Developing compassion.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Developing compassion.

Without reservation I believe this is my route to peace. What I understood from life, what I had been taught from people I most respected suddenly became what I needed for my emotional survival. In reading the teaching of the Dalai Lama I felt as though for the first time issues I'd groped for were becoming clear.

So here he is on 'developing compassion'.
Developing compassion

Some of my friends have told me that, while love and compassion are marvelous and good, they are not really very relevant. Our world, they say, is not a place where such beliefs have much influence or power. They claim that anger and hatred are so much a part of human nature that humanity will always be dominated by them. I do not agree.

We humans have existed in our present form for about a hundred-thousand years. I believe that if during this time the human mind had been primarily controlled by anger and hatred, our overall population would have decreased. But today, despite all our wars, we find that the human population is greater than ever. This clearly indicates to me that love and compassion predominate in the world.

And this is why unpleasant events are "news"; compassionate activities are so much part of daily life that they are taken for granted and, therefore, largely ignored.

So far I have been discussing mainly the mental benefits of compassion, but it contributes to good physical health as well. According to my personal experience, mental stability and physical well-being are directly related. Without question, anger and agitation make us more susceptible to illness. On the other hand, if the mind is tranquil and occupied with positive thoughts, the body will not easily fall prey to disease.

But of course it is also true that we all have an innate Self-centeredness that inhibits our love for others. So, since we desire the true happiness that is brought about by only a calm mind, and since such peace of mind is brought about by only a compassionate attitude, how can we develop this? Obviously, it is not enough for us simply to think about how nice compassion is! We need to make a concerted effort to develop it; we must use all the events of our daily life to transform our thoughts and behaviour.

First of all, we must be clear about what we mean by compassion. Many forms of compassionate feeling are mixed with desire and attachment. For instance, the love parents feel of their child is often strongly associated with their own emotional needs, so it is not fully compassionate. Again, in marriage, the love between husband and wife –particularly at the beginning, when each partner still may not know the other's deeper character very well -depends more on attachment than genuine love. Our desire can be so strong that the person to whom we are attached appears to be good, when in fact he or she is very negative. In addition, we have a tendency to exaggerate small positive qualities. Thus when one partner's attitude changes, the other partner is often disappointed and his or her attitude changes too. This is an indication that love has been motivated more by personal need than by genuine care for the other individual.

True compassion is not just an emotional response but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude towards others does not change even if they behave negatively.

Of course, developing this kind of compassion is not at all easy! As a start, let us consider the following facts:

Whether people are beautiful and friendly or unattractive and disruptive, ultimately they are human beings, just like oneself. Like oneself, they want happiness and do not want suffering. Furthermore, their right to overcome suffering and be happy is equal to one's own. Now, when you recognize that all beings are equal in both their desire for happiness and their right to obtain it, you automatically feel empathy and closeness for them. Through accustoming your mind to this sense of universal altruism, you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems. Nor is this wish selective; it applies equally to all. As long as they are human beings experiencing pleasure and pain just as you do, there is no logical basis to discriminate between them or to alter your concern for them if they behave negatively.

Let me emphasize that it is within your power, given patience and time, to develop this kind of compassion. Of course, our self,centeredness, our distinctive attachment to the feeling of an independent, self,existent "I", works fundamentally to inhibit our compassion. Indeed, true compassion can be experienced only when this type of self, grasping is eliminated. But this does not mean that we cannot start and make progress now.
I added the bold bits because detachment is talked about so much he and I think he puts it very well.

There's much more to be found here:
http://www.dalailama.com/page.10.htm
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks E.

I love the Dalai Lama. I'm sure you have read "The Art of Happiness".

I'm also a big fan of Pema Chodron and her work on compassion as well.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Binge poster

very very very good. I could get sacked if I don't pull myself out of that website!

thanks for that

J
xxx
Old 05-16-2006, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pema chodron has helped me immensely get through the nightmare of my daughter's (totally unknown) addiction to prescription drugs. our world overnight became chaotic (replete with full blown psychotic break). i am learning to lean into the pain and pray and pray and pray.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like his reasoning, his respect to the reader to think for themselves, his genuiness, but most of all it has to be his wisdom.

There are very few famous characters that have had as much impact on my life - perhaps only one other, maybe two...