Notices

can't wait for my brain to function normally again

Old 04-26-2006, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can't wait for my brain to function normally again

I know that my brain chemistry is probably really out of whack now due to the drugs and alcohol that I have used heavily. My brain probably doesn't know what to do with itself without those chemicals that I used to saturate my brain with. My brain is now in the process of re-learning to function without being under attack of all of the foreign chemicals. I like knowing that each day my brain is healing and learning to function normally again. I know that it may take a while to get better, but each day is just a step closer to where I want to be!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

I hear ya

I can only tell you what many long-timers have shared with me. I am in a "fog". For over 20 years my brain functioned on residual alcohol during the day until I would "refill" that evening. Now that there is no more alcohol on would think that 2-3 weeks you would return to "normal" brain function. Nothing could be further from the truth. I told a long timer at one of my meetings this weekend that it seems like I did things more effectively and efficiently when I was drinking. About this time a couple more 10+ year sober members joined us and they all agreed that I am in the "fog" stage. They said that it could take as much as a year or more for my brain to function "normally" and it will require some re-learning as far as doing things not to mention how I think about and view certain things due to that fact that I had become so used to looking through either bloodshot hungover eyes or drunk. Never completely sober. I have accepted that fact and I am with you on this one. It may take awhile and some serious work on my part but I look forward to the day that my brain knows how to function without some foreign chemical. I am at two weeks dry and have a long, long way to go but concern myself with the current 24 hours only. Keep the faith and the strength and we will get there!!
Roy
Old 04-26-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,

It took me about 10 months for the fog to clear. I am much much better now, though. Give it some time and have faith that it will happen. You will be amazed at how you are able to function in a couple of months. I am as effective now on the job and in life as I was in the mid 90's. Eight years of heavy, alcoholic drinking stand between myself and those days.

Jup.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

****************{Hope4Life}}}}}}}}} I know the wait is hard.......keep enjoying the journey...your gratitude about liking the healing and the appreciation of it is great! THAT is what helped me alot at first............I repeated over and over. I am not stopping something so much as I am BEGINNING something GOOD for me!!!

******{Hugs of Hope}}}}}