Need some advice for a friend

Old 04-26-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some advice for a friend

I got a call the other day that I never though I would get. This friend who I thought was a stronge person and who has succeeded in every detail of his life, has been doing cocaine for 2 yrs and I don't know what to do to help. I need somebody to help.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Evening, Steel:

You might want to post this in the NarAnon forum, as that forum focuses on issues surrounding family members with drug addictions. This forum focuses on issues surrounding family members of alcoholics. Of course, you are welcome to post here, too.

Addiction strikes folks of all ages, races, and backgrounds. While researching alcoholism, I learned that most folks who struggle with addictions are high achievers with higher than normal IQs. Your friend is not immune to addiction because he is successful.

Hope you find the answers you're seeking.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post, as you can see I'm new here. I will try the drug addictions site. You are right about people being successful but still being weak.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

steel, Welcome, let me say, not weak, just addicted. Good luck
Old 04-27-2006, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Steel31........your friend sounds like my AH (company owner and CEO). Smart enough to "cover" his actions....to a point. It is a progressive thing, though so it does just keep getting worse as long as it goes on........so does the denial, and hiding. Until they are ready (hopefully that day comes) they just get better at keeping knowledge of what they are doing from their friends and family....so don't be surprised by the lengths to deny any problem,cover up,blame, "excuses" for the behavior (around here we call that "quacking")...try to tune it out and not believe it, because if you start listening,if you are like me, you can find yourself TRYING to justify in your mind things that are not true, are not even sensible, to minimize things to make them "not a big deal","a one-time thing","a mistake that won't happen again",etc,etc,etc.............Sounding familiar?

AH has done coke......drinks.....different things.........changes across time (depending on the who-what-where-$$ of his situation and even how easy it is to continue without flack from others). Addiction is addiction............no matter what. Alcohol is just legal,etc and so the problems surrounding it are a bit different...good and bad. I read somewhere recently that alcohol is the ultimate "gateway drug", and I think that is very true. Realistically, very few people, especially those over 40yrs have only one substance they abuse.....that is also the nature of the beast.

Keep posting here,Naranon, anywhere. Knowledge for yourself and realistically what your "part" can be is key.

Also a helpful source of information is: http://www.GettingThemSober.com Has many,many practical tips of things for loved ones on the archieve of "tips of the month" and an excellent forum overseen by a counselor who specializes in helping families and loved ones effected by addiction.

Glad you are here...keep posting!