British Bulldog, if you're out there...

Old 04-27-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In Recovery

British Bulldog, if you're out there...

Originally Posted by british bulldog
hey, i'm not as old as you guys, i am 13 but i have one alcoholic parent, i can't move put of my house, nor do i want to, i love my mum, and shes a great mother when she is sober, but when she is not (quite often) i end up getting really depressed, i want to help her but i get so angry with her, i am frustrated with myself that i can not find the solution to stop her alcoholism. it's like a constant thought in my mind wherever i go, i am always thinking, "i hope she isn't drunk" when she picks me up from the train station or when im with my friends i am always hoping she isn't drunk and when she is drunk around my friends it is so embarrasing. My parents love each other but my mums drinking problem is making them drift apart and i fear they will get a divorce. To stop this happening i try so hard in school so they are happy, i worked my ass off to get into this grammar school that is rated 5th out if all of the schools in England and get into all of the sports teams in school, i do it because all the positives i produce in a way kind of detract from the negatives. but thats only a short term solution and soon they are arguing again because of alcohol.
Having just read through this i realise i sound like i am so depressed and unhappy and want to hurt myself, this is not true, i gennerally have a great life and i'm very privalleged, i have loads of friends, a nice girlfriend, have loads of fun and enjoy my life but this problem is eating away at me and my family, i don't ask for a soultion, i just wanted to talk to people about it, it feels so good to get it off of my chest. thanks.
I really feel for you. I remember being 13 (seems like aeons ago)...I'm so sorry that you have to live like that. Leaving home may or may not be the best solution for YOU (I'm not so concerned with the folks'...they're adults...they make their own decisions).

I'm sorry if by quoting the above, I'm sharing too much of your story with others...I don't mean to offend or display your issues. But, I couldn't help feeling a tug on my heart when I read what you wrote.

I wanted to say that you sound like a great kid...the kind any (normal, functioning, healthy) parent would be proud to call one of their own. But, here's a bit of [unsolicited] advice: keep doing all those great things, but stopt doing it for Her/them, and start doing them for YOU!

Find out what interests YOU (whether or not it is in alignment with what they think you should do)...barring self-destructive measures, of course (I'm joking a little...I figure you're much smarter than I was at that age...I was still in big time Denial...and just shutting up and doing as I was told).

I, for one, am very proud of you for having the wisdom and insightfulness to search for a site like this, and also for having the courage to tell your story. Thank you so very much.

Keep coming back...People here really do care.

Kari

PS - I just watched Oprah today, and WATCH out for weird slutty teachers. I mean it.