Under the Influence

Old 02-27-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Under the Influence

Just started reading "Under the Influence"

What did you guys think of the book. Would your A read it? Would it help the A?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do alcoholics read? I have never seen my husband pick up a book and he is a very intelligent man. If you hand her the book, duck!
Old 02-27-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What do you think of it? Is it helping you?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I read it. I really liked it. In fact I still pick it up and use it kind of as a reference of sort. Reminds me how little I have to do with it. Really, it opened my eyes.

Would your A read it? Would it help the A?
I suppose it helped him. He needed a coaster and and doorstop. ANd the books served that purpose quite well.

I have a bunch of nicotine patches that are helping me too. They are acting as bookends currently. I dont want to quit and like any tool, they only work if you use them and want them to work.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read it all the time, as well as Beyond the Influence. Never occurred to me to wonder if AH would read it. (that is sarcasm :-) )
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just got this afternoon. Looks interesting. Your so right LOL. My alcoholic would use it as a coaster for her wine glass!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

It's more for the non-A's to get an understanding of addiction, all part of the education process. It's a great book!

I wonder if any active alcoholic has ever read that book?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh she might use the book the same way a friend of mine in AA used his first Big Book that was given to him.

First he used it as a coaster, and when he would get to the point he needed to "rest" his eyes for a bit he would put it ON TOP of his double old fashion glass, so that whatever was left in the glass would not evaporate, roflmao.

He keeps that book as a reminder, because of the big ring stain of spilled booze on the cover. He now has over 32 years of sobriety.

All joking aside, other than possibly throwing it or any other literature you tried to give her at your head no she won't read it.

Now I have a question for you. Have you been to Alanon yet???

Have you heard of the 3C's?? You didn't CAUSE it, you can't CONTROL it, and you can't CURE it.

I know you LOVE her, I know she is the MOTHER of your children, but obsessing over her problem is NOT helping you and the children. NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING you do will get her to her own "bottom" one second sooner. She has to come to the realization ON HER OWN that she is very very sick.

You really need to start working on you.

Have you purchased the book Co-dependent No More yet??? It is available on Amazon.com. I would suggest you get it and read it, over and over and over again.
It is a tremendous help to those of us who have either practicing and/or sober alcoholics in our lives.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have read this book several times, and suggested it to many others (who ARE interested!) One time I did tell AH this was a very interesting book that told about differences in the way bodies breakdown alcohol in alcoholics and nonalcoholics......was he interested in reading book, or would it just go into the trash. He said yes, that is where it was headed if I gave it to him. Told him I thought so, that is why I asked and said I'd save it for someone who was interested and that is what I did. We have never talked about it again.

It WOULD be informative and I would think very "freeing" for an A to read, in my opinion. Hopefully it is used in treatment settings for the patient and their family.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it is a good book. My H read it and I read it. I think it would be good for an alcoholic to learn more about the disease they have.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes I read it and it really stuck with me-in some parts- the part about the instant source of energy- not to be outdone by anything--so now i don't Hate alcohol as much as i did, because i can see how it did have good uses--isn't that strange?!
i also appreciated learning about how the alcohol affects us at a cellular level and how it progressively changes the cells-
other parts of the book to me seem to be allready outdated - however it does raise the issue of how the "experts" do not agree on "alcoholism" and how we really could stand to learn lots more about it.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escape artist
other parts of the book to me seem to be allready outdated -
that's why i also like "beyond the influence." brings some stuff up to date and adds more - especially what should and could be addressed as a society
Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Here is a link to Dr. James Milam's website. You can read some of this stuff online there, if you are interested.http://www.lakesidemilam.com/dis.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

escape artist and denny, can you give me an idea what you thought was outdated??
Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clancy46
escape artist and denny, can you give me an idea what you thought was outdated??
Well, there's been 20 additional years of research on alcohol and the chemical effect it has on a body. The original book really opened up the debate on approaches to treatment and a lot has changed in that area. Sadly, society's alcohol problems have only escalated and the physiological/psychological debate still rages, even in these posts. So I always suggest reading the 2nd book because much has been learned about the disease since the first was published.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know of a certain treatment center in my area that gives both those books out and assigns the reading of them to their clients.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

They give them out, but for the A I believe they need to discuss it, as A's usually won't read anything except a news paper.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LOL! Thank you Clancy, you made me laugh. I am having a real hard, very emotional day today and your post (the one after mine), just struck me so funny....it felt so good to laugh.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

luvroses....Happy I made you laugh. Laughter is so good for us.
I so hope you have a better day tomarrow. BIG HUGS
Old 03-06-2006, 10:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Finished

Finished the book. Not a bad read. I found the information on the biochemical changes in the alcoholic very interesting.

I think the importantance of nutritional therapy was the strongest thing I got from the book. So If you get your A in recovery, seeing an MD and a nutritionist seems a good way to help maintain sobriety.

Sent it to my wife and her family. Maybe they will read it, or at least use as a coaster to protect the coffee table.