OT--Help me see this in the proper light

Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

OT--Help me see this in the proper light

I was at the bank today and they told me they were looking for a part-time teller and wondered if I would be interested. Needless to say, I totally froze up. Something that I was working on when in therapy with regard to my depression.

I've been walking around talking healthy stuff...getting out of the house, being around people, making money, benefits, it's only 1/2 mile away, etc.

But in between, I think...I've got to walk the dogs 4-5 times daily, what if I screw up in counting, (I haven't balanced my checkbook in years), I'd have to buy new clothes, hubby wouldn't probably help around the house and I could go on and on. I could easily talk myself out of even going for the interview or submitting my resume/application.

Talk to me people...PLEASE. I've not said anything to hubby or son about applying. I need to get this right with myself. I really and truly want to do this. 54 ain't no spring chicken and getting a job in the past has been really tough. To be asked if I'd be interested is such a positive sign for me.

Your turn to kick some serious a$$ with me.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just want to say, buying new clothes is not a BAD thing.

L
Old 04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

*laughs*

No A** kicking needed your doing it well enough to yourself.... *chuckles*

You just answered your own question.... You said you really and truly want this... SOOOO take a deep breath, fill out the application and go for the interview. There are no decisions to make at this point cuz they have not offered you the job.... all your doing is exploring your options.

If you decided to take the job .... everything else would have to be worked out ... but it falls into place when the decisions are made hon.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

why not? nothing is forever - give it a go!

and i know all about 54 and the spring chicken thang!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go for it..part time still leaves your plenty of time to walk the dogs..

rest assured they will give you the appropriate training and won't leave you alone until you are ready..there are always other tellers to ask..

good luck!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I really and truly want to do this.
OK! You can do this.

I've got to walk the dogs 4-5 times daily
Its part time right? Ok. Still possible. Would it be manageable to cut down to 3 walks?
I live in a condo so no yard for my lab. I work 8-5, I walk him in the morning and take my coffee with me, wear my headphones and get the morning news... multi tasking. Then I take him immediately when I get home (I slowly stopped coming home at lunch to let him out)..at 530 ish. And again before bed..so its doable!

what if I screw up in counting
Virutally impossible I would imagine with the computers they have now...Im not an expert in banking, but in the insurance world..thats the sitch.

I'd have to buy new clothes
Three or 4 pieces would cover it.. slacks, blazer and skirt? All could be found at Ross or TJ maxx for relatively little money and they are not bad quality.

hubby wouldn't probably help around the house
Maybe if you are doing the things you want to accomplish by getting out there, his help would seem less paramount and your inner strength would pick up the slack?

The key thing I picked up on in your message is that you want to do this.
Life is timing in alot of cases we know this.
Sometimes we end up with opportunities we are supposed to be presented with and we end up where we are supposed to be.

Oh and this...
"Do not be too timid and sqeamish about your actions. All of life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little course, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice? Up again; you shall never be so afraid of a tumble!" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Thanks Gelfling

Hi my name is Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

I use to be a teller for a few years before becoming a stay at home mom for 16 yrs. I just went back to work 5 yrs ago here in Houston at a local grocery store. It was located right across the street from my kids High School and so made it easy to have access to them. Well...last yr. i applied in the bank here in my area and went to the interview already. I felt good about the interview and how i conducted myself thinking for sure i had the job. Well, sadly i didnt get it. My application is still on file and remains active. Why didnt i get it i asked myself? Im thinking it was my age...47 or wrong race. Im not sure, but felt like it was political.

Anyway....i still would like to get back into the bank maybe back home in Baton Rouge. And now that im inspired by what has happend to u Gelfling I may just try again. If at ur age u can do this...then so can i...So this for me could have been the answer i was waiting for. : ) Thank you so much for posting ur message. : )
Old 04-27-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Go for IT!!!!
You worry too much. And what for?
What has worrying ever done for you?

*Jazz kicks Gelf in the butt*
Boot!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kathy - you have so much ability. You will touch lives with your kindness and caring wherever you go, I feel it's our duty to share you!!

Go for it! It's counting not heart surgery - if you make a mistake it can be sorted, you will make mistakes as you learn a new job, but learn you will and you'll be enriching so many other lives to boot!!

Errrrrr.... but you still have to get SR time or I'm strapping you to your computer! :P
Old 04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Heya gelfling,

If they wanted a spring chicken they'da gone to the ranch to find one. They asked _you_ because you impressed them with your personality. You only have to get _one_ outfit for the interview. If you get the job then you can get a couple more outfits. If you don't get the job you still got practice at applying and interviewing, and you can take that practice to the _next_ bank and apply there.

I know that you will do fine, and you got your HP right there with ya to give you confidence.

((((( hugs ))))))

Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just 3 little ole' words from me Kathy.....
Go For It.....

We can all celebrate later.......
Old 04-27-2006, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

As always, Mike said it best...
When I grow up I want to be like Mike.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with everyone else - Just Do It.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IMO, go for it. If you don't try you'll always wonder. If you do try it, you may love it.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I'm getting myself pumped at the possibility of working. There are many pluses (sp) and less negatives than I thought. But I am not allowing myself to think about the things that would put a damper on applying.

I've got to wait until Monday to find out for sure if one of the other tellers got the full-time position, then I go online and fill out the application and submit my resume.

It's a big name bank in my town which is a little burg. Nothing fancy or glamorous. Everyone dresses casually. Only the manager and assistant manager wear skirts. They even have days they were the company t-shirt. I was a little distressed to find out today that part-time is actually 30 hours a week. Possibly more when any other teller is out. But I focus on the $$$$$$$. It would be a big financial help for us as hubby is carrying the load and our property taxes went up almost 30% in the last year.

As to my girls, they're small as are their bladders. But I could come home at lunchtime for a pee run. Heck, I'd only be 1/2 a mile from home. And what I would save on gas!!!

Thanks for being here for me. Further ideas or suggestions would still be deeply appreciated.

I've got to do this for myself. For a change.

Blessings
Old 04-27-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I think it might be time to find some new cheese. The only thing stopping you from finding a new supply is your own fear.

Your daily supply of Velveeta may be safe and convenient, but it probably gets boring having the same thing on the menu every day. If you step out of your comfort zone you could discover cheddar, swiss, gouda, feta, blue, gorgonzona, american, brie, mozzarella, parmasean, edam, and more.

So stop hemming and hawing around. It's time get out there and find some new cheese! So what are you waiting for? Move it, girlie!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

But I focus on the $$$$$$$
I think you would do better at focusing on all the other good things that a job would bring into your life. The $$$$ is ok as well but I see that as an addition to the other things.
50 plus is a good time for adding to your Social Security account.
You will get out and see more of life, thus grow more.
You will meet new people and maybe gain a new friend.
Maybe they will let you bring the little ones with you *LOL*
brb walk time *LOL*
I think they know what a wonderful employee they would be getting.

Go for it.

Oh if they ever give out free samples...be sure to let us all know *LOL*
Old 04-28-2006, 05:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You Can Do This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Oh if they ever give out free samples...be sure to let us all know *LOL*
Free samples of Money?
Yes, Kath, please do let me know if they need anyone to sample the spending ability of their cash. Im happy to help in this department!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dax

Hey with all the extra money , you could hire a pet sitter to take the dogs for a potty break. Or put them in a room witrh potty pads. dax