Notices

Not in Recovery

Old 04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Sure!

Not in Recovery

I'm just testing the water's. I know I have a problem but have no idea how to attack it.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR brtprob !!

You've come to the right place. Just post again with some basic details about the problem...and we'll all go from there. There are many people here with tons of experience and advice, from how to deal with personal addiction problems to how to deal with addicts in your life. Glad to meet you !! Post away !!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate

What's the problem? I'm new, too. Life is strange, huh? Welcome. ~ H

Originally Posted by brtprob
I'm just testing the water's. I know I have a problem but have no idea how to attack it.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

We're here to offer support and encouragement. If you feel like sharing, there are lots of people here who will try to help.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Well..you have started in the right place...lots of resources here..and ya just cannot beat the friendship and support...so keep on postin'.......would love to get to know ya better.
Glad you found us.......I well remember my first post here........I was so broken down it was only an angel that was helping me type.....

((((((((((((((Warm Welcoming Hugs))))))))))))))))
Old 04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile A New Beginning

Welcome brtprob.

Hi, im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

The waters are fine here. A good place to begin. How did I know i had an Alcohol problem? I didn't think i did for a long time. Just thought i drank like my grand father. Us Italians can drink anyone under the table. HA...Right..! After i got sober i was able to clear the fog and begin to see with a new pair of glasses the destruction alcohol was doing to me, my family and life. Normal people don't stay out till the bars close while their families r tucked snuggly into bed. Nor do they go home with strangers or drive up the highway the wrong way or racing another after stopping at a red light. What about being loud and abnoxious. Or getting so drunk the driver has to pull over evrytime to open the door to let u throw up. Or throw up in a booth at a club. Oh here's one, ur layed out in the middle of a field sooo drunk u cant remember where u live with people surrounding u looking down on u. And again, coming home late drunk and getting into a car accident by running off the road of construction and hitting a culvert sitting on top the ground. Not remembering that they had to cut me out, and yeah, and i had a chance to ride in the back of the EMS truck and don't remember the ride. Spent 10 days recoverng after they removed my spleen are else i would have bled to death. That was in Feb 90.
Then in Aug 90, after recovering nicely with no alcohol, just pain pills, I pick up a drink and the progression was very rapid. So rapid i hit my bottom by trying to end my life and misery. Family intervention took place as they sent me to rehab in the back of a police car. It was then i felt sooo ashamed, hurt, angry, like a criminal. They did for me what i couldnt do for myself. I spent 28 days in rehab recieving the tools of recovery, the 12 steps that would place me on the road to a more happier life learning to stay sober one day at a time sharing my Experiences, Strengths and hopes with others. Sharing what it was like when i was drinking, what happened to get me sober and what its like today being sober. There's lots of good sobriety in here amongst terrific people to get to know. All those people like i are traveling along the same road of recovery helping each other one day at a time. Welcome.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am hoping that rather than attack it you will just let it go...keep posting welcome!!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will find lots of support and beautiful friendship here. Pull up a chair and stay with us.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...How can we help you?

Please tell us what your problem is.

We do understand and you are not alone.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

brtprob,

Welcome and we hope to hear from you.

ChrisMan
Old 04-04-2006, 06:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You may have no idea but obviously you are letting god be the pilot at the moment. Good idea. He brought you here.

SR is unbelieveable. I am using it as my sole support (although I dont recommend that) and these people took me in, loved me, wiped my tears away and picked my ass up when I couldnt.

And believe me punkin... I was not easy to love. Hard to even like, probably.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi,I have the same problem!

i have been trying for 18 years to stop drinking and testing the waters all the time,trying to get away with it.
have had a few "bottoms" and still trying.am going the spiritual route,and meditating is helping alot.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Welcome! Glad you found us here. Read posts... post your own whenever you like. I've gotten a lot out of being a regular visitor here and have found so many really wonderful people who I can relate to in my alcoholism and I'm sure there are tons of people here who will relate to your story - whatever it is. How are you doing today?

Suga
Old 04-06-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not Sure!

Thanks Tammie

I'm finally back. Sorry, got tied up. I just posted a new thread. Thanks for the support. Can't believe a water mixed with some hops could evoke so much turbulence. It was good while it lasted though. I guess we all have those memories of the good times. I think those thoughts are one of the things that subconciousely fuels my habit. Everyone is gone though. I guess I'm grasping for stars. Peace.

Originally Posted by 2stop
Well..you have started in the right place...lots of resources here..and ya just cannot beat the friendship and support...so keep on postin'.......would love to get to know ya better.
Glad you found us.......I well remember my first post here........I was so broken down it was only an angel that was helping me type.....

((((((((((((((Warm Welcoming Hugs))))))))))))))))
Old 04-06-2006, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not Sure!

Hi everyone. I'm back. Sorry for the delay. I'm ready to post now. This site is amazing. Thanks to the folks who run it and the people who administer it. My God, I had no idea so many people were suffering. Truly suffering within themselves. I've found that this is a struggle with your own self. I wrestle with my own mind everyday and I typically lose the battle. It's like there is some other person inside me, prodding me, telling me that it's okay. You'll stop tomorrow, you can go to the gym tomorrow. What does that say? Imagine what the meth addicts or narcotic sufferers are going through. My heart truly goes out to all of them. I feel that alcohol addiction is something that is within the grasps of defeat but the logistics when you have a life to keep up is frightening. I can't just abandon my post in life. Got child support to pay, bills to pay, a job that requires me to be there. I can't lose my job. I'm sure you get what I mean. I feel like a child in a world of adults.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome Back

I feel like a child in a world of adults

Welcome back brtprob.

I'm Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Yeah i know the feeling. Feeling like a child in an adult world. When we first get sober we are just born into AA. We have to learn to crawl before we walk. Another one of those saying u will hear in meetings as newcomers begin their journey. I remember when in treatment there was a story that shared with us to explain how alcohol was working in our bodies. They shared that like a hunter, they had to walk into the woods to find their animal. The further into the woods they go means they will have the same amount of walk back out of the woods. Once they find their prey and begin to walk back to the entrance, then they will eventually see the light. The same with drinking. We didnt become alcoholics over night. We drank for all those years and now it will take that many yrs sober to get the serenity we deserve. If that makes sense.
If one works the steps suggested in recovery then they say the promise will come true quickly and sometimes slowly. Im still a work in progress myself. Still remaining teachable. I don't want to know everything too fast, because once i think i know everything in AA, then my chances r i will get too cocky and thus think its ok to drink again. For me to drink is to die. Its poison to me. So i only have a daily reprieve from drinking. Arming myself with the tools of recover to stay sober one day at a time, sharing my own Experience, strengths and hopes with u the newcomers as well as the oldtimes. We are all in the same boat, striving to achieve the same goals. Those wonderful promises of being happy joyous and free in sobriety.

Keep posting, sharing and reading as many others have great wisdom to help u stay sober one day at a time.

Thanks for letting me share here.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not Sure!

Hello lulu

I hope all the best to you and your recovery and I get your message. I won't summarize. Obviousely you are an AA perticipant. I'm not the type to go to AA. I don't want to be reminded for years by others that I'm still sick. I think alcohol poisining; yes, i believe alcohol is a poison whether your a first timer or pro. That's what I was told in DUI class anyway (1995). I praise you for your mode of recovery but perhaps that mode is not for everyone. I've read two books on the subject so I have some basis for thought. Sober for Good; Anne M. Fletcher. And recovery without AA. Sorry, don't have the book here. God bless you for finding what works for you and prayers for your continued lucidity. Peace.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not Sure!

Sorry aasharon90, I was viewing two different post's and replied to the wrong person. Peace.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Smile

Not a problem brtprob. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Charlene

Hey I also use these support sites as my 12 step support program. My mother was a recovering alcholic for 25 or so years and went to like 3 AA meetings if the meetings are not for you then try other avenues. Support sites or alternative to 12 step programs do search and you will find all kinds of stuff. Pretty interesting that I found that there are alot of people that dont do AA or NA. Now I have used these programs and love them just the same for me at this time in my life i like other systems for support. BY no means am I not saying dont go I am saying investigate go to the meetings they say bring the body and all else follows. Its true, I mean I go to conferences every once in awhile for NA but for the most part like I said I do other things as support I for example love this site. So keep coming back!!!!!!!!!