Notices

Massive amount of drugs in home right now...

Old 05-18-2006, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Massive amount of drugs in home right now...

Hey Yall:

Because my son is graduating next week, I have ALOT of family in my home right now... mostly elderly, all on medication addicts like: xanax, hydrocodone, mophine patches... god you name it. Everyone is keeping their meds in their rooms which is great.

I know its there because I watched everyone unpack but atleast it isnt 'dsiplayed'.

I have never felt the need to tell my family of my addiction because A: they would never believe it B: they are all addicts themselves soo.

My question is:

Although I feel no temptation, couldnt care less about them being in the house, not day-dreaming or anything. They mean no more to me than a baby aspirin would.

Should I ask my houseguest to, because we have young children, put their meds in the wall safe and give them the combination (It is digital and can be changed whenever).

I only ask this because I dont have even 6 months clean and ya'll know better than I what a addict in early recovery should do... regardless of their lack of want, need or urge.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Wall safe or on a open counter.... you still need stay strong. A moment at a time if neded, if an urge ever comes.
Meds in the safe or put up out of reach of children is a good idea no matter if there is an addiction in the house or not.

They are only there for a visit. You can stay stronge I am sure of. Just remember the steps and use them as needed.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

You have every right to ask them to lock them up, OR at least keep them out of sight. It's your house - your kids - and your recovery. Why take chances this early on? Good question, BB!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Beachbabe,

I just wanted to check in with you and see how you are doing. Did you decide to lock everything in a safe?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Beachbabe,

Although I agree with much that has been said, most folks already have the sense to keep medicines out of the reach of children. You're in somewhat of a quandry, because it is difficult to portray rationality when you come out with; "Hey your drugs make me nervous (If they do make you tense that is)", since you have not been forthcoming (for whatever reason) with your addiction. People have the right to be addicted, but it is your home and you do not have to reveal what your reasoning is when you ask them to lock up or otherwise stash their medications. If you can change the combo, have them select a combo for their stay and they can leave the safe open when they leave, that way, you never know the combo while the dope is in your house.