Life coaching...

Old 04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life coaching...

I'm going to do a life coaching course - not for a job but for me!

One of my Mum's friends (who's been around for years and I think a great deal of) has set up a life coaching business. She's well qualified and very good so I figured I'll give it a whirl!

It's not counselling - it's not about the past, it's about where I want to go and getting more out of life.

She's offered me a very discounted rate and I don't know her so well anymore that it would get in the way if you know what I mean.

I really like the idea of being challenged to change stuff about my own life - apparently there's homework!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that sounds great. And I'm thinking that alot of people could benefit from such a course. Hopefully you'll be challenged and come away with it having been a great experience!
You'll have to let us know how it goes, I'm really curious how those of types of things actually work - and IF they actually work if you know what I mean.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey E -

welcome to my (future) world..I've been working with a life coach for 8 years now..she has a monthly column in Oprah and she has totally made a difference in my having a good life..

I also do some life coaching on the side..and I'm working towards setting up my own practice..

let me know some of her techiques..I'll add them to my bag of tricks..
Old 04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sounds like fun. Do keep us posted on your assignments.

On a side note, I once designed a website for a life coach. I designed it over and over again because....well...she just couldn't decide what she wanted layout wise, design wise, color wise, content wise, or even whether she should devote her time and money into developing a website.

Got a good laugh out of that one--a life coach who couldn't make a simple decision. A few months later, she e-mailed me to complain that the website wasn't helping her attract new clients. I suggested that perhaps the website wasn't the problem. Never heard from her again.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FD -

So true..most of the really successful life coaches I know..didn't have a website in the first 4+ years of coaching..and these are people that make well over 6 figures a year..

It is really referal based that works..I belong to the ICF (International Coaching Federation)..Once a month I get together with all types of coaches (some life, some excutive etc.) and they said referrals are the way to go..

So..If I need a website maybe we can work something out..I'm not sure I want a website yet.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't see a life coach ever earning loads in the North of England!! It's not really the sort of thing folk do round here but it intrigued me and I like the thought of improving those skills. I trust her as a person with a lovely heart, she's intelligent and down to earth so it won't be dreadful but it's very new here (never heard of it before) so it more not be the bees knees either.

the first session is free and I might have mine on Friday. I will post about it - I don't mind sharing it and I like it when other people share stuff like that.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You never know if it will catch on..It's a relatively new profession in the US as well..only taken off in the last 5 years..still unknown but there is more articles and blips on the t.v.

I've been told it's a $1 billion a year industry..don't know if that's world wide..

but I'm excited for you..

I've enjoyed being coached very much..
Old 04-24-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Round these parts I'd say even counselling hasn't really caught on!! Except for intrepid trail blazers like me!! (Ehem... didn't try it till last year though!).

She says she has a slightly gentler approach than the high powered coaches and draws a little on her counselling skills. I like the idea of the blend but I'm a bit nervous - she also said I have to be 100% committed to changing behaviours that sabotage my life. I don't like thinking in terms of all or nothing because I feel less confident, I prefer to look at it that I'll get out what I put in - then I go to outdo myself because I feel more confident - if that makes sense?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it is great that you are at least willing..willingness is key..

and yes..I agree that you will get out of it what you put in...I think if you do what she asks..you'll be surprised by the results.

I still talk to my coach once a month to get a kick in the a$$..she knows me so well..and all my weaknesses as well as my strengths..

I've a few clients that just used me to vent..didn't want to do the homework..

not the type of people I like to coach..
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like a really good idea. Let us know how it all goes. I think we could all use some improvement in our lives/ourselves whether we live with an alcoholic or not. I am going to keep going to counseling here and there, not on a regular basis as I was. I think it helps.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

You intrepid trail blazer, you! Can't wait to hear details on your first interactions with her.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Equus this is such a positive thing to do...no matter what you do with
it in the end.....
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's tomorrow!!

I've done a bit of preparation re what I want from it and things I know I trip up over. I want one life. I want my core values reflected in my work, my homelife, friendships and way of being.

Sometimes I've written on here how the internet lets me be more of who I want to be in real life. Don't get me wrong, I'm the same person but I can get my head round stuff easier with the time it takes to write, I feel more confident to let myself show on the net and sometimes less wrapped up in my own emotions.

I think it's time to be one person in real life too, and that's going to take a few changes! I'm fighting between confidence and calling myself names!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by equus
I can get my head round stuff easier with the time it takes to write, I feel more confident to let myself show on the net and sometimes less wrapped up in my own emotions.
I can sooooo relate to that, Eq. When I read back over my old posts, it feels so strange that I can talk so much sense and how "real" I sound, when often my real life is such a blinking effort.

Let us know how it goes.