Notices

Trying to recover

Old 02-16-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to recover

I just totally found thid site by accident,so I guess it was meant to be.
My story,
Well Im 28 and have been in alot of trouble both with the law,realationships,self harming because I'm a binge drinker.I have just recently moved from the suburbs to the city (for my art/music)and there are bars and pubs everywhere.
Ive been on a couple of benders already and the anxiety of the hangover is a horrible experience.
Anyway,last Monday I went to an AA meeting and spoke about my experiences.Afterwood a woman (who looked very funky might I just add) appoached me and said how great to see me at AA.
She was so lovely.She gave me her number and said I could call anytime.So now I guess she's my sponsor,but Ive only met her once.How much can I depend on her as there has been so many nights when I could have just gone and got totalled!!!I wanted to ring her and talk,but I hardly know her.I'll probably go for a coffee with her in the future,but what do I do this weekend.My roommate already wants me to see a band with her tonight,she's know's Im trying to recover but isnt that supportive,not that she should be.Its just very hard,I dont know that I can do this,but the alternative is just too scary to contemplate.I know that If I dont give this up I could seriously harm myself.[/I]
Old 02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey there, Zara--Glad you found us! You pose a number of good questions. The first thing I would suggest, only because it worked for me, is to find more meetings and go to them. I would also encourage you to call the woman you met at that meeting. You will not be bothering her. In fact, talking to you will help her to stay sober. That may be hard to understand, but it is true.

Good for you for beginning to make positive changes in your life. Getting and staying sober is not easy. Hang in there, and keep posting!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much Laura!!!
Im going to need this site so thankyou for your encouragement.
I'll give my AA friend a call
Old 02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there Zara , welcome !

My name is Lee , alkie, and I live in melbourne !

Please ring your AA friend , and try to get to a meeting. She will be stoked to hear from you !

Keep posting!

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Hello!

It's great to se a new member seeking answers to drinking.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I MADE IT!!!!!

I had no alcohol at the weekend!! I feel so elated and strong.I really didnt think I could get through it.I just kept myself busy.I spent the time at the beach (got up at 7:30 am to for a morning swim on Saturday,I hope my new addiction will be the beach!!)I am a little nervous as to how long I can keep this up???I still havent called my sponsor,but I'll see her tonight at AA. Thankyou all for your support.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Congratulations! That is wonderful. Any day an alcoholic doesn't drink is a miracle. Just keep taking it one day at a time and eventurally the days will add up and you feel better, and better, and better!
Old 02-19-2006, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
REZ

Congratulations! You can do it! Keep going to AA meetings, hang out with AA people, don't hang with drunks or go to bars, etc. Start working the 12 steps. It's a simple program for complicated people.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by zara28
I MADE IT!!!!!
I had no alcohol at the weekend!!
Hi Zara, welcome to SR glad your here. You are off to a great start, no alcohol on the weekend, that rocks!!!
Hope to see more of you here
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Zara,

You are off to a great start. I use AA to keep sober here in the States and am very grateful for it. Life is so much better sober.

Welcome to SR!

Jup.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Im not so sure.

I know that I should keep positive,but last night at AA, my sponsor wasnt there.I thought about phoning her,but didnt want to pry.She's been sober for 4 years (drinking and drugging).Im not sure if she's ok.This is all so new to me,Im not sure about boundries and how close do you get?.I just left straight after the meeting.I know I should have spoken to someone,but I just left and now I regret it.Im worried I wont be able to last the week,let alone another weekend.
Im also playing in a bar tonight (I'm a singer/songwriter) is it too soon??
I feel insecure re alcohol so much right now,it scares me.Like Ive held off this long and whats coming is A HUGE bender.Hmmmm worried.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Zara,

I've often walked out of an AA meeting and wished I had stayed to talk with others. There is always another meeting to go to the next night. Try another one and stick around after. Keep up the great work.

Jup.