almost did twice. One was running of the road hitting a concrete culvert sitting on top the ground sustaining many broken ribs with one puncturing my spleen. They removed it are else i would have bled to death. That was in Feb 90. Then a few months later when i finally took my first drink after healing nicely.....I tried to end my misery by downing pain pills. The progression of my disease was very rapid in those few months.

Our disease is CUNNING, BAFFLING AND POWERFUL. It can stike at any time destroying onesself and those around us. The only way to put this disease to rest is to not drink ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Jason ur in a good place here in SR with lots of good sobriety. Come back here to read members share their own experiences, strengths and hope with u and others. Remember you never ever have to go through getting sober by urself. Follow the suggestion, get u a sponsor, recieve the tools of recovery...the BIG BOOK and the 12 and 12 Step Book, and hold on tight as u begin ur journey sober learning how to live happy, joyous and free one day at a time sharing ur own ESH with others.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome Jason,
all great posts above me,cant really add more to them.
Personally for myself i had,had---enough--and headed to the AA recovery rooms.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone this really feels like a turning point in my life! Ive had enough of waking up in police cells and generally feeling like crap every-day, I want my life back again.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hello Jason..... welcome to you..... you mention police'a cells... any institutions?..... next stop, death..... however you may find it works for you to stop, do it, when you do..... stay stop'd..... you will have a far better life..... its a great recovery site here Jason.... wonder around, read some threads, ask questions, reply, and digest it. ..... for me, that oh so open mind that you may read about has kept me sober for a bit of time...... try permanent sobriety, wad'a you have to loose.....? all good wishes to you Jason, and if ya can, give a little love..... pattee
Old 05-23-2006, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried cutting back a hundred times and it never worked for me. For one thing, I was still obsessing about alcohol all the time and that was not what I wanted. But, I could never maintain the cutback. Stopping completely was the only thing that worked for me. It IS hard to do it, but it is so worth it.

I wish you well Jason.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hi Jason and welcome to SR. Yep, I think that most of us have tried the control drinking aspect, but we truly have no control over the drink once we put it into our systems. We have a allergic reaction, and that first one sets up a train of them. Once we start, we can not stop. Anyway My name is Vic and I am an addict (alcohol is a drug), just wanted to welcome you. Hang in there Just For Today!

Vic
Old 05-23-2006, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How many of you feel serious depression as a result of not drinking anymore?

Ive always been confused by this to this day, im still not sure if im depressed because I drink or drink because im depressed...only time will tell i guess.

Jason
Old 05-23-2006, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by jason2006
How many of you feel serious depression as a result of not drinking anymore?

Ive always been confused by this to this day, im still not sure if im depressed because I drink or drink because im depressed...only time will tell i guess.

Jason
Most alcoholics/addicts suffer from depression, and since the drink is really a depressant, that really screws with us. The thing that you might want to do is maybe try some AA/NA, counsoling, or even your doctor. I know that I am on anti-D's and I would really be a miserable SOB without them. Just hang in there Jason, take it easy, and remember NOT TO DRINK NO MATTER WHAT!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jason....a warm welcome to SoberRecovery. Raising hand also.......no way can I do the controlled drinking thing, it has to be NONE.

Depression....ahhhh yeah very familiar with that little buggar. All I can say, I believe it will go away in time once your body learns to live sober.....think about it WHAT A SHOCKER after drinking to much over the years.

Last year at this time, I started on the sober path, I experienced depression in a big way, lots of emotions started boiling out of me, that's when you need to stop and take some deep breaths, accept things, then let them go. I made a mistake of giving in almost putting 6 months together, months that I worked real hard to achieve......well I'm starting over and this time I know what to expect....you will too, you just gotta give this time....willingness to do whatever it takes.....ohhhhhhhhhh it's so worth it.

Glad you found us and wishing you all the best on your journey to sobriety. You've been blessed finding this gang here....best teachers around....you gotta really pay attention to what they say, trust me on that one.

Hugs.....Denise
Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been blessed finding this site...and to be honest it has left me feeling very emotional with all the support shown, I like to thank-you all very much. I know that if I go and see my doctor and ask for anti-D`s they will just tell me that I drink too much, ive done 5 weeks clean before but some days the depression is unbearable and then the drinking begins again!

What way Iam meant to turn?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jason2006
I have been blessed finding this site...and to be honest it has left me feeling very emotional with all the support shown, I like to thank-you all very much. I know that if I go and see my doctor and ask for anti-D`s they will just tell me that I drink too much, ive done 5 weeks clean before but some days the depression is unbearable and then the drinking begins again!

What way Iam meant to turn?
Feeling emotional is a good thing at times...makes us HUMAN, you'll get used of everyone here soon enough Jason....just let us all love you and help you along.

I seen my Dr hmmm to long ago, I did tell him about my drinking and depression.....he just told me to stop drinking and the depresson will leave. He didn't mention any kind of meds to me, part of me feels he's right for me anyway. The depression stinks in a big way, but can be eased with meditation, journalling....oh that's helped me..staying real close to my HP...ah that one's tops for me, if I let those go, down I go again.

You ask what way are you meant to turn? Keep moving forward is what you need to do. It will get better, just gotta be patient.

Here's a link from here, the Alcohol part....it's worth checking out....Quitting What To Expect..it has PAWS on it....that explains a lot also http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47857

Hang in there Jason....keep posting, hang in there.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The link for PAWS.....http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Hope it helps you, it's opened my eyes to what to expect after long term drinking.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome, I wish you well and peace as you move through this incredible transition into a new life.

You know I have been around AA and this forum, etc., for the past two years and it was only recently that I read about PAWS. I had NO IDEA and wondered why I had struggled with relapse for so long. That PAWS is a real killer and it helped to read about it and become familiar with the cycle.

So much for 90 days of alcohol free and you are clean, turns out the body requires months to really detox properly ... including your mind. THAT is a real help to understand and it makes sense given that it took years for the alcohol to affect every part of my system.

Levi
Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Michael!

As you can see by the kind responses, this is a wonderful place! Kick up your feet and stay with us. We'll be here for you all the way! You can do this.

Cheryl
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

How about trying a meeting? They don't maintain membership rolls. You don't have to commit to anything. Just go in, grab a cup of coffee, and listen. If you're an alcoholic, and it sounds as though you are, you'll hear something that you can relate to. Then, you may want to go back in order to find out how those folks got and stayed sober.

Worked for me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah