OT - Survived the tornado

Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Survived the tornado

Some of you know that I live in Iowa City and tonight we had at least one tornado hit us in downtown Iowa City. My children and I are fine but a lot of damage in the city. Mega: the Mill was hit, Joe's was hit, the DQ on Riverside - gone! Lucas Street and Burlington St heavily damaged. The University even cancelled classes tomorrow. And we just were talking about the landmarks!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Never living in an area that gets them, I always wonder how people manage living in such areas. Yikes! is my first thought.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you and your children are okay!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

OMG Tired!! As soon as I read this, I looked at the TV and they were showing parts of IC on "The Early Show." I have chills. They said, "at least one person was killed." I cannot believe this. I'm so happy that you are OK. I cannot believe that this happened the day AFTER we were discussing all the landmarks and the greatness of that city. I am so sad about this, but IC will bounce back. I'm just grateful that more lives were not lost. The last place I lived there was Lucas Street! I guess I'll see the damage next week . Hugs to you.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers go out to the people of Iowa today, that they may be comforted and guided during this tragedy, and gratitude that our friend Tired is okay.

I've survived 3 major tornadoes and know the devastation and how powerless we are against the forces of nature. This year seems to be an exceptionally bad year for tornadoes and my heart goes out to everyone who finds themselves in the path of the storm.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so happy to hear that you and your children are fine.
Being in the midwest we are always threatened by tornadoes....
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone for your well wishes. There is a lot to clean up, that's for sure! The daylight really shows you everything! I really don't give much thought about living in an area with tornados...each place has it's drawbacks and tornados just happen to be one for us. On a bright note, the spring time and the fall are absolutely gorgeous! Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

glad you and yours are safe. also living in the midwest, i cringe at this time of year. but like you said the seasons are unforgettable.