Notices

Online sponsors

Old 02-18-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Jesus

Online sponsors

I was wondering if there are online sponsors and if so how could I get one. Thanks
Old 02-18-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Brian,
And welcome to SR!
Others will be here to answer your concerns, but, from an anon side, I wouldn't think it was too good of an idea to sponsor someone online. This is ONLY my opinion, ok. There are no "rules" about it. But, sponsors and sponsees share deep intimate times. It's important to get full information that a typed word misses, such as body language, eye contact...All these things aide in conversation, and are missing online.
On the other hand, we all have mentors here. People we are drawn to for many reasons. And we come to love each other in a very special way. So, come on aboard and make yourself at home. Let us get to know you, and you get to know us.
Please take what you need and leave the rest.

Shalom!
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Do you attend NA? There are a great bunch of folks face to face that are available I'm sure. If you need to talk, many come through here to hang and chat and help one another.

If you want you can PM me any time, good luck with you journey.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you looking for a sponsor, Brian. I strongly recommend getting a sponsor local to you. Face to face interaction is critical to real recovery in my opinion. Please go to some meetings in your area and look for someone who has what you want. A sponsor is someone who leads us through the steps and shares their experience, strength and hope. A 2d sponsor is very limited and a poor substitute for f2f recovery.

Good luck. Glad you're here and posting.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
REZ

I have mixed opinions about this one. For the newcomer and relative newcomer (two years or less), a flesh and blood sponsor is absolutley essential. For someone with a lot of clean time who as already worked the steps a few times and has trouble finding anyone with enough clean time/ recovery in his/her area, then online may be a solution. Even if you have an online sponsor, you should still be developing relationships with flesh and blood people in and out of meetings.