Notices

Please enjoy responsibly!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please enjoy responsibly!

Regarding those booze commercials that tell us to 'Please drink responsibly.' Nice suggestion - too bad it fails the logic test. If you drink responsibly then you don't need the advice. If you don't drink responsibly then odds are you can't apply the advice.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostInTheRuins
If you drink responsibly then you don't need the advice. If you don't drink responsibly then odds are you can't apply the advice.
Bingo.

But it absolves guilt and responsibility now, doesn't it? At least for corporate America.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Ghost,

Yea, reminds me of the sighn over the water fountain at the gym "please dont spit in fountain" If your the type to do it, sign will not deter you, and if your not, you didnt need no stinkin sign to tell you not to.

S
Old 04-11-2006, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m a bit upset when I view the commercial where if a guy doesn’t get his beer by such a time he goes into convolutions. Ring a bell? Or the one where they hide the beer all around the office. That one reminds me of how my AH has hid his alcohol and I would find them on my search to get the stuff out of my house. I know why alcohol commercials are allowed but why are they when so many suffer. I feel that alcohol commercials should be band from advertising just as cigeretts have been.
Just my feelings.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too feel we dont need them. Or all of the medicine commercials while we are discussing this topic.

I know I wouldnt want to be enjoying TV with my family and a commercial pop on where some girl was desperately searching for hidden pills. My lord that would be a huge trigger and ruin my night.

I have said it and I'll say it again. Much respect for alkies that beat this. I cant walk into walgreens and score, ya'll can but DONT. It is smeared in your face everywhere in society you go. Im sorry for that. That has to just make it harder.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When my AH has tried to get off alcohol straighten his life up and we set down for some TV time up pops the commercials and the urge is there in front of him. When a guy loves to watch sports and there they are telling him to head for the mountain, oh, the great taste, etc. Even TV shows make it hard when everyone has to meet at a bar after work. They need to go home and be with their families. Drinking is not that cool when you’re trying to get someone to change their ways. It’s an insult to us who have experienced the down falls of alcohol.

Again it’s just my feelings.

_________
Beck :egg2
Old 04-11-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have to agree with ya'll. I have been tempted to sue the "lite beer" brands, cause as much as I drank it, I never looked near like the people on the ads.

When I was a regular beer drinker, I had objections to the ads for the way they depicted beer drinkers. Or is that really the audience they were after? That alone should have been enought to make me swear off...lol

My disgust with TV runs deep and wide. I have young ones in the house, and I dont like sitting down to watch a family show during family hour, only to have the commericals blast sex, violence, and glorify alcohol (and fast food, just as bad). Not to mention hygiene products.

We watch VERY LITTLE broadcast TV.

S
Old 04-11-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Let’s make it a class action law suit! I sure would like to cause them some headaches, but then I am just the little guy!

_________
Beck :bun5