Notices

what are the best things about not drinking

Old 03-27-2006, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what are the best things about not drinking

I am about to embark on a frightening but exciting period - no longer drinking and I am facing a lot of evenings of saying 'no'. I would love to have some nuggets in my head to call upon when I'm tempted by the lies that alcohol tells me. I want to know what all your favourite things about not drinking are. For me, I'm imagining a life of never feeling like **** in the morning again, or really being able to see other people and truly hear what they're saying. I'd love to hear any thoughts from sober people about what they love most about not drinking.
best wishes and can I just say finding this site is like coming home
xx
Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

No hangovers
No guilt, shame and remorse
Having the ability to stay true to myself
having the ability to walk through fear
having the ability to be honest
" " " to help others
learning how to love myself
having more fun sober than I ever did drunk, especially dancing at parties and such
being apart of AA
having so many great, true friends
living a spiritual life..

I could keep going...
Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A daily connection with my God

Freedom to discover the sober woman I have become

Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

I say...

Yes to no hangovers
Yes to no more day-after guilt trips.
Yes to no more self-hatred.
Yes to no more lie telling to hide my addiction.
Yes to feeling GOOD about myself.
Yes to being confident in being able to handle simple everyday issues.
Yes to having FUN and remembering it the next day!
Yes to loving my life with my husband.
Yes to loving the way my husband looks at me instead of feeling so very bad about the look of disappointment in his eyes AND in my own eyes when I looked into the mirror.
Yes to being excited about my future instead of feeling hopeless.
Yes to finding compassion for others and myself.
Yes to discovering who I am... I had lost myself in my addiction.
Yes to finding joy in my dogs wagging tail instead of obsessing about alcohol.
Yes to going out and having a wonderful time and not missing out even a little bit. I never thought this was possible when I was drinking... my addiction had me thinking that without alcohol going to a party would be boring... that I would be boring. Well, I'm not! I'm a total and complete goofball nincompoop sober too! Whee!

Like requiredfield... I too could go on forever.

All this is mine.

All I had to do is finally say NO... one more time... and mean it.

I'm so happy you are here and I'm excited for your future. It may seem so far off right now and it is not an easy thing to do - to give up your addiction - but you are worth it. You are worth whatever it takes to get your life back from the prison alcoholism puts everyone in who suffers from it.

Suga
Old 03-27-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NO GUILT!
Better memory.
Feeling of good health.
Better sleep.
Waking up in the morning is NICE, not dreadful.
Better skin (no longer a "greenish hue" ).
Weight loss.
Bright, clear eyes.
I can be a much better mom now!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Luc, and welcome!

I have a long list, too, and I have only been at this about two months. The biggest thing for me at the moment is that now when my boys come over to visit, I feel like I am not setting a deplorable example to them by getting wasted and falling asleep at 7 or in the middle of a movie. To be able to go out with them after dinner now, since in the past, I was often too popped to risk driving after about 4. I was always so ashamed at the example I was setting for them, expecially as they got older, and know that daddy wasnt tired, daddy was loaded. This alone has provided me with a lot of strenght.

And my dear wife is happier too, and although she never gave me much grief over it, I know she is so much happier when I am awake to go to bed with her, not pass out on the couch.

I could go on for hours, but I'm sure you will get lots of response on this thread.

Welcome again, and yes, this is a great place, I may not get it right for a long time, but the support I find here has been worth more than anything else I have ever tried, and I actually think I will make it!

Steve
Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love being able to wake up in the mornings raring to go. I love not shaking, puking and feeling miserable, planning my next drink. I love the fact that if someone calls me in the middle of the night I can talk to them. I love the fact that my memory is back and my mind is sharp as a tack. I love the fact that my kids and family can depend on me now. I love the fact that I can depend on ME now. I love the fact that I can look in the mirror and like the person I see. I love the fact that I remember what happened the night before. I love my AA group and the friends I have made there. I love life today with all its ups and downs.

As everyone else has said I could go on and on but will finish with the fact that sobriety has given me my life back and I have grown in more ways than I could have ever imagined. Want to know whats even better? The best is yet to come!!!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 03-27-2006, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Knowing beyond a doubt who you'll wake up next to....... :andy:
Old 03-27-2006, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Golden - sorry but I about busted a gut on that one!!! Yeah, you're right that is definitely another advantage to sobriety!!!!!!!!!

Kellye
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 2 weeks and 2 days sober today.(Im pretty over the moon about it!!!)
The best about being sober for me is the weekends.Last weekend I woke up at 7.30am on Saturday,got the paper,had a coffee,practised my songs,then recorded them,for a little radio station, I was also making the other muso's laugh with my (forgotten) humour,then that same day I was invited to a recording studio,and played the most AMAZING piano.I was sober the whole time.I can hardly believe myself.But its true.That for me is the best thing,the fact that I can express myself without being drunk.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile Rewards Of Not Drinking

I'd love to hear any thoughts from sober people about what they love most about not drinking.

Hi, Im Sharon and I'm an Alcoholic.

What I love most about not drinking is:

Not driving up the interstate the wrong way or making u-turns in the middle of the highway that could have ultimately KILLED someone. Thank God I didn't do it when I was drinking.

Having the desire to not drink again. The willingness to turn my Will and Life over to the care of God as I understand him.

Learning to live a better way of life following the 12 Steps of Recovery.

Not drinking allowed me to keep my family. To see my 2 kids grow and mature into 2 little adults attening college today with help and guidance from Above.

Not drinking is allowing me to be teachable.

Not driinking has given me YOU. A wonderful Fellowship of people who today I can call my AA Family.

Thank you for being here for me.

Love and Care.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The best thing about sobriety for me is:

energy, stamina, enthusiasm returned

the ability to let things go, no more drama

recognizing my tendency to fantasize or want to escape is still there, but have the strength not to make stupid decisions. This strength comes from developing the strenght to say no to my afddiction, one more day.

caring sincerely for others, and really listening to them with my heart

not overspending

telling the truth

mornings

afternoons

nights
Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks SO much, can't tell you how much this helps. Can't wait to get my weekends back too and get back to ME
best wishes and thanks again
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I only have two weeks sober, but I can tell you this...

I love to go to bed and wake up sober. It is an amazing feeling! I haven't "remembered" going to bed in years. I would simply pass out. Now, I look forward to it and find myself going to bed earlier.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

for me the best thing is no hangovers!!! I never realized how hungover I was until I quit drinking. The hangovers and the drunks kind of ran together into one big yuck!!
Old 03-28-2006, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aaSharon90
I'd love to hear any thoughts from sober people about what they love most about not drinking.
Sober person here
Difficult to answer that one; it's many years since I got drunk, don't think about it at all really.
I just see the struggle that my man goes through at times; thats enough for me to stay away from it.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Chy

I think you know what to expect and great suggestions already given. Now just don't fear diving in head first! I was one of those fearful of sobriety. I can vouch it was 10 years of wasted fears, I realized it once I just did it! You can to!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not being paranoid when a cop car is around me while driving.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

hey i dont miss
vomitimg day in and day out
detoxing
paranaia
fear
delusional
losing kids
trouble with law
hospitals
being smelly, dirty and pukey
my hair falling out
teeth rotting from stomach acid and vodka
just to name a few-
there is about a thousand more!!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

Hi Lucretia, welcome! What a great question....and something that in my opinion, no matter how long you have sober you can still find an answer to....thinking of my gratitude list that never lacks for items!

I am most grateful for, as Carol said, a relationship with my HP, whom I choose to call God. I never had that for many, many years and tried to fill the void with all sorts of unhealthy obsessions. Now I know that no matter what is going on in my life, I am not alone anymore...thanks to my understanding and acceptance of Step 2....I have come to believe that a power greater than myself can restore me to sanity, and I am not ashamed now to "talk" to my HP every day like I was before. The shakes, hangovers, puking, feeling absolutely an idiot for what I did the night before, that's all really good too...and not losing half the weekend from a Friday night binge....oh yeah.

But the most important thing I've gained from sobriety and my program is the serenity and peace of mind I never really had before. I'm 41 now, so that's a lotta years of unhappiness, insecurity and isolation.