Question please

Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Question Question please

Hi there..

I have an AS that is driving me out of my mind. I have made a TON of mistakes where he is concerned, and it's time for me to get some help.

I am also an addict. I have been in recovery since 4/6/05.
I have recieved a lot of help to get where I am with my own addiction,
but for some reason when it comes to my sons, I just seem to have no
clue. Seems strange, considering I myself am an addict. I know the addicts mind, but I don't know, this is just to much for me. I just can't get a grip, and it's ripping me apart. I need help.

I finally made a phone call, and found out when the meetings are. BUT, they
didn't even know what Nar-anon was. So, my question to you is...
Is it acceptable in Al-anon to talk about drugs? I know in some AA meetings,
they just don't care for talking about drugs, and I am sure that it can be different all over, but what is the over all feel, is talking about drug abuse over-all accepted?

There just aren't any Nar-anon meetings. But, my husband is drinking quite a bit, so I think that Al-anon really would be a good fit for me anyway..

Thanks so much in advance..

PS-- Gosh it feels good just to talk about it, even this much... Thank you.

Prayers to all of you,
Becky
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Where I live there is no naranon and in alanon its okay to talk about both, they welcome it
Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Most of the Al-Anon meetings I go to don't care one way or the other. Some of my friends who have kids with narcotic problems just talk about the child's "addiction." I wouldn't let it keep me from going. If you think you'd benefit from meetings and want to try it, I say go ahead to the Al-Anon meetings.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

angelgirl...I'm glad you are here. I know there are lots of "double winners" here, and I am sure some of them will be along later. There is lots of good advice here and you will learn ways to keep the focus on you and things you can do to make your life more managable. It's a process, so just stick around and keep reading and posting.

Great about your sobriety!

I've gotta go for now, but I wanted to welcome you and I hope to see you here often!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Thanks so much for the encouragment. I will check them out.

I will "feel" them out too. Drugging and drinking often go together, so I guess
that I can't be the only one that will go that will have an addict in gthe family. I have feelings on this anyway, to me addiction is addiction, but I know not everyone feels that way, and I don't want to go there. I just need support right now. I appreciate what you have given me

Yeah, "double winner".. Ugh.. I seen in a thread someone wrote, " the gift that keeps on giving" and I thought, boy, isn't that the truth..

Thanks again,,
Prayers,
Becky
Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome we are glad your here.... The reasons are not so great but reaching out for support is wonderful... Congrads on your sobriety too!!

In my meetings the focus in not really on the Alcoholic, you will hear someone say the A that brought me into these rooms from time to time... but the focus is on you... so I think you would benefit alot... plus there is nothing like the face to face support.

If you get a meeting that seems to have an issue, well then find another meeting.

I look forward to getting to know you!