Notices

Newby codine addict.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newby codine addict.

Hello all.

When I say newby, I mean it in every way...not as in just started using - but this is my first real attempt at kicking this and first time to admit that this is more than a few pills to get me through the day. Ironicly, I stumbled on this site while surfing for online pharmacies that sold Codeine Phosphate. That is what I am taking now (about 200mg per day) and have been for a little over 2 years now. My hands are still shaking from typing the word "addict" in the title. It's hard for me to admit that and still harder to believe, but after failing to quit cold turkey several times I know that there isn't a kinder, gentler word to use. I am serious about quitting and really look forward to the day that I can go without making sure that I have the pills on me where ever I am. I am in the closet about this and really really do not want to go public, I am ashamed and afraid of losing my wife & kids. I know that I probably need more than just this forum to get me through this and hopefully will find my strenght in Jesus Christ whom I am convenced led me here. My late brother was a recovering crack addict so I'm a little bit familiar with recovery programs (at least from the outside looking in) and know some of the dos & don'ts about really quitting. I have also seen the darker side of the addict (crack houses, jail, prostitution, etc.) through my brother which makes me wonder how I ended up in the mess that I am in. Hopefully I caught my addiction in time before it destroys my life.

Somebody please tell me that I don't have to hit rock bottom before I can quit.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling...what I hope to do is taper off these pills. The withdrawls are too strong for me. Is there a formula somewhere that I can use to ease out of this hell once & for all?

Please help and God bless this forum.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

**************{tweek}}}}}}}}
Welcome to SR!! So glad you are here. I am a fellow rx opiate addict myself.....didn't like admitting it either...but it IS the first step ya have gotta really understand. Those pills and their use only gets worse and worse. There IS help.and HOPE though. Take a look around.post wherever ya like. There is lots of support, friendship, and understanding here.

Again.....****{WELCOME}}}.make yourself at home. *warmest hugs*

:egg3 :egg3
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The shame is something I am very familiar with. Having to admit to myself that I am an addict is something I never dreamed of. But, I am.

And, your bottom can be wherever you decide to make it. You can stop using the codeine now and move on if you make that choice. Yes, it will be hard. Stopping is hard and recovery is hard. That's why we're here. I don't know much about codeine withdrawl personally, but I know others will be along who can give you more info.

Welcome and I'm glad you've found us.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Welcome and Come on In.......

Please get to an NA meeting and also TELL your wife-she probably already knows...tell her you NEED her help. Tell her you want to QUIT. That will be the best news she wants to hear. Also go to the narcotics anonymous board here on this site and there are a lot of recovering addicts that can offer a lot of advice for you.......I am so glad that you are here an NO you do not have to hit rock bottom to quit.....Bless you, my brother.........PEACE.....Kahlia PS...I am an Rn...PLEASE...Go see your Dr. and DO NOT try and detox yourself...very bad..I did it...not good....especially off codiene.....Many Blessings
Old 04-13-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Im Ok - youre OK

Hi, I am clancy, addict.

I started with codeine linctus when I was 12. Here in the UK you buy over the counter,pure and unadultered as linctus.Iused to drink a whole bottle (600mg) every evening. I wish I could say ive been clean for years but I slip and slide .im 32 now.Currently clean 4 days! dont laugh!

Ok here are my best bits of advice for quitting.

I the nights are always the worst. keep SR near just WRITE here when youre feeling desperate.someone somewhere in the world will be there for you very soon with a loving hand to hold across the miles. You dint find this place by accident, your HP or guardian angel or whatever terminology u use led you here.
So always reach out.

2 Loads of people here have had their skins saved by meetings, so give that a go.Its not my way but I cant deny its power, their is sisterhood there.You need your sisters with you.

3 keep busy in the day. Excersise, do something active.make yourself.If you knit or paint or draw throw yourself into into it.I take photographs.

4 Accupuncture is the BEST for the withdrawals and hypnosis is very good for helping your mindset.

5 Think of your withdrawals as the pains of rebirth.You are metaphorphosizing (sp?!) and it hurts, you are being reborn.a beautiful butterfly is struggling out of a crysalis ,think of it like that...

6 Music helps tons. Get all your rescue tunes on your ipod (or whatever) stick your headphones on when you cant sleep, you know your tunes.They really help...I find poetry really helps too, theres a wonderful book called 'Emergency kit' full of 'poems for strange times' even if you havent been there before its amazing how newly sensitive you are to art in this rebirth period.

6 expect to cry all the time, because you will be terribly sensitive,like pmt.See the beauty in this.Put your barefeet in the grass,feel the earth between your toes, notice the textures of things, the way water feels and stuff.look at the stars. this might sound silly but it really is like that.

7 Talk alot with your HP or God, pray for his /her help more people get through this with something higher to help.Even just youre own higher self...

8 dont keep codeine in the house, dont take tylenol with codeine, check your cough mixtures!! Dont talk about it, read druggy literature...mix with clean people.

9 yoga or tai chi is wonderful for toning up your mind and body ESP your mind.Learn to breathe right.Read about it.

10 give yourself 'me' time little rewards for milestones. Never think OMG, i can never have it again .just not for the moment you are in NOW.This day,this hour,this moment I will not use.use steps as tiny as you like. (tee hee its a kind of way of tricking your addict!)

11 The addicted part of your mind is sooo tricky,it will give you constant assorted reason to use,all of which seem exellent but are ********.

12 get up and read,get on here watch frothy tv if you cant sleep.

13 This is slightly indelicate but if you have a long term partner sex is a great way of taking your mind of withdrawals..and its soooooo much nicer in withdrawal, cos you are really sensitive. Wear your self out! (hope I can say that on here!

14 loads of people here have more E,S &H than me and they will be along soon with love and wonderful suggestions. Dont worry you are here now.Love is all around you. This community is blessed. sending love to you xx
Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Im Ok - youre OK

Sorry I forgot I wasnt in the womens room! Swap sisters for brothers! and fellow humans, but sometimes in recovery I think people of your onwn gender are more helpful.