did you know...

Old 02-24-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

did you know...

did you know that AA states that for every alcoholic there are 16 people affected by their drinking?

did you know that with that ratio.. there should be at least 16 alanon or alateen programs for every AA program?

food for thought.
quietsins
Old 02-25-2006, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Have you guys ever noticed that on the main forum page, F&F and Nar Anon always have the most people viewing? And I mean a substantial proportional difference from all other forums being viewed!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It has always surprised me that there aren't more al-anon meetings, but then again don't many of us start going to meetings with the attitude of "It's not me that has the problem"?

As far as I know (and I have checked), there are 3 al-anon meetings per week within a 30 mile radius of where I live. So, I would have to drive about 150 miles a week solely in order to go to those three meetings - you guys in the US would pass out of you knew how much that would cost me in petrol (gas). I would love to be able to have one nearby, so I don't spend longer travelling than I do actually at the meeting! But that is only wishful thinking and not a complaint, because I have decided against starting a group here just yet and so I have no cause for a whinge.

The meeting in the town 5 miles away finished a few years ago because in the end there were only 2 people left and they valiantly carried on for 6 months before calling it a day.

If we don't support the groups, they die. That is one of the main reasons why I keep going back and also why I keep coming back here.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree Minnie....

20 minutes from my home we have an Alano Club. 7 days a week alanon and aa
meetings, 2 times a day and some in spanish. I think I am very fortunate.
No excuses for me to not attend
Old 02-25-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

Wow..I didn't know it was that high.
That's bascially everybody.
If 10% of the population has the disease
The book on co-dependcy I've been reading said 4-5 for every 1
are effectedby that. The triggle effect from that to feed more
into the cycle.

It's no wonder, it feels like the world is going to hell in a hand bag.
Becuase most peaple don't even relized they been effected by it.
Or are still in the funtioning dyfuntional stage.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd never read a statistic on that before...found it to be interesting. I immediately starting counting how many people I could think of that ah's drinking had affected on a regular basis. Can't even begin to count those that were on an irregular basis.
Which then got me to thinking about how many people have been affected by ah's drinking through me!!! Whether it was the employer that was affected by my not getting to work on time because of having to find a last minute babysitter when ah didn't make it home, to my family and friends having to watch me go through hell, etc. Truly just proves (once again) that effect is definately more widespread than people first realize.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kinda depends on how the survey defined 'affected'. Let's see. For my AH, there's his two parents and three siblings and me and ex wife, that's 7 right there. No kids. Then he had I think 4 employees while he was actively drinking. Makes 11. My supervisor at work was somewhat affected by my being affected but I only missed work once. Then again I ended up quitting as a result of how I decided to cope with AH's drinking, and not coming back for 6 months and supervisor was very much affected by that, so now we're up to 12. AH ended up losing his business and I don't even know how many dozens or hundreds of clients that affected plus the employees losing their jobs. Plus the emergency personnel and tow truck drivers who had to pick up after him. My friends, helping me to cope with the aftermath. I've long since lost count but it's at least 16 people with personal relationships with either him or me, not counting the incidental business relationships.