Notices

I don't know if I belong

Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know if I belong

I don't know if I belong to N.A. ...My addiction was to klonopin 13mg daily at one time. I got swithched to valium and yada, yada, yada, I'm off them now.
Im still addicted to t'1s but whatever! What I'm getting at is, everyone @ N.A. it seems is or was addicted to meth, pot, heroin, crack, ice...you get my drift,
but hardly anyone recognizes benzos as a drug. Or how bad it could have been for me. I just don't feel like going anymore....I feel stupid. Whats the point! A lot of people look at benzos like there asprins. I feel so stupid.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
one of many

Benzos are some of the most addictive chemicals ever made by human beings. Please don't make excuses to feed your Denial Emmer. My last relapse was on klonopin and xanax. Stick with the program and don't ever give up.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hang in there Emmer, and please don't give up! In my NA group, we don't even mention the name of any drugs. When sharing in the meetings, we simple say our "drug of choice". I think that works well in keeping us all on the same level. We're all fighting addiction and are struggling to live life clean in recovery. It doesn't matter what drugs we all took. Didn't you hear that in the readings at the beginning of the meeting?

"We are not interested in what or how much you used or who your connections were, what you have done in the past, how much or how little you have, but only in what you want to do about your problem and how we can help."

Please stick with it. NA DOES work. But whatever you decide, please stay here and keep posting at SR. We care. Have a great day, Em!

~ Kelly ~
Old 02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Emmer I had a similar problem but I was also Alchol depennt so i fell into AA meetings,
It in my book does not matter which you go to as long as you in a 12Step programIf NA is not working for you cause of your "drug of chooce" then go to a plce that will accept you for one that has a dependency problem
Old 02-27-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Emmer exactly what Time4Change said is correct. We say during the opening of the meetings that we not not care what kind of drugs you did, who your connections were, how little or how much we have left for a reason. It's because the common unity found is NA is the desire to stop using and being dependant on drugs, no matter if it's heroin, ether or cough syrup, we are all the same people struggling with a disease, a disease that DRUGS are only a SYMPTOM of. If you're truly not satisfied with the meeting you go to, how about simply trying a new one in your area? Addiction doesn't have an ID tag, Emmer - and it's important to everyone in NA that we strip ourselves of our past use and dig deep to progressively find the core behaviors that our addiction is a part of so that we may change and grow as people. For myself, the using part of drugs and alchohol is the easiest to follow in this program. I know that some days I can go out and have a relapse without even doing a drug or touching a drink. Rather I would notice behaviors that are associated with my past and from my days of using. For instance, I will start to get snappy at people for no reason, I will start to get anxious, I'll start to have expectations on everything that I do. every movement that I make will have an expectation followed by it. If I even so much as take a step I want some results, I want someones secretary memoing me a spreadsheet of the results on that step that I just took. If I do for you, then you do for me, self-centeredness (not drugs) is the nature of this disease, and it's important that we keep that in mind.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No need to feel stupid. A drug is a drug. You are there for you. I wouldnt waste too much time worrying if others recognize Benzo's as a drug, or what drugs other members used. What other people think is really none of your business. Stay focused on yourself and your recovery.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank-you so much for your replies, This sort of thing makes the differance between
saying to hell with it and not going anymore, and going to the next meeting.
I know there is core problems that I have to deal with....no doubt about it. Lot of deep down problems. We don't mention the drugs we are on @ N.A. either. But now and then someone will come up to me and ask what my doc was. I don't want to be rude so I say what it is. i think people just want to help. I don't know.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hey Joe

You know what in the first step it says what? "We admitted we were powerless over our addiction and our lives have became unmanageable." There is no where does it mention drugs. Addiction is not the drugs it is the disease. You know Joe I can use anything to fill that loneliness etc. I can use shopping, sex, eating, whatever to fill that hole of addiction.

Don't worry about what others think or say Joe. This is your road to recovery. I know I sure in the hell can give good advice but I can not follow my own advice. Please Joe, take it easy and remember that your doing the best you can Joe. I hope the best for you Joe. Do what you feel is right and don't let anyone else take that Joy from you. I am not doing very well right now Joe, so use me as an example to get you ass to a meeting OK.

Vic
Old 02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
REZ

When I got into NA 21 years ago I felt like I didn't belong because my drug of choice was marijuana. Everyone else was hardcore heroin junkies. Bottom line: it's not what drug we did, but how the drug affected us. We have a reading at the beginning of NA meetings that goes "We don't how much or how little you used, or who your connections were, but only what you want to do about your problem and how we can help."
Old 02-27-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time4Change
"We are not interested in what or how much you used or who your connections were, what you have done in the past, how much or how little you have, but only in what you want to do about your problem and how we can help.
YES, you belong, Joe. I have learned that AA and NA are NOT about what we drank or used, but HOW WE RECOVER.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your a member when you say "You are"

c'mon everybody say it with me "You are"
Old 02-27-2006, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Gooch
Your a member when you say "You are"

c'mon everybody say it with me "You are"
"YOU ARE"
Old 02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

EEEYYAARRRE!!!

Oops, I mean "Are!"
Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You belong, emm... recovery is possible for every addict, ... What you used isnt important. What are you willing to do about it - thats what counts!

dont listen to the addicted voiceinside telling you that its ok to go back out, cause you dont belong... Pick up your book, and read who is an addict... Surrender just for today... Dont let any reservation that its not that bad, Y>E>T> take you back out.. Youre>elligible>too... Remember, jails, institutions, death...thats where using always takes us...