I need some anwsers

Old 02-26-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some anwsers

I currently am all alone on a 28 day stretch because my boyfriend that I am currently living with is in rehab. I have never been thru this. What is my role suppose to be now, and when he returns home?

The problem is that he is in there due to a court order from a DUI. He doesn't even drink that much, and now they have him on some sort of pill for the next few days for detox. I don't understand all of this? Anyone?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dfischer.. Welcome to friends and family site here on SR.
To answer your question on needing answers, that is one of the horrible parts of alcoholism, seems really no black and white answers, as each person that drinks is different as to what it does to the body and mind.
You were given some very good comments over on the other sites.

I am thinking the pills are to help him come down as withdrawal can be dangerous.
They are doing the right things, of that I feel sure.

I went thru the 28 day program, it is fantastic, that is if they are still pretty much the same program.
Try going to some open AA meetings, and Please do go to Al-Anon.

Some on here mention they had no idea their SO was drinking so much. Many hide it by
hiding bottles, so they can sneak drinks, or drink vodka in between as it doesn't smell.
There is so much to learn, so read, read and read some more. Keep asking questions, as others will share what worked for them.

As far as your role, just let him do as he feels. We can not help, that is one of the hardest things for us to learn, reading and Al-Anon will help with that. and keep coming back.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

dfischer, I am alone right now also. My husband has been gone to rehab for a week now. He was also court ordered because of a dui. He has to do 2 daily PBT's because he cannot seem to keep away from the alcohol. It is very lonely. Your role right now is to concentrate on yourself. Go to Alanon meetings. Trust me they do help. I was in such a deep funk I didn't see myself ever smiling again. Today I can. Still miss him and love him. This weekend alone, I spent alot of time on self improvement. The hardest thing for me to accept is that I have no control over people, places and things. The only thing I can control is my actions/behavior. It is a hard step to do. I find myself trying to tell him what he needs to do and how to do it when it comes to his probation. Well, apparantly it doesn't work because look at where he is! Your boyfriend has got to handle the consquences of his actions. I had become resentful towards the courts, his po and therapist but they are just doing their jobs. Your role is to be supportive and take care of yourself. Keep coming back here and talking, I find the people here so helpful. It has gotten me this far. They remind me to only take one day at a time because that is all one person can do. Read the Alanon books. you took a big step by posting here. Keep it up. I will remember you and your boyfriend this morning when I say my prayers on the way to work.