Notices

How do I take this?

Old 02-20-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I take this?

K, long story, I am on probation for dwi, had to go for 24 weeks of mandated treatment, go to see my po every 2 weeks, all went ok until MY LAST NIGHT OF TREATMENT my therapast pulls me aside and said my po called and asked her to urine me.
1. why didnt the po urine me himself.
2. the therapest can urine me any time she wants, yet the last time she did was 3 months ago
3. how can you urine somebody on their last visit when you are getting their papers saying they completed treatment and tested negative for all substances?
I was very surprised and confused, I mean am I completing tonight or not
I got a little upset so I pulled the therapest aside, and explained my feelings to her I said I was clean and was just a little upset because I had come in looking for some sort of closure and now I would have to wait another 5 daysbut U ARE HANDING ME THE PAPERS.
She said I had nothing to worry about if I am clean and even if I wasnt she would problebly overlook it seening I had tested clean several times.
I had no idea my po can call this place and ask to have me urined, how is that possible? also how much power does he have? can he call her up and tell her to give me another 24 weeks on a whim? what happened?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ASH

Hi Singer,
Congrats on being clean and compelating a 24 week program, awesome!
In the overall scheme of things what is another 5 days anyway? I would just write it off, you will be done with the "system" and can get on with your new sober life
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Frustrating isn't it? Yes they can pull a tox screen anytime they want. If you test clean you will have no problems and I don't believe they can keep you in treatment for longer than has been mandated by the court, but I'm not an expert on that one, I do know how you feel though, I had a h*ll of a time with those people! Congrad's on your clean time, you are so close to having them out of your life! Keep the faith!
Bless, Trish
Old 02-20-2006, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome to SR singer. Hmmmm...don't know much about how the system works with UI's. If you have questions, why don't you ask your PO. That may help clear up any of your questions. Good luck...
Old 02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

A PO cannot determine the level (inpatient, outpatient,etc), methods or length of treatment because the PO is not qualified to make those decisions. A PO can only require you to follow the professional treatment provider's recommendations. As for the PO asking your therapist to test you, the PO has no authority to make the therapist do it, but many therapists try to cooperate (within reason) with probation officers, partly because good relationships go a long way when the therapist wants to intercede for some other client (ex: sincere client doing really well and commited to treatment, but relapses for one night, PO finds out and wants to revoke him, but therapists convinces PO to give him another chance). Another thing, the decision to continue or discontinue treatment should be a clinical decision having nothing to do with what the PO wants. While it's true that even some judges overstep their bounds by ordering folks to residential treatment when they haven't even been SEEN by a therapist for an assessment, lots of folks simply don't know the judge (or PO) has overstepped his bounds and the judges perhaps know they get away with it most of the time because the defendant doesn't realize he can challenge it. A judge and a PO are not professionals in the field of substance abuse. They just think they are.
Kinda funny, this reminds me of a real know-it-all judge I knew years back. One day in the court room he was terrorizing this 13-yr-old girl, saying she was schizophrenic (she wasn't). He said "You're skitsofreenic! I know all about skitsofreenia. I wrote a paper on it in college. That's split personality disorder!" Schizophrenia is not even the same disorder as "split personality" (multiple personality disorder). Gosh, that man was an ass. He sent that child off to a lock-down facility. He totally ignored the therapists assessment that the PARENT was unfit and the child was no more than a bit difficult. Grrrr
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Maybe they just want to make sure that you are not drinking and that you are okay. Time and time again you hear about people getting their 2nd, 3rd+ plus Dui's and then they hurt someone. Sounds like they are just making sure you are taken care of before they cut you lose. If it were me as much as I may be frusterated, I may also appreciate any concerns they may have about my safety and the others around me.

Just a thought. Congrat's on all you've done so far.

DWI
Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Question

My son was on probation... the state owns you then. You are 100% accoutable to your PO and with one signature be in jail, waiting court. They have an immense amount of power. Luckily, he ended up with a cool PO... HUGE black guy. First time we met, he was the biggest ******* I had ever met, wouldnt even shake my hand. Being very southern breed that didnt go over so well with me.

But you know what... it was all an act. That man was the best thing ever to happen to my son. My boy went through a short time (2 months) acting like an idiot but then realized he couldnt have the nice cars and houses if that perpetuated.

Point being, his PO would go to his school, unannounced, take him to the testing center and test him. He was a minor then and even I had no control. Whats sucks more is in Florida, it costs you 5 dollars a day to be on probation. This guy actually run my son through the system as fast as possible after that bill was past.

WARNING: Make your PO your best friend. It will pay off big. Call out of the blue to touch basis (then they dont have to work as hard on you), stuff like that. Express your desire to get all of this behind you and be a good girl and HE/SHE literally has the power to take your case before the court and ask for a 'prayer of judgement' releasing you from probation, even if it is for a specific amount of time.

If you have the papers, dont sweat it. If only some really cared but I would imagine in alot of court ordered programs they dont care as much as just herding you through like cattle. I am most certain this program wasnt free. Government is in it to make money, not to help us.

If help was their goal, why isnt it available until AFTER we ruin our lives? Something to think about. Rather than getting a DUI, what if you went to a judge and said, "Im in alot of trouble right now, drinking and driving and I need help, can you help me?" You'd be looked at like an idiot and told "thats not my job".

This coming from a prior criminal defense attorney, hated the system and changed careers, although I still use my law degree in what I do now.

Good luck hun, you'll be clean anyway, right? I have no clue what made you think you wouldnt be tested upon exiting the program. If ever there is a time for a pop test, its then.