Notices

Alcoholism... but it doesn't act like a disease

Old 05-15-2006, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism... but it doesn't act like a disease

Found this at http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/info2/a/aa022697.htm

But It Doesn't Act Like a Disease!

One of the difficulties in recognizing alcoholism as a disease is it just plain doesn't seem like one. It doesn't look, sound, smell and it certainly doesn't act like a disease. To make matters worse, generally it denies it exists and resists treatment.

Alcoholism has been recognized for many years by professional medical organizations as a primary, chronic, progressive and sometimes fatal disease. The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence offers a detailed and complete definition of alcoholism, but probably the most simple way to describe it is "a mental obsession that causes a physical compulsion to drink."

Mental obsession? Did you ever wake up in the morning with a song playing over and over in your head? It might have been a commercial jingle you heard on television, or a song from the radio, but it kept playing ... and playing and playing.

Mental Obsession
Remember what that was like? No matter what you did, that silly tune kept on playing. You could try to whistle or sing another song or turn on the radio and listen to another tune, but the one in your head just kept on playing. Think about it. There was something going on in your mind that you didn't put there and, no matter how hard you tried, couldn't get out!

That is an example of a simple mental obsession -- a thought process over which you have no control. Such is the nature of the disease of alcoholism. When the drinking "song" starts playing in the mind of an alcoholic, he is powerless. He didn't put the song there and the only way to get it to stop is to take another drink.

The problem is the alcoholic's mental obsession with alcohol is much more subtle than a song playing in his mind. In fact, he may not even know it's there. All he knows is he suddenly has an urge to take a drink -- a physical compulsion to drink.

Progressive Disease
Compounding the problem is the progressive nature of the disease. In its early stages, taking one or two drinks may be all it takes to get the "song" to stop. But soon it takes six or seven and later maybe ten or twelve. Somewhere down the road the only time the song stops is when he passes out.

The progression of the disease is so subtle and usually takes place over such an extended period of time, that even the alcoholic himself failed to notice the point at which he lost control -- and alcohol took over -- his life.

No wonder denial is an almost universal symptom of the disease. For those who have come to the realization that they do have a problem, help may be as close as the white pages of the telephone directory. But for those who need help and do not want it, intervention may be the only alternative.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What Is Alcoholism?

from NIAAA Brochure http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/homework/a/blwhatis1.htm
Alcohol - Getting the Facts
Alcoholism, which is also known as "alcohol dependence syndrome," is a disease that is characterized by the following elements:

* Craving: A strong need, or compulsion, to drink.

* Loss of control: The frequent inability to stop drinking once a person has begun.

* Physical dependence: The occurrence of withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety, when alcohol use is stopped after a period of heavy drinking. These symptoms are usually relieved by drinking alcohol or by taking another sedative drug.

* Tolerance: The need for increasing amounts of alcohol in order to get "high."

Alcoholism has little to do with what kind of alcohol one drinks, how long one has been drinking, or even exactly how much alcohol one consumes. But it has a great deal to do with a person's uncontrollable need for alcohol.

This description of alcoholism helps us understand why most alcoholics can't just "use a little willpower" to stop drinking. He or she is frequently in the grip of a powerful craving for alcohol, a need that can feel as strong as the need for food or water.

While some people are able to recover without help, the majority of alcoholic individuals need outside assistance to recover from their disease. With support and treatment, many individuals are able to stop drinking and rebuild their lives.

Many people wonder: Why can some individuals use alcohol without problems, while others are utterly unable to control their drinking? Recent research supported by NIAAA has demonstrated that for many people, a vulnerability to alcoholism is inherited.

Yet it is important to recognize that aspects of a person's environment, such as peer influences and the availability of alcohol, also are significant influences. Both inherited and environmental influences are called "risk factors."

But risk is not destiny. Just because alcoholism tends to run in families doesn't mean that a child of an alcoholic parent will automatically develop alcoholism.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol's Drug Properties Reinforce Its Effects
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/effec...sam031014d.htm

from ACER News Release
Smell and Taste Not As Important, Study Shows
Animal research has shown that rodent infants are susceptible to the reinforcing effects of alcohol. Scientists also know that exposure to alcohol during rodent infancy can change responsiveness to alcohol later in life. A study in the October 2003 issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research has found that alcohol's reinforcing properties during rodent infancy are due to its pharmacological effects.

"In terms of brain development, the first 10 days or so after birth for the rat is, very roughly, equivalent to the third trimester of the human fetus," said Elena I. Varlinskaya, associate research professor at Binghamton University and corresponding author for the study. "The extent to which alcohol is considered "reinforcing" is measured by the extent to which the animal approaches rather than avoids the predictor of alcohol's effects, in this case, a surrogate nipple. Previous research has indicated that infants, but not adults, might find the taste of alcohol reinforcing. Infants readily consume even high concentrations, up to at least 30 percent alcohol, whereas adults are reluctant to consume concentrations higher than six percent alcohol, and will do so only after weeks or months of training; even then they will rarely accept an alcohol concentration higher than 10 percent.

"Alcohol reinforcement in adult rats has been attributed largely to its pharmacological consequences. This was much less clear for infant rats, which is the reason for the present study."

"Fetuses and infants have an amazing capacity to learn and form associations among events in their environment," added Jennifer D. Thomas, assistant professor of psychology at San Diego State University. "If an infant is exposed to the odor of alcohol in the environment, or the combined taste, odor and pharmacological effects of alcohol during fetal development or breast feeding, it is important to determine how this experience affects preference for alcohol and levels of alcohol consumption later in life. In fact, studies indicate that fetal exposure to alcohol is associated with subsequent alcohol use and abuse. This study demonstrates that the pharmacological effects of alcohol, independent of orosensory cues, contribute to the reinforcing properties of ethanol in the developing fetus/infant."

Researchers examined 196 newborn rats during three experiments. The first experiment paired the infants' experience of suckling on a nipple providing water with alcohol administered through an abdominal injection. This method of alcohol administration minimized its olfactory (smell) and gustatory (taste) attributes.

The second experiment paired alcohol with an empty nipple, or alcohol with water delivered apart from a nipple. Experiment three examined blood alcohol concentrations five minutes and 60 minutes after one of four doses of alcohol administered through an abdominal injection.

"Our key finding is that an injection of alcohol, with essentially no accompanying taste or odor, is sufficiently reinforcing to allow a newborn rat to learn with only a single experience what predicted the alcohol," said Varlinskaya. "Since there was negligible odor, taste or calories involved, the rewarding effect of injected alcohol must be derived from its effect on areas of the brain activated by drugs of abuse rather than the taste or smell. This implies that the basis of alcohol reinforcement is the same in newborn rats as in adults. This suggests that animals and people may find alcohol rewarding for the same reasons throughout their development."

"From a basic science standpoint," added Thomas, "this study will help us to understand the development of brain regions important for the reinforcing effects of alcohol and the types of associations that can be learned. The study has implications for infants exposed to alcohol in utero or via breastfeeding. Exposure to alcohol during development can be teratogenic, damaging the brain and altering behavioral development.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And just to confuse the issue...

New Genes Found For Excessive Alcohol Drinking
From Buddy T,
Your Guide to Alcoholism / Substance Abuse.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Apr 23 2006
New Targets for Further Research
Researchers have identified new genes that may contribute to excessive alcohol consumption, which provide clues to the underlying molecular mechanisms and allow scientists to focus on targets not previously implicated in excessive drinking.

The new study was conducted with strains of animals that have either a high or low innate preference for alcohol.

"These findings provide a wealth of new insights into the molecular determinants of excessive drinking, which could lead to a better understanding of alcoholism," notes NIAAA Director Ting-Kai Li, M.D. "They also underscore the value that animal models bring to the investigation of complex human disorders such as alcohol dependence."

In the current study, Susan E. Bergeson, Ph.D., of the University of Texas (UT) at Austin, and a multi-site team of scientists participating in NIAAA's Integrative Neuroscience Initiative on Alcoholism (INIA) used microarray techniques to study gene expression in the brains of selectively bred to have either a high or low preference for alcohol.

"Microarrays allow us to look at the full complement of genes that are active in the brains of animals bred to exhibit very different alcohol drinking behaviors," said Dr. Bergeson, an Assistant Professor of Neurobiology in UT's Waggoner Center for Alcohol and Addiction Research. When a gene is activated, cellular machinery transcribes certain parts of the gene's DNA into messenger RNA (mRNA), which is the body's template for creating proteins. The complete set of transcribed mRNA in a tissue is termed the "transcriptome."

The researchers examined brain transcriptomes of nine strains of mice, each with different levels of voluntary alcohol consumption.

High and Low Alcohol Consumption
"By measuring total gene expression in brains of each of the mouse models we could explore which transcripts are consistently changed in different genetic models of high and low alcohol intake and thereby define the transcriptional signatures of genetic predisposition to high and low alcohol consumption," said Dr. Bergeson.

According to a news release, "the researchers employed novel statistical techniques to identify nearly 4,000 differentially expressed genes between the high and low alcohol drinking mouse strains and to narrow the focus to 75 primary candidate genes. In addition, a comparison of the mouse data with human genetic studies revealed that genes with significant expression differences reside in chromosomal regions that previously were shown to be associated with human alcoholism."

Narrowing Research Targets
"Numerous pathways, as well as genes whose functions are currently unknown, may contribute to the genetic predisposition to drink high amounts of alcohol," said Dr. Bergeson. "Our results will allow us to begin to focus on targets never previously implicated in excessive drinking. For example, genetic studies have shown that chromosome 9 contains genes that may regulate alcohol consumption in mice. Our analyses allowed us to narrow our focus from thousands of genes in that region to 20."

"This first microarray-based analysis of a behavioral trait reveals many new research opportunities and exemplifies the rich collaborative potential of NIAAA's INIA consortium," said Dr. Li.

Source: The study was published in the April 18, 2006 issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. See also: NIAAA News Release.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/genet...iaaa060418.htm
Old 05-15-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As this has been a debate on here for a while, I thought I would post these for consideration.

So, is it nature or nurture? Is it a disease or a mental disorder? Does it really matter? You decide.

Levi
Old 05-15-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does it really matter?
It's interesting to learn all the potential reasons that I feel so messed up (I even found an article about mice having altered brain chemicals after being bullied and threatened), but I think in the end it doesn't matter why. It just is and I have to figure out how to deal with it.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Does not matter to me...
The solution to my alcoholism does.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have Tourette Syndrome and it is also difficult to explain the symptoms, but it seems strikingly similar to your description of alcoholism above. I know that there is a chemical imbalance in my brain which causes me to have the urge to tic. It's not involuntary like your heart beating or eyes blinking or knee jerking when hit under the knee cap. The need becomes so strong that I MUST allow myself to do whatever my tic is. The similarity stops there though, because allowing one tic doesn't necessarily lead to an onslaught, it simply relieves the pressure valve.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by winelover
I have Tourette Syndrome and it is also difficult to explain the symptoms, but it seems strikingly similar to your description of alcoholism above. I know that there is a chemical imbalance in my brain which causes me to have the urge to tic. It's not involuntary like your heart beating or eyes blinking or knee jerking when hit under the knee cap. The need becomes so strong that I MUST allow myself to do whatever my tic is. The similarity stops there though, because allowing one tic doesn't necessarily lead to an onslaught, it simply relieves the pressure valve.
I wash my hands till they dry and crack. I check, count, list, straighten, repeat, clean... it's similar to the obsession/compulsion of drinking/using, but not quite the same.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by leviathon
As this has been a debate on here for a while, I thought I would post these for consideration.

So, is it nature or nurture? Is it a disease or a mental disorder? Does it really matter? You decide.

Levi
Levi, you crack me up (in a good way). I think it is a combo of nature and nurture. Disease or disorder? I don't really see the difference. To me, the label doesn't matter.

Doorknob
Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with you, Carol, all the scientific study and explaination in the world will not change my relationship with alcohol, which is not a good one. Knowing the details of high explosives and newtons laws of motion dont change the outcome of being shot.

S
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Ya got the cliff notes version Levi or is it the same old same old?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Same old same old... just thought with all the discusion from newbies lately that maybe this would help them see it in context... point is not whether you have a disease or mental condition, the point is that you have a problem... so enough with the debate, what are you gonna do about it!

Levi

Sorry no cliff notes.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

Drats!

I remember when I was a newbie these discussions had me soooooo confused. 3 years later I still haven't a clue and realized it's so tough to sort it out and prefer not to debate the issue as in the end we all have our own opinion and there is no true right or wrong. It's what matters to us that is important. I am what I am I say.

But I love a good soap opera so I like to peek in to see if someone found the ultimate answer to the same old same old *LOL* .
Old 05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey Chy.

Almost 25 years later I still don't know if it is truly "a disease" roflmao.

All I know is I got it!!!!! and I found a way to live sober.

Nuff said.

Love and (((((to all))))),

laurie l

God Bless You All As You Trudge The Road Of
Happy Destiny (especially if you're trudgin thru
alligators up to your butt)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I must admit I was playing devils advocate on this post.

There had been so much argument over the issue in the last few weeks that I posted these b/c the posts are from the same website and, I believe, showed that the experts don't know. If they don't know, how can we?

More to the point from my perspective is does it even matter? No, we all know we have the problem, so what is the solution. Each of us finds that for ourselves.

levi
Old 05-16-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only thing that really matters Levi, is that we are recovering from addiction. We are living our lives the way we want to and that's what counts.