OT: Can we talk about my holes?...

Old 05-09-2006, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

OT: Can we talk about my holes?...

Thought that might get your attention. So tonight I'm playing with my four dogs in the back yard when I began to notice little 1/2" holes all over the yard. They weren't there on Saturday when I mowed. They remind me of the exit holes used by the 17-year cicada we have in our area, only we suffered through them last year, so we're not due for new infestation for another 16 years.

What horrors have recently emerged from my lawn? There are literally hundreds of holes. Could it grub worms? I think it's a bit early for that. Don't see any signs of bugs on the lawn nor empty cicada carcuses attached to my house. My first reaction was ground bees until I realized there were hundreds of holes in the ground and no bees in sight.

Perhaps Kevin Bacon and crew are arriving in the area tomorrow to begin filming the sequal to Tremors. Does danger lurk in my yard? Or perhaps a crazed gardner addicted to aerating lawns leapt over my fence while I was at work today and had his way with my lawn. If so, I feel so dirty, so used.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FormerDoormat, BIG HUGS, I would wonder too what it is, I know nothing about holes in the ground, I thought we were going to have a wild time with holes in our head.(SMILE)
Has your weather been wet or dry. Might be a clue. LV YA
Old 05-09-2006, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe it's some kind of rodent? Like a mole? I don't know with that many holes though that would have to be one busy mole or he has a lot of friends... lol.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Earthworms? has it rained hard recently? they come out of the ground when it gets saturated.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat
They remind me of the exit holes used by the 17-year cicada we have in our area, only we suffered through them last year, so we're not due for new infestation for another 16 years.
Infestations are every 17 years that there is an OVER abundance of them. For the 16 years between, the numbers climb or shrink BUT they are still around. Put out bug killer and they will leave (and infest your neighbor) *LOL*
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HAhA that's why I left the 1/2 acre lot I had and bought a condo...
sorry Jill I have no horticultral explanation for this...the best of luck
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OMG I almost spit out my drink on that one..... I wonder if they have a 12 step recovery for the awful violation of your lawn by that gardner!!!!!

I have no advise but that cracked me up
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As a former lifelong Marylander...

.... I would bet the farm that you have "grub moles." It got so bad in my lawn that I called the University of Maryland Extension Service - the agricultural geeks. The little pests were eating my new tomato plants, my new grass seed - you name it - they thought it was a gourmet buffet. Unfortunately, the way they suggested I eliminate the creatures had the potential to do harm to my two cats. Since you have dogs, you must be very cautious in fighting the critters. On the other hand, let us all remember the old saying "If God had a reason why, then WHY did HE create the fly?"

I got to the point that I started putting out bits of cheese for the little guys. Guess I'm a real sap when it comes to animals, but I just couldn't bring myself to nuke them even though they destroyed my tomato plants ... well, not completely destroyed. I had some great fried green tomatoes!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Micro moles....

That's what it is! Tiny minature moles that exist unseen beneath the ground, they exist for one purpose alone - to exasperate tidy people. To catch them exasperating you have to turn quickly to your window after dark, torch in hand while engaged in noisey house cleaning (vacuming being best). If you turn quickly enough (and they haven't spotted you carrying a torch), you'll see them piled high and pulling faces through the window! In fact the only other mark they leave is the window smears from pressed up noses.

They live off seedlings, but only those planted in a row and regardless of vicious, unfounded rumour they are NOT bred on mass by messy people!!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I'm with Best on this. About 4 years prior to the supposed 17 infestation, in the spring our yard was peppered with holes. Take a closer look. You'll find a few bods lying about.

Consider them doing you a favor too. They're aeriating the ground. People pay big bucks to have someone come in and punch holes in the grass.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh my god, that's it! I have mico moles. Equus, how did you know I'm a tidy person? Does it show in my posts? In my obsessive attempts to never let a grammatical mistake or typo enter into them?

As I sit here at the table in my all-glass morning room, I feel as if I'm being watched by a thousand pairs of eyes. But never fear, I have a torch within easy reach and my vacuum cleaner stands at the ready. And when they least expect it, I'll torch the buggers.

And all this time I thought the window smears were caused by my dogs pressing their noses upon the glass. It was only tonight that I realized the smears were on the outsides of the windows--not the insides.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Gnomes , yep that's it, Gnomes did it.
Have you seen any little red hats?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, my God. I have seen little red hats. But I thought they were birthday hats because....(sung in a sappy, off-key way):

Today's your birthday, it's your birthday, yes it's your birthday, happy birthday Mr. Christian!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

I think you ALL are crazy. JK.
Hope you sleep tonight, I know I would have a hard time with little things in my back yard.( Do you really think they are wathcing you?)
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd rather have them watching me than have them crawling all over me. I hate bugs! If Best is right and they're cicada, then we're talking thousands of beedy little red eyes. Yikes!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Oh my goodness, now I know ypu have lost your mind!
Maybe the dogs could use a snack?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My dogs don't eat cicada, thank goodness. They're much too picky to do that. Perhaps I'll hand out mini condoms in an attempt to encourage them to behave responsibly. Perhaps some red ones to match their eyes.

Curly haired gals like me hate cicada, as they're nearly blind and tend to fly into things, like my hair and get stuck. Nothing gets me screaming louder or moving faster than trying to bat a cicada out of my hair.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

What can I say to that?
Good luck! & good night. I'll check in on you later.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is a foreign language to me. I am more a survivalist.
If they are not biting I don't care what is watching.
Just leave me alone and I will leave you alone. LOL madly