Notices

Help with 1st AA meeting

Old 03-26-2006, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with 1st AA meeting

I'm needing to go to my 1st AA meeting. I went to one last week, and there were about 50 people there and while the person was reading the creed or motto or whatever is it, I got really nervous and walked out. I'm not sure what to expect, even though I know they are all there for the same reason for me. I'm not good at speaking in front of people. Will I have to spill my whole life in front of everybody? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do in an AA meeting.

They might ask if you want to introduce yourself. Go ahead if you feel like it. If not, just say "Hi, I'm here just to listen for today, thank you."

Welcome to SR btw!

My first meeting I was fearful too. I didn't want to be the center of attention and I just knew I had a "Newbie" sign on my forehead. It was such a great experience though and I will never regret going. I have met a bunch of really good people who I can relate to and talk to about my alcoholism and they totally "get" me. They know what I have gone through. Such a relief.

Hang in there you can do it.

Suga
Old 03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is what to expect....

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/...AA_Meeting.html

I also left my 1xt meeting... just go again.

Welcome to SR!

Blrssings.....
Old 03-26-2006, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

All meeting are different. As u continue to go you will find the one u feel comfortable at. My first meeting was in Rehab. Then I use to feel like an outsider looking in when i began to go on my own. I use to think i was the youngest person in those rooms. That was 15 yrs. ago. Now, you should see all the wonderful younger people coming in. What an inspiration to see how they are starting out younger and younger attacking their addictions. The more times u go, even if u just show up, people will begin to recognize u. I use to bring cookies and things to eat for each of my meetings. That way, if i stayed a bit longer people would thank me for my goodies and make a lasting impression on them. : ) And im one that doesnt like to be noticed or cause attention to myself. Shy like. : ) This does help get one out of their shells if u know what i mean. Once u begin to feel apart of and comfortable, then the floor is urs. : ) Just take it a day at a time. Glad ur here.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by fooseman79
I'm needing to go to my 1st AA meeting. Will I have to spill my whole life in front of everybody? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Most of us need it, but only those of us that want it will get it. I know I played on that fence top for a lot of years. Anyway you won't have to say a thing if you don't want to. If they call on you which I am sure they won't you could always just introduce yourself and pass. Don't get scared there are no STRANGERS HERE! Sending good thoughts your way.

Love Vic

BTW I lived in NP for almost all of my life, I have moved now but if you ever need to talk you can PM me or email me
Old 03-26-2006, 04:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.
When as a newcomer saying nothing at all,you can be over-looked,and may feel that no one is trying to be of help to you.
I didnt speak for the longest time.I said my name,and that i was a newcomer and next words were pass,if it was a closed meeting.I got a sponsor and it was to her,that i told my whole story to.Personally,At meetings,i share in a general way,.
All the best on your journey to a new way of life,
keep on,keeping on,
Old 03-26-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi mate, in the same boat myself actually. I went to my first meeting last night. I was cringing as I saw someone that I used to know but it was sound. Nobody expected anything from me and I just said (when my turn came) hi I'm Sonja, I'm alcoholic and let them move on. I had no pressure and it's ok to be nervous. I'm going back next week but I'm nervous and shy too. It's no big deal mate. Just sit there and listen and if you feel like talking then do, otherwise just don't. Dont worry about it. Just go back and see if you can sit through it. If you can't then don't but if you can then do.

It'll be fine hon, just don't worry about it Just keep going I guess.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

All you have to do is listen.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

waaaaaaaaaaaaaah that was supposed to be a pm!

oh shame! I didn't mean to post that in public!
Old 03-26-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Nothing shameful in that post. What a great share in your first AA experience. Keep coming back and keep sharing.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Fooseman,

Welcome to SR, and glad that you are on youir way to a healthy life. AA meetings are for you, and as mentioned by others here, the only requirement in a "closed" AA meeting is the desire to stop drinking alcohol.

You can listen forever if thats what you are ready for. You can post here at SR and be totally anonymous if that feels more cpmfortable than speaking in front of a group.

What works for me is to go to a variety of different formats/meetings. For example I attend an "Open Speaker" meeting 1 time each week. This is where a person tells the story of their drinking past, how they hit their bottom and came into recovery, and what life is like for them today.

I also attend a very small woman's Step meeting once a week. You could choose a Men's group. In a smaller meeting it eels easier to open up.

I added in 2 other meetings per week: 1 is becoming my home group, and the other one is one I change frequently in order to cross-pollinate (plus, I travel to a large city every other week and the night i am in the city I go to a meeting there)

I stay close to these forums at SR, and find it totally deepens my understanding of recovery issues.

hope this helps you!

Stick around and tell us how its going, okay?