OT Rant: MTV's Super Sweet 16

Old 05-13-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT Rant: MTV's Super Sweet 16

Ok..this is just a rant but I watched this show for the first time.

Wow..What is this nation coming to?

The premise of this show is that it is daughter's of the super wealthy having their Sweet 16 party.

These parties are over the top - hundreds of thousands of dollars..Plus this girls get BRAND NEW MERCEDES for their birthdays?

I just really wonder about the parents of this kids...

The one show I watched the girl was so self-centered, self-absorbed, manipulative, controlling and MEAN to other kids and adults.

I really felt nauseous and like I was watching a train wreck.

I mean I live in a place with lots of "beautiful people" and what I like to call $30,000 a year millionaires...

I am just so sad that these are the values that alot of people are aspiring too...

Man - when I have kids I want to raise them with values like "being of service to the community, emphathy and compassion".

Not that they should feel good because they can wear Prada Gucci and LV.

OK..rant over.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I saw that advertised the other day.

I saw something else on tv several months ago...I don't remember if it was just a news blurb on Entertainment or where, but a family gave a young girl a party for her ba mitzah and the Eagles performed to the tune of over 1M and other artists were there.

Something like this totally and completely blows my mind. Can you imagine what their lives would be like if they had to live on 50k a year? That wouldn't cover the cost of their beauty treatments for the year.

At times, I wish I had excess money. Like maybe 40-50 bucks. And even imagine what it would be like to win the power ball or mega millions. And always, the first thought that comes to mind is setting up college funds for the great nieces and nephews first. Making sure they have the opportunity to get an education. Then I think of all the charities I would give to and wild life habitats I would help support. Can't forget AIDS research and others. Move to a different country. And on and on.

For me, I would pay off all our debts and our sons college debt. Yeah, I know that's a no-no. Maybe a little plastic surgery. Raise the titanics? Liposuction? Definitely a face and eyelid lift. Than hire someone to take care of me while recovering.

A decent vehicle for hubby. One that is guaranteed to work and that you don't have to drive with fingers crossed.

Talk about rattling on...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gelfling
And always, the first thought that comes to mind is setting up college funds for the great nieces and nephews first. Making sure they have the opportunity to get an education.
Hear hear!!!

The Gates Foundation donates millions to help the quality of education in this country.

Warren Buffett paid for his grand children's education and has not given them another cent..All his billions are going to charities when he dies...

Even Oprah with her billions doesn't strike me as frivolous.

I for one am grateful for the education that my parents gave me. They paid for 10 years (7th - 12th and most of college) private education for me.

Even if I had the money, I just cant' imagine spending $1 million on a band.

You could feed hundreds of thousands of people for a year with that.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by gelfling
Raise the titanics?
I've never heard it stated that way...

PS - I agree about the shocking greed, shallowness, and materialism rampant among many young people (and their over indulgent parents). This creates a overweening sense of undeserved entitlement - I've seen it myself.

But what can be done about it? We are told that we can only be happy if we buy, buy, buy. We are told that our self worth depends on pricey clothes and a fancy car. It's no wonder that record numbers of people in the developed world are addicted and in extreme debt.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have teenage sons so I am so aware of the peer pressure.
My sons want and have shoes that cost well over $100. I
cringe when I have to spend $75, not that I have to but I do from
time to time. I saw an epsiode on Sex and the city where Samantha
a public relations person was putting together a b-day party for
a rich 16 year old girl it was appalling even by Samantha's standards...lol
You are right it does start with the parents and I have been guilty
many times for over indulging but not on the level of MTV
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a spiritual crisis. I don't mean that people should stop shopping and go to church - there's no room in my world for organized religion. But our society has elevated Free Market Capitalism to a state sponsored religion and that means we all must spend spend spend buy buy buy. To get us to do that we are told through advertising that we're not good enough unless we buy the fancy expensive stuff so people internalize the Not Good Enough part and then we get rampant depression and addiction. Plus people are so busy making and spending the money that there's no time to just Be. Nothing has any value anymore except monetary. You are what you make and spend, so no wonder these people spend so much. It's disgusting and pathetic at the same time. We're too wealthy - yes you can be too wealthy. Not that I have personal experience with that!

Not OT at all! Extravagence and materialism go hand in hand with addictions. Look how many people here post about financial problems caused by their A's unrestrained spending! The spending is an attempt to boost their self esteem and push back the depression. We all know how good it can feel, if briefly, when you buy something really nice. I for one hate hate hate knowing that I can't afford stuff I want. My wants aren't even particularly extravagent - I don't have a TV for instance because I don't want to pay for cable. My taste in cars runs towards Does it run reliably? Is it paid for? Decent mileage? that's it. But it just kills me to see a book I want and have to decide I should not buy it. Ex AH would have to be dragged forcibly out of the bookstore.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Well, her is my input. We are planing my daughters Sweet 16 right now. Yes every thing is expensive. In my area most of the girls have Quinsenetas (spelling?) for there 15th birthdays. very big event in the hispanic lives. I will be spending about 3K on this. From the palce to the DJ, food and her dress, with help from Grandma of course. I love my daughter she is a honor student, softball player a great friend, sister, daughter, niece & Granddaughter. She has been through so much in her short lived life I want this to be her special day. Maybe MTV is alittle over the top, but if i had that kind of money, she would have that kind of day. Oh yea, I already bought her a new truck, but it was only $3500 down and $150 a month. My little girl is not like the one on MTV, and now that Dad is not in the home she has taken on so much, she helps with everything. Soory so long, I just wanted you all to know that some kids diserve this. Mine does.
just because we have the money does not make us bad people, I work hard so she can have this, I watch other peoples kids, clean houses and Do yard work. I'm not a bad person because I have a little xtra.My daughter also helps me with all these things. There are ways to make your children understand Money doesn't grow on trees, I'm so angry right now. I'm a good mom and just because I can do these things doesn't mean my kids are bad. They see how hard I work and the cutribute alot at home with chores. It's all in the upbringing.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kermit
I'm a good mom and just because I can do these things doesn't mean my kids are bad. They see how hard I work and the cutribute alot at home with chores. It's all in the upbringing.
Kermit -

I'm sure you are a great mom..and I think it's great that you can have a party like that for your daughter..sounds like you work very hard.

I'm talking about the EXCESS..One of these girls got 2 Bentleys (average price $165,000 per car) and 2 houses in India for a present...

That's excess..

I think it's great you can buy a used car for your kids..My parents bought me a used car when I was 16 so that they didn't have to drive me to my school anymore. (It was private and 20 minutes away).

And Mushroom - you are right..it is a spiritual crisis..

I keep wondering when this culture is going to hit its bottom..Are we going to revert to the Depression and the big stock market crash before we do?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Times may come when money won't matter and money does run out. These idiots curse their familes in generations to come because they have left nothing but money.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ps- most kids are good and do not strive to be like these silver spoon morons, they laugh at them.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Seeking Inner Peace

Ditto, I can't stand that show.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What I wonder is whether it comes from a parent doing what they can to give their children everything they can for the benefit of the child or whether sometimes it's the parent's insecurites that are the real reason for over-indulgence. When is it just about parents trying to prove to other people that they are good parents? I know I've gone to school with a few kids whom although their parents were loaded and gave them everything money could buy, the parents never actually paid a lick of attention to the kids. One kid, who's parent's provided him with the best of everything, wasn't even fully able to get to the washroom all the time by the time he entered school and no matter how much the teacher talked to the parents they did nothing.

It's funny this came up because I was just thinking about all this. We were out looking at baby clothes in some high-end stores and where giggling about the $50 pairs of jeans for your 6-12 month old. $50 for a pair of jeans he'd be lucky to wear for about 6 months and for a child that is equally as happy in a pair you could buy for $9.99 and even happier in the outfit God supplied him with for free when he was born. lol It's pretty easy to say that if I bought them, they wouldn't be for the benefit of him. Not knocking anyone who goes that route... it was a busy store.... but I wouldn't do it. This excess thing starts at a very young age.