Married to an alcoholic now a meth user.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Married to an alcoholic now a meth user.

My husband quit drinking 5 years ago and I recently learned that he's been smoking crystal meth for the past 2 years. Besides being told by the person who originally supplied the drug, I found the paraphanalia and he's showing all the signs, as well as depleting our bank account. He doesn't know that I know and I want him to get help, but I can't stay married to him after all of this. How do I approach him and should I do it alone?

Also, I have been getting sick a lot these past couple of years and wonder if it's from skin contact with him or just stress related. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thank you...
Old 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Allexx
My husband quit drinking 5 years ago and I recently learned that he's been smoking crystal meth for the past 2 years. Besides being told by the person who originally supplied the drug, I found the paraphanalia and he's showing all the signs, as well as depleting our bank account. He doesn't know that I know and I want him to get help, but I can't stay married to him after all of this. How do I approach him and should I do it alone?

Also, I have been getting sick a lot these past couple of years and wonder if it's from skin contact with him or just stress related. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thank you...

Hey there,

I'm an X meth user. (18 1/2 weeks) My opinion would be to call someplace about doing an intervention with him, if you really want
to get him help. Hopefully he will want to go into a rehab if possible.

This drug is scary, imo, it's worse than most of them. I've tried a lot of stuff, even crack once. Nothing was ever like this was. It's known in the drug world as, "The devils drug"....

I know a lot of people are violent of it. I personally wasn't, but I've seen and heard a lot.

As far as I know being around someone who's using, won't make you sick, unless they've been in a meth lab. That's bad!! If he 'has' been around one, I'd go get checked out. You should probably get checked out anyway.

You may also want to try going to

http://www.soberrecovery.com/f
rums/nar-anon/

that's the naranon forum here. They will be of good help also to get your through this.

Hang in there sweetie,

DWI
Old 03-19-2006, 12:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((allexx)) sorry to hear you are going through this. i cannot imagine being with someone who left one addiction behind and took on another. it has to be very stressful. yes, that is what could be causing you to get sick. the past 1-1/2 to 2 years i was also often getting sick. our family doctor finally told me i had to take care of myself or i'd end up in the hospital much sooner than my AH would due to his drinking. my blood pressure was up, i got more colds, i put on weight, i was having migraines, etc.

try to take care of yourself. my prayers are with you.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

M.... as well as depleting our bank account. ....Also, I have been getting sick a lot these past couple of years and wonder if it's from skin contact with him or just stress related. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thank you...
Just a few things, Allexx.

First, can you take immediate steps to protect your financial well being? (set up separate bank accounts, set aside some "disaster money" just in case you are left homeless, etc...)

It sounds like you are thinking about an intervention. There is a wonderful website with a ton of free information about interventions:
http://www.lovefirst.net/

Finally, in answer to your question about your health - yes! Living with an addict or alcoholic can cause catastrophic stress related illnesses in the family members around the addict. The best way to protect your health is to work your own recovery program, for example, Al-anon. My health has improved a lot since I got into Al-anon and started to work my program.

Finally, my sympathies are with you.

God bless
Old 03-21-2006, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[I]Thank you all for your kind, informative responses and prayers. I have a doctor's appointment next week to get myself checked out, and I have started a new bank account, have a good job, friends and family support. I plan on having family members visit this weekend and talking to him then. Hopefully, he will admit he has a problem and will agree to get help. If not, he's on his own...
Old 03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I also was/am married to an alcoholic who turned to meth. It's embarassing but you should get check for STD's. My Doctor told us that a lot of things can be passed by smoking through pipes which was the way my AH did. My parents didn't stop asking until I was tested. It was negative but I still was also told to re test six months later.

I am so sorry for what you have been going through. I hope it gets easier for you.