Life coaching update - as requested.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life coaching update - as requested.

I had my first session free last Friday, it's purpose was to see whether life coaching would help me. She took me on so I guess I passed!!

I talked about plans to study and she was really helpful having done similar subjects. She put me on to a course I might find better than counselling (human relationships Ma) and suggested I took an introduction to counselling evening class first to see what I feel about it. Work wise she wanted more precision from me as to what job I'd like to have - I was very firm what I wanted but scared to narrow it down too much in terms of actual jobs. The evening course is on my swimming night but I'm doing it anyway as it's only for 9 weeks!

So I enrolled for the course and went last night, damn strange to be back in a classroom!! It's all very new as it was the side of psych I dodged like the plague at uni - I liked brain cell stuff, neural nets and behaviourism, not the woolly stuff. I like this course being the opposite to my natural inclination though it feels so fresh and I have a sense of reserving judgement while I enjoy learning.

I think it's helped already in giving me something I can actually DO straight away, that's boosted my confidence that I am on the move. My next session is next monday....
Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool!! Thanks for that.

Are you doing the CPCAB course? If so, that's the one I'm doing and really enjoying.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No - this is a tiny taster session. If I was doing it seriously I would take one that led to being registered but this is just to see what I feel about is as a subject. The one I'd looked into before was a part time Ma in humanistic counselling - you became acreditted for registration part way through the course but then continue for a diploma, then Ma.

This course is only 10 weeks of 2 hour sessions in humanistic counselling based on Carl Rogers theories, it's OCN so the homework is a piece of p***!

Bizarrely I don't think I want to become a counsellor, it was the subject content I got interested in and want to learn more about. I want to continue working with people and I want to be able to really help empower folk to get more out of life but that covers a HUGE number of jobs!!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds excellent. And very similar to the course I am doing - it's only a taster, but i know I want to go on and do the next stage in the autumn. But there are others on the course who are using it for enhancing their listening skills as part of their job and won't formally take it any further.

And Carl Rogers rocks. My dear counsellor was from a humanistic background and we spent a lot of time talking about congruence, which is one of his 3 core conditions. Given that I was in a relationship at the time with someone who was at the incongruent end of the spectrum, it helped no end.

It's funny you should think that the ideas behind counselling are woolly - that is totally the opposite of my experience.

Can't wait to hear more.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's funny you should think that the ideas behind counselling are woolly - that is totally the opposite of my experience.
Hey - you know I thought lots of the counselling I had, I was refering to when I was at uni, I liked the really clinical stuff for study but I've always been interested in people as friends etc. I've done lots of changing in the last 12 years or so, I still love the clinical stuff but communication, helpfulness, co-operation, interdependence, realtionships (NOT just couples) all that stuff is begining to rope me in!

I think about communication lots, right now I think more than read but new stuff always starts with me like that.

I haven't got as far as congruence - in fact I need to google it to even find out what it means!! I spent my uni time chewing on connectionism, neural nets and behaviourism + a few sticky bits like brain parts!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For anyone else...
con·gru·ence n.

a) Agreement, harmony, conformity, or correspondence.
b) An instance of this: “What an extraordinary congruence of genius and era” (Rita Rack).

2. Mathematics.
a) The state of being congruent.
b) A statement that two quantities are congruent.
Is that around reflecting things back to someone or having a life that has parts which agree?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually, both. Here you go eq--

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/rogers.html
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eq, I think of you when I read about congruence. It's about genuineness and speaking (verbally and non-verbally) from the heart.

Rogers thought there were three selves in us: the self-concept, the real self, and the ideal self. The self-concept is the way a person sees him- or herself. The ideal self is who one would like to be or ought to be. The real self is who one actually is. Congruence is the amount of agreement between the self-concept, the real self and the ideal self. The more congruence, the more psychological health there is within the client. If a person’s idea of who she/he is bears a great similarity to what she/he wants to be, that person will be relatively self-accepting. It’s the aim of Person Centred Counselling to increase the client’s congruence.
That's my path in a nutshell.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

That is wonderful Ruth! Keep up the great work and do enjoy this new journey.