What does all of this mean?

Old 04-17-2006, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does all of this mean?

My husband went most of lent withut drinking but prior to that he went off the deep end and was drinking very heavily. He resumed drinking a few days ago. He really had no signs of any kind of withdrawl that were noticable except headaches. He had a headache everyday. For about a year now he seems to have several bowel movements a day and he behaves as if they are acute, like a sudden diarrhea. Everything bothers his stomach. He is very thin. The new thing is that since he resumed drinking, he gets these intense twinges which cause him to double over, then it seems to subside on it's own. He won't go to the doc. The pain is right where his liver is. I guess I'm wondering if his liver is talking to him? It isn't a constant pain, but it is sharp and recurrent. As a nurse I should know that but I don't as my experience with alcoholic livers is limited. Has anyone seen these symptoms?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no but sounds like his body is telling him something.....will he listen is the question? If not, then I don't suppose you should worry about it to much either.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you are referring to.
John had that same type of pain the last year we
were together. It was as you said a double over, griping
sort of pain. It seemed to happen to him WHILE drinking,
I never noticed it when he was sober, well then again that was
rare. Any way you look at it, it isn't normal or healthy.
I am sure he will get it checked out when he is finally
sick of the pain...
Old 04-17-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

It doesnt sound good.
What have you done for you today?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am taking a walk after dinner and tanning. I made pea soup with yesterdays ham bone and it isn't done yet so I'm waiting so I can drop off a pot to my son and his fiance.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ohhhhh I would like some pea soup too!!!! pretty please???

Does not sound good to me but I have to agee, if he does not think it important enough to see a Doc then I would not spend alot of time worried about it.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well being a nurse you know the Gall Bladder and the Liver work together. Now, he probably does have Liver damage from his drinking. And over the years his Gall Bladder has made those wonderful "stones." Now when he drinks, or not but moves a certain way one of those "stones" blocks the duct.

Let me tell you, I thought I knew pain, NOT. I am sober a looonnnnngggg time but only have 38% or so liver function. Now don't frown that is good for me, I was down to 19% 3 years ago. Two years ago I had my Gall Bladder taken out, oh yes I had "stones" but not like I thought. I would hear the word "stones" and think pea gravel size. NOT

My Gall Bladder had only 3 stones in it and each one had a diameter the size of a Quarter. So.......he may have a Gall Bladder that needs tending to.

However, it's NOT YOUR PROBLEM......the next time he says something just look at him and say "when did you say your Dr appt is?" and say nothing else.

You have more important things to do with your life and for you to worry about his behaviors, problems, or actions.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-17-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Could be lots of things. Could be irritable bowl syndrome, colitis, even a hyperactive thyroid (which causes serious diahrrea, weight loss, and pain after bowel movements that definitely doubles you over).

Guess the only way to know is for him to see a doctor. But what are the chances he'll do that?

If it's thyroid related, he will have a rapid pulse, high blood pressure, general nervousness, excess sweating, various yeast infections, hand tremors, paranoia, and difficulty sleeping in addition to the weight loss and diahrrea.