Actions speak louder than words....

Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Actions speak louder than words....

Seems that's true in the workplace too!! I told my line manager I've applied for anoth job, told him I'm planning on doing an Ma and asked about re-deployment etc. I also said I've enrolled one night a week on an introductyion to counselling course.

The result? Him saying over and over they want to move the post with me in it, suggesting if youth services DEMAND I do youth worker training that I take it up as a grievance, suggested an MA would be more suitable, AND said that they want the post to remain INTACT as participation officer not youth worker!! He also said that if the role becomes less demanding they would try and balance that by giving me time to do a youth skills Ma and paying for it!

So.....

I told him it's been going one way then the other right from the start, and that the only assurance which will mean anything to me is seeing consistancy and actions that BACK UP what he was saying. I also said I was still going to keep my eye open for a job! I told him that I'm not going to wait around, I want better qualifications, I like strategic work, I enjoy solving complex problems and understanding relationships between people whether or not I do that in this post is secondary to not a primary consideration right now. I basically said I've had enough and looking elsewhere but if in the meantime they show real change I will also consider the job I'm in.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Good for you Equus for being so straight forward and letting him know exactly what YOU need! I'm sure he really respects that and maybe he will back it up with some serious action. When I told my boss my situation yesterday, it was amazing how quickly my check was processed!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This has been the (so far) 5 month climax to a 4 year long debate at work!! Until recently I was totally worn down by it - but the courage of the damned has meant they got a taste of old style ruthy and it seems as much as I was the salt in the ointment there are a few voices that don't want to lose that in this post.

When I came into post five years ago I didn't even own my own bed!! I'd never worked with money as the primary reward and was unbuyable - I worked for what I believed in. Slowly life caught up with me, a mortgage, and stuff! I ended up feeling trapped and meanwhile became more restricted in my work. I never changed my view though, my opinion was still unbuyable - but I lost a lot of my bottle.

Times are a changing, I will get better qualified, and use that rather than sheer stubborness to live a worthwhile life that I believe in! My manager is new but on the whole there's not much love loss for me at work, although it turns out there's a few people who must actually want me!

Mega - telling them about what was happening at home was so weird for me, it isn't a personal or friendship based place, it's career orientated with a few good hearts scattered around of which my line manager at the time was more career than heart!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Mega - telling them about what was happening at home was so weird for me, it isn't a personal or friendship based place, it's career orientated with a few good hearts scattered around of which my line manager at the time was more career than heart!
That must have been very difficult for you Ruth. I feel so blessed to have an understanding workplace. Luckily my company is very family oriented so there is a lot of heart there. They are a religious family though and don't seem to have a lot of turmoil within their dynamic (who knows though as looks can be deceiving). That was the only reason I was a little nervous and didn't want to involve them.

About not being "buyable," I understand that ethic and do respect it, but as you said-- "time are a changing." You can still do rewarding/fulfilling work and be paid the amount you deserve. You must be able to earn a living and as long as you feel that your contributions are worthwhile, let them pay you as much as they can!!! There is nothing wrong with that.