Notices

NA and poker

Old 03-07-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA and poker

ok so i have a question... i have an idea of the answer but need some feedback... My ABF is living in a 3/4 house... has been clean for about 4 months or so... well he and the guys he lives with have been spending alot of their free time with poker/ poker games, online poker, you get the idea. Anyway with the online poker none of these guys have bank accounts so they cannot put money into netteller to send to their poker accounts. They have the money etc. but no means of transfering it- my ABF and his friends wanted to know if i could send it through my bank account... i figured once or twice (it wasn't alot of money and wasn't a big deal) well i did this about three days ago- since the 1st time i've probably made 4 or 5 transactions for them. And they are CONSTANTLY online playing poker or in a group playing- I'm pretty sure this is wrong and have started getting pissy with my ABF because i said he should be working his steps more and recovery rather than subsituting his addiction- ya'll are probably going to yell at me i'm guessing so i guess let me have it...
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dane5679
I'm pretty sure this is wrong and have started getting pissy with my ABF because i said he should be working his steps more and recovery rather than subsituting his addiction- ya'll are probably going to yell at me i'm guessing so i guess let me have it...
I'm not gonna let you have it,. dane. I think YOU learned a lesson here, even if he did not.

We have a great Naranon forum here. If you are both addicts, it might be a good idea for you to learn how you can detatch with love and not enable.

This is a process, sweetie. We don't snap our fingers and get everything right the first time.

And congrats on YOUR sober time. Good for you!!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Even if no money changes hands, the action is still a substitution of addictions.
The thrill of playing in hopes of the emotional high that comes from winning or the emtional low that comes from a loss is where the addiction takes it's hold.
Add money and it becomes a higher higher and a lower low. Add money and it becomes a nightmare for all around...same as a coke habit or any other addiction. Empty bank accounts, lies, stealing, manipulation... Same list, different drug.

The codie in me would intervene and call management to ask them about such practices being allowed.
Not sure if flagging them to such is right or not but it could be something they are overlooking or need to be held accountable for. (management not the addicts) A socially acceptable addiction is not a suitable replacement and more so when such a replacement distroys lives as much as any drug or alcohol can.