Notices

Gettin scared.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gettin scared.

Hi everybody i have 15 months tonite and wow its been real hard lately and i dont know why.I think i,m planning my slip i told my kid that i was going to drink soon i had enough of the bull of being lonely by choice i think.I am missing the nights out on the town.But so far so good my higher power has been working overtime.I have a sponser but i havent wanted to talk.I know the old ways were pretty bad but i hope i can hang on.Anybody ever had 15 months and wanted to drink again?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have 19 months and am hit by the "random thoughts" when my disease tries to convince me that it would be ok if I drank now, it would be different etc. I haven't given in as I don't want to return to the hell I was in when I sobered up.

They say relapse starts long before the first drink and some things people do are quit making meetings, quit praying, quit talking to sponsor and AA friends, romancing the drink. If you see yourself doing any of these things now is the time to get them right again.

Sometimes it is helpful for me to tell my disease (yes I talk to it!) "Not today." Sometimes that makes the thoughts go away. In addition to praying in the morning to stay sober, throughout the day and saying thank you at night.

Hang in there!
Kellye
Old 03-31-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

O Dave...NO!
You fought too hard to blow your progress.
Read your past post.

"This too shall pass"
You are worth sobriety and your kid needs a sober Dad.

Pray and I will add mine right now.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lightbulb 9.5 yrs.

How about 9.5 years. I decided that 1/2 a beer would not hurt anythings. I stayed drunk for 3 weeks. I guess I was lucky. It could have been much longer. And I got very sick but I didn't die. I hadn't been to a meeting in 4 years so you can easily see why I relapsed. Just keep on trudging and talk to your sponsor or if you can't, find someone else to talk to.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR !

I am so glad you survived the binge and found us.
Stick around...we are glad to see a new member.

Comgratulations on your sober years..
I hope you will use them as a base for a new start.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your responses made it thru fri night and am feeling goog this morning and yes i will read my past posts and get off my butt and stop planning my relapse.Thanks Dave..
Old 04-01-2006, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Oh..... and Dave?.......

Call your sponsor!!!!!!!

LOL
Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Staying Sober

Hi, I'm Sharon and I'm an Alcoholic.

15 months is good. I was where u are at one time in early recovery. Im a little further down the road but only one drink away from a drunk if i EVER decide to stop working my program. If u go to meetings and hear how someone has gone back out, they will tell u that its still the same out there. Nothing has changed. Once we become sober, they say it wrecks our drinking careers. It will NEVER be the same. For some reason I feel we are chosen or given another chance in life. Another chance to do some good with our lives and with others.
I look back now and see how my life was so unmanagable. My behavior was destructive. Not only was i hurting myself but others close to me. My family. In Feb 90 i was involved in a bad car accident alone which sent me to the hospital for 10 days with a punctured spleen which had to be removed or else i would have bled to death and numerous other broken ribs and contusions. I healed well in 3 months to only go backout and pick up where i left off in drinking. In Aug 90 the progression of my disease had increased so rapidly to where i almost took my life. I downed some pain pills and was ready to check out. A miracle happened when a family intervention took place sending me to rehab in the back of a police car. I was sooooo humiliated, disgusted and angry at my family for doing that to me. But u know.....they did for me what I couldn't do for myself. From that moment on I ADMITTED i had a drinking problem, ACCEPTED it and then TURNED MY WILL AND LIFE OVER TO THE CARE OF A HIGHER POWER to guide me and help me one day at a time to stay sober. Now my purpose in life is to carry the message to others suffering out there. Sharing my EXPERIENCES, STRENGTHS AND HOPES with them. Share what it was like when i was drinking. What happened when i got sober and how is my life now. You will notice that when u do help another drunk you are really helping urself stay sober. It allows u to get out of urself and forget ur problems and help someone stay sober. When I used to go to meetings i would bring a package of cookies or bake something. It was A way of allowing me to stay a little longer at a meeting and letting others get to know me. Give it a try and u'll have them eating out of ur hands. : )
Old 04-01-2006, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmmmn...

15 months is when I allowed complacency and the desire for alcohol and all of it's exciting accompanyments to enter into my life again.

Inevitably, as has been the case in the past, the chaos returned before long and it became harder to get back into recovery.

Growl at the f*@k it's and redouble your efforts. Enough of us have already done the research for you. It doesn't get any better out there.

Hit some different meetings... pick a new hobby or recreation...
get active in your group... take the initiative and make plans to meet and
do things with sober friends outside of just seeing them at meetings.

Stay Positive... Take Action!

Peace to you.

-Wolfman
Old 04-01-2006, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Dave... it is scary for me (only 4+ months sober) to read posts like this one. BUT I am so grateful to you for it because it sorta prepares me and puts that seed in my mind that even though I'm feeling strong today... like I got this puppy whipped... that I cannot be lulled into a false sense of security. I gotta stay vigil even when I think I'm all that and have this thing in the bag. Reality check for me. So thank you so much and I'm glad you made it through the feeling!

~hugs~ hang in there

Suga
Old 04-01-2006, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Dave,
Glad you made it through and are feeling more positive.
I had five years and had to go back for more, and now its been slip, slip, slip,
personally I would advise, Dont Do This!!!
It seems easy with time to start thinking about the good ol day, which were really just a nightmare. Next thing your right back, or for me, not right back but I think worse than when I quit.
Congratulation on your sober time, hang on to it for dear life
Old 04-05-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your wonderful advise and i,m still hanging in there....
Old 04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good onya dave ! keep on keeping on!

I like what Wolfie said, change ya meetings, do something different. I have had to do that recently, not cos I was going to drink, but i was feeling stale. I tend to isolate a bit , and thats what i was doing .

I heard a man share at a meetig on Monday, that he had 10 years up, and he picked up a drink, and it took him 3 months to get back, but he said that he has NEVER found the quality of sobriety, nor the length , again. He said he has " slips" ansd although they are only 1 or 2 nights now, he wishes he had the serenity he had at 10 years.

not worth it i reckon

Hang in there dave

HUGX
lee