Notices

looking for help for my family

Old 03-31-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for help for my family

I am looking for suggestions and help for my family. We just (4 days ago) had an intervention with my brother and helped him find his way to rehab for substance abuse. So far he is seeking help. The problem is with my mother, Yesterday she cried all day and is going into a deep depression. I want to find a good support group for her to attend. I did find a alanon meeting for her to attend, but she is hesitant because she thinks it is religion focused. She does not like religion and frown's at things christian based. She is concerned that the 12 steps is this way. I have convinced her to at least try and listen to one, but I would like to know if anyone else has any suggestions. Thank you.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello! Welcome to SR! Glad you found us.

I personally don't know of any support groups for families other than Al-anon. You might want to post down in the Friends and Family forum and see what you can find out there. I hope you and your Mom get the help you need!
Old 03-31-2006, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome (((ARichards)))

As Lulu said, I hope you will join us in the Naranon and/or Friends & Family forums. There's a ton of love and support here for both you and your mom. I know how hard this is, but you don't have to go thru it alone.

hugs to you ~

deedee
Old 03-31-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heather

You may also want to let her know that yes the twelve steps are built around a "higher power" but that doesn't necessarily translate into christianity. Your "higher power" can be whatever you want it to be.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Hi and Welcome

Sorry I'm late on this. The 12 step programs are spirtuality based, which is MUCH different than christian-based. One of the best principles in Al-Anon is take what you like and leave the rest....it's just good to be with others who are experiencing the same situations and God doesn't have to have anything to do with that.

Check out the Nar-Anon forum, maybe with your Mom, and I think she'll see it's about the support. Hugs, and keep coming back!