Notices

I need a shoulder to cry on

Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a shoulder to cry on

Today is my 10th day without drinking and I am feeling SOOOO DEPRESSED! I thought it was suppose to get better. I feel so sad. I am home by myself and I want to so bad to go buy a bottle of wine because it sure is better than feeling like this. Please is there any hope for me.
Thank you for listening.

Theresa
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Theresa, my tenth day was hell. I know there is hope because I am not abusing, have not been abusing for over 150 days.

My emotions are still recovering from all the time that I spent hiding them behind the abuse of my DOC. It is taking a while to get used to feeling them again, but day by day I am begining to balance them out.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Theresa,

Congratulations on 10 sober days! That's great!

I think the question I have for you is what else are you doing to help yourself recover? Stopping drinking is hard but it is only the beginning of the process. That's when the real journey begins. It might be a good idea to use a journal to track your recovery and your emotions. Also, maybe you could begin to get more physical exercise. That helps a lot, too. And, above all, be patient with yourself. 10 days is a great accomplishment, but it is still early and will take awhile for you to physically and emotionally recover.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi bymyself,

I know the feeling, I spend a lot of time alone, and often that is when I want a drink. I dont know where you live, but surely there is something you can do. I like to walk, can you take a long walk? Or if it is cold, most gyms will give you a one day pass hopeing you will join, might kill an hour or so for ya, and tire you out. I have less interest in drinking when I am already physically tired. Do you have a SO, get them to take you somewhere where alcohol is not welcome, if you can. Visit a relative with childred (I always felt guilty loaded around children)

Hope this helps, keep posting, too, we're here!

S
Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Theresa-
I vividly remember my 10th day without drinking (it was only 150 days ago). That was the day I decided to go to an AA meeting. I was feeling depressed, alone, hopless, shameful, guilty, and like I was lost. When I went to that AA meeting, my life changed. I never ever thought I'd become an "AA person", but I am.

Congrads on 10 days!! That's a major accomplishment. Don't beat yourself up. You deserve a pat on the back. If you are anything like me, it's a miracle to be sober. Keep coming back to SR. Perhaps you can read about different recovery programs, and find one which is right for you. Remember, above all, YOU ARE NOT ALONE. We all struggle, and we must help eachother.

I wish you peace and serenity on your 10th day. Hang in there.
chip
Old 03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go ahead and cry. It's OK here.

Once you've finished heed the advice of some others here...go do something. I originally had the excuse that I couldn't get out and do anything because I had my son with me...then I found out how much he loves going out with me no matter if it's a walk around the block, a trip to the pet store (just to look) or anything. He was tired of being cooped up in the house with me when I had my fist firmly gripped around a bottle of beer. So, no matter what your excuse is, that's all it is...an excuse...I've learned it's all part of the "magical thinking" that came along with addiction and we need to beat it off with a stick every now and again. (I'm not hitting you...I'm hitting those magical thoughts).

You can do it! You've made it this far and that shows a lot of strength.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((bymyself))) no your're not! how strong and brave are you? (((huge hugs))) with you my friend. never forget how beautlful, capable and strong you are. you must be, other wise youd have given up a long time ago! keep warm, and know that you've got love and support from me!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

when i said that you would have given up long ago, i meant on life not anything else. please forgive me if i wrote that wrong.x (((hugs))) insert foot!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Wink

Old 03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa!
Don't get the wine hon, you'd regret it if you did and it wouldn't make you feel better, you'd only feel guilty and regret it and wish you hadn't. I'm talking as if I already know you but I know that you sound just like me when I'm thinking of buying wine so I feel like I know you in a way. Please don't buy wine. Pm me instead! I don't get out much so do your bit for charity and send me a pm instead! ((((hugs)))))

I won't do it if you won't!
Old 03-04-2006, 01:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Hi bymyself

Congratulations on your 10 days sober!

My old re-hab counselor explained my nervousness and restless feelings and racing thoughts in early sobriety this way. The human brain stores memories and thoughts or ideas in pathways of neurons. The damage I had done through years of drugging and drinking had burned or destroyed some of those pathways. I knew I had learned particular facts but couldn't "find" them. In early sobriety, my brain, now free from the constant pounding that drugs and alcohol had been giving it, was working diligently at restoring connections and finding new pathways for thought and memory. She told me that it would be entirely possible that one day I would suddenly recall a happy moment in my life or the smell of one of my favorite food. She said that this was nothing more than evidence of healing. My brain had finally found a way to access that pathway. So the racing thoughts, the sadness was just my brain trying to sort out and make sense of how all that information should be organized. It will change.

Peace and Love
Ivan
Old 03-04-2006, 02:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow! bloody hell! that's some seriously interesting information Ivan! Very interesting! Fascinating! I never knew that but it's very interesting. I look forward to hearing more!

Peace and love to you too mate, what a great post!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Bymyself,
I too am by myself. I live with my 12 year old and often spend nights alone after he has gone to bed. My vice is wine too. The bottle won't bring someone to you it will only numb the feeling of loneliness until the next morning. Then the process repeats itself again.
GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. I find if I go visit people, no one knows I drink so I can't drink in front of them. Go see a friend, go see your mum (mine drives me nuts and she would freak if she knew I had a problem) but it gets me out. Go for a walk, go lie in the grass under a tree. Go out but you don't have to do anything strenuous just get some fresh air. We sit inside way too much cause our houses are too nice and comfortable. If we lived in caves we wouldn't sit inside all day ...LOL! We should get back to our roots and act primative sometimes. Get away from the lonely place. Start to enjoy your own company. Put some music on and light some candles or incense. Make your space lovely, nice smelling and warm and cosy. Put a daggy movie on like Grease or Dirting Dancing and be drawn into the movie.
There is lots of hope for you because you posted here before actioning your thoughts. Thats huge. You are thinking and listening to your body but not actioning its outcry. You can beat it and are. 10 days is amazing.
Hang in their Theresa. This too shall pass. You will feel emotions and ups and downs just let them take their course but don't give in.
I'm here for you
Braveheart
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have 866 days without booze and i don't miss it go to a lot of meetings 3 times a day if you have read your 12 promises they will come true in time good luck JOE K.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bymyself
Today is my 10th day without drinking and I am feeling SOOOO DEPRESSED! I thought it was suppose to get better. I feel so sad. I am home by myself and I want to so bad to go buy a bottle of wine because it sure is better than feeling like this. Please is there any hope for me.
Thank you for listening.

Theresa
HI Theresa... This is not all uncommon.. I cannot tell you the solution for you. I can tell you what the solution was for me.. I got to AA.. Found new friends, new things to do with sober friends. Got involved with the program/steps.. Got a sponsor.... Boy did I stay busy ( smile ).... And boy did my life change..

that was 25 years ago... Still busy - still changing and very happy with my life..

My best to you.. I know how hard the roller coaster of early sobriety can be.

Linda C. ( visit my profile - there is a link to my sobriety blog - if interested)
Old 03-04-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for replying. Your support and response is so important to me. Well I didn't buy the bottle of wine so instead I bought pizza and a box of cream puffs. So I ate the pizza and then the cream puffs with alot of milk. It was so good. Not the healthiest food but at least it wasn't wine.
My 11th day today and I had horrible anxiety and I know it's due to not drinking, I just don't like it when it happens while I'm driving, so I came right home and took an Ativan to help me. And I'm feeling more relaxed now. I really hope the anxiety goes away it's such a horrible feeling.

Thank you all again,
Theresa
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Timebuster
Hi bymyself

Congratulations on your 10 days sober!

My old re-hab counselor explained my nervousness and restless feelings and racing thoughts in early sobriety this way. The human brain stores memories and thoughts or ideas in pathways of neurons. The damage I had done through years of drugging and drinking had burned or destroyed some of those pathways. I knew I had learned particular facts but couldn't "find" them. In early sobriety, my brain, now free from the constant pounding that drugs and alcohol had been giving it, was working diligently at restoring connections and finding new pathways for thought and memory. She told me that it would be entirely possible that one day I would suddenly recall a happy moment in my life or the smell of one of my favorite food. She said that this was nothing more than evidence of healing. My brain had finally found a way to access that pathway. So the racing thoughts, the sadness was just my brain trying to sort out and make sense of how all that information should be organized. It will change.

Peace and Love
Ivan
WOW, That is awesome info. I wish I had known that when I was detoxing, lol. Thank you for sharing that.

Bymyself, I am so glad you didn't drink last night. Hang in there, it just gets easier!

DWI
Old 03-04-2006, 01:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done-With-It
WOW, That is awesome info. I wish I had known that when I was detoxing, lol. Thank you for sharing that.]
Cool isn't it. I've copied it into a word document.

Well done Theresa! (I've always wanted to use that emoticon!)
Old 03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

[theresa]. Great big hug. Congratulations on your newfound sobriety.

Make it last. Don't expect too much too soon. Life will continue to happen. There will always be good days and bad days, exhilarating highs and crushing lows, just like with everyone else. Also, in early sobriety, there will be more of them, more often. Things will smooth out if you stay sober.

I've been sober over 17 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bymyself
Thank you for listening.

Theresa
have you talked to anyone? Got any numbers? Hell... try calling the AA hotline, no joke. This is why its SOOO important to say your new at a meeting. This way people give you their numbers. Theres... EVERYONE thats in recovery and happy in recovery knows exactly what your feeling. Someone grin and bare through the tough stuff, it does get better and fast. Dont do it alone. Nobody is strong enough. First word of the first step is WE. There's a reason for that. Please reach out and let another aa help you. Its what keeps us sober... trust me. EVeryone here has been where you are.

Hang in doll. I could add some of these happy icons but that might actually make me drink (joke)