Notices

I need help tonight

Old 04-17-2006, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help tonight

I've ****** up someone's relationship. I've become very fond of a girl. Nothing sexual in it, just someone to talk to. I encouraged her to share her problems and thoughts with me and now her partner has found out and they have had a row. He rang me up and said they were spitting up because of me. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but it has really depressed me. I'm on my own tonight. There is a lot of alcohol in the house. It doesn't belong to me but it is within my reach.

The ironic thing, (yes my American friends, this is irony) the only friend I have who really understands what is like to be an alcoholic is this very girl I am talking about. She is a former drug addict so she would know what I am going through but she is the one person I cannot call.

I haven't even thought about having a drink for weeks until tonight. I was sat in a pub last night happily drinking sparkling water.

I need to get through tonight.

Thanks for listening
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

If they're splitting up over your platonic friendship then there's more to it then he's letting on. Sounds like he found just the right excuse. Tag, your it. If she is a means of support for you don't distance yourself from her. Unless it's her wishes you do so. But I'm not buying it one iota. He jealous of your friendship and because he can't control it.. poof it's done... sound more reasonable to you? Worth drinking over? I didn't think so.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ditto to Chy's post
Old 04-17-2006, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Chy. I think you're right. He was looking for an excuse for a fight and this is it. To be honest, they row all the time and will probably get over it, what is depressing me is the affect it will probably have on my relationship with her.

She is a means of support and if she feels it best to distance herself from me for the sake of her relationship with her partner, and I wouldn't blame her, then it is a lifeline that has gone. It's a bit premature to turn to the bottle tonight I suppose but, like I said, tonight is the first time in a long time I have felt like drinking and that scares me.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Doit,

Now might be a bad time to be in the bag, you may miss an oppertunity for something good. I mosly agree with Chy, but it can be tough on a guy when his gal is having a platonic friendship. It is a threat, and I can understand that.

I agree there is probably more to it if they fight all the time, with or without you. You cannot be responsible for their relationship, they have to sort that out on their own. Everything happens for a reason.

Hang in there, pal
S
Old 04-17-2006, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi there Doit!

In the main, I agree with the others, there probably was more wrong with the relationship, before you ever came on the scene.

Non- alcoholics never can understand how we think, so why dont you go where other alkies are, and share with many people who know exactly what you feel, and what you are going through

AA

There is safety in numbers

Hang tight

HUGX
LEE
Old 04-17-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I just needed something to give me a lift.

Your words followed by a set of headphones and The Who - Live at Leeds on full volume did the trick!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doit

Ditto to all the advice given! However, please be careful! She sounds very wise, but three into one wont go. She has experienced addiction, so she understands, however, however wise she may be, she is already in a relationship which she is addicted to also. He is jealous and insecure of your friendship! Have you all arranged to meet together as mates, to try and help you as her friend! Are they both giving you practical help? She knows how vulnerable you are! Does she get off on the power of having two men competing! Maybe it makes her feel wanted! Anyway, take care!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ASH

Sorry your down Doit, but glad you have decided not to drink over it.
I hope you can maintain your friendship. I have gotten myself into situations not exactly the same but similar in the fact that I was so isolated I only had one life line and if anything happened to it I was in trouble.

I hope you can reach out and find others who will be able to understand what its like to be alcoholic like us. SR is great!!!
but sometimes you just need someone to talk to.
Take care
Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Glad you are feeling better and didn't have to drink about it. I know that was my solution for everything. Good for you for seeking the prespective of others. I think they were right on it.