Campral...does anyone know about this...

Old 03-26-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Campral...does anyone know about this...

James is going to see a new doctor recommended by his therapist so that he can try this.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

Thanks

Jenny
Old 03-26-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Charlene

Yes, I have been taking it and even though it is VERY expensive it is absolutely unbeleivable in taking away urges and cravings for alchol. Go to www.campral.com and read up on it. You can see some patients that have been on it. Let me know how you are doing on it and give it some time. I have noticed that in times of boredom and bad days I dont even want to drink or anything. It is truly awesome. My doctor that prescribed it said that he has been seeing patients for several years that he could not get to stay sober and all of them have been very successful on this medication. It for me has a wow effect. Let me know how you feel.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

jenny--
im laura--alcoholic--i have never been on campral but antabuse is a miracle for me--have you guys tried that?
Laura
Old 03-26-2006, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just to clarify...my husband of 10 years, James, is the alcoholic in my life.

Thanks for any input. I will share it with him.

Jenny
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried Campral and Antabuse. Both failed because at the time, my heart wasn't in getting sober.

Now that I am wanting to straighten my life out, I will most likely attempt Campral again.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny, my Phil is taking Campral now; he tried it about
2 years ago but didn't take it properly, I don't think he held out much hope of it helping him at the time. He went back on it just after Xmas and he's taking it as prescribed, it seems to be doing him a lot of good this time. He's much better able to control the cravings; and the cravings are not as strong too.
It's also helping to heal the neural pathways in his brain, he's thinking much clearer and more positively now.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been taking campral for about four months now. i started taking it when I was about sixwks sober, and I had a relapse after (at about three and a half months c and s). My relapse only lasted for three days, and i now have about six weeks clean. My doctor and myself think that the campral contributed to the short relapse. I am still taking it. I still have cravings, but I am turning those over to my higher power and am now working on my fourth step. As a cronic relapser and dual diagnosed, I do think that the campral is probably helping me. Who knows for sure???????? The fact that I now have an excellent sponsor and that I am willing and working the steps and the program to the best of my ability are what are really keeping me sobor, the campral is just a little extra support. The studies show that it prevents relapse in some
Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My mom is on Campral and she said it's working really well. It's supposed to get rid of 50% to 75% of the cravings. Obviously the addict still has to want to quit in order for it to work. It's the closest thing to a miracle drug. My mom said her doctor at rehab said that it doesn't effect the liver and has little to no side effects. She also told me that she heard they were trying to come up with a similar version for drug addicts. Good luck to you and your husband
Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

John was on Campral and Anabuse.....he is still drinking, need I say more....
You have got to want to stop whole heartedly.....it isn't a magic pill
Old 03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I argee Patty; the spirit has to be willing and you have to stick with it for it to do it's job.
It is a tool to help you achieve the goal.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just started on it today... I'll let you know! The dosing is a pain- 2 pills three times a day. I have a one-week free sample so I don't know what the cost is-- Ought to be cheaper than the wine that I usually have instead....Day 1 and counting.
Laura
Old 09-13-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My P was on it for few weeks about 4 years ago, but as Mr Know-it-all, did not follow the dosage ad whined every day. In Aussie it was then about $175 per month, which is far too high for many families. When P told me 2 weeks ago that HE had decided for himself to quit drinking, I asked if he would go on Campral again and follow the script directions this time. He has yet to come to that, but counsellor may assist him to make up his mind. I wish yo all the best in your battle with the worst enemy I know, damned ALCOHOL.