Notices

Lets discuss PAWS...

Old 02-16-2006, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lets discuss PAWS...

Morning Ya'll:

Yesterday I was expressing that at day 29, although I didnt have the urge to use, I was having what feels like a very mild case of withdrawal... cold chills and all.

All of you have helped me so much, maybe this is a chance for me to help others. I realize I am very new to recovery and nowhere near a place to offer advice, but I feel comfortable offering knowledge. So, feel free to bring to light anything I may have incorrect.

Time for a change explained to me that users, especially of opiates and alcohol, experience withdrawal and other bothersome symptoms long after recovery. Sometimes for up to 10 yrs. Dont be alarmed, it comes and goes. It really isnt that bad BUT if you dont know what your body is doing, for some, this could be a trigger. The chills are a trigger for me. Probably always will be. I use to get them once my sense of well-being washed over me.

I want to put this information out there that Time for a change provided to me so you will understand what your body is doing so you can just forget about and put it on the back burner.

The problem for me however, is the cold chills. I got those when I used and it felt good. I still get them now but for me, thats a trigger so it is a double edged sword.

Ok, if you have never done any research on this syndrome I suggest you do. I'll make it easy for you, as Time for a change did for me.

I emplore all newbies to take a look and even ol timers if you've never read about it. I honestly believe it is something we all need to at least be aware of.

Last edited by Opivotal; 01-31-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Link
Old 02-16-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

I've been there myself and someone was kind enough to tell me about PAWS!! Thank you for posting it!!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, PAWS is a very important and helpful subject for me. As an opiate addict, I have experienced long-term effects of the damage I did to my brain and my body. 16 months clean and sober, I still experience occasional brain fogginess, memory problems and insomnia. The good news is that knowing about PAWS, I can roll with it and not get freaked out. Accepting that it takes months and years to heal, I can be a bit easier on myself.

Great reminder, Beachbabe. It's a subject that can help so many of us. It helps a lot to know what to expect.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Back in 1981 when I got sober there was really nothing about PAWS that anyone knew, but because I was having these reoccurring episodes of chills and nausea my sponsor suggested I go for tests at UCLA Medical and I did.

They monitored me until I left the LA area in 1986. They slowly got further apart and then seemed to disappear. I do get some of it today but believe it is more related now to my diabetes.

I am so happy that PAWS is becoming more well known. It can save many in recovery from going back out again if they know what is actually happening to their bodies.

Thank you Ms B for posting this when you did, and thank you Beachbabe for bringing it up again.

PAWS is a very important part of recovery.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Reading about PAWS was a eye opener for me. When I read up on the subject and started to understand how it effects you in recovery, that was when I felt that I could beat this thing called addiction.

The article that you posted in your post was the same one that I studied. It does help shine the light on things that happen in recovery.

That article should be on every recovering persons must read list.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was sooo relieved when Time for a change made me aware of what I was going through. I couldnt understand why some days felt so much like late w/d.

I couldnt understand why I am still plaqued with chills even with a month clean. I fiqured there had to be more of us out there unaware of this so I decided to start this thread to make sure the information was out there.

For some, PAWS is a very real thing. I am new to recovery so I am dealing with it alot. Used for along time though so I guess we reap what we sow. It usually doesnt start this early but for me it has. It usually starts at around the 2nd-6th month and lasts for up to 10 yrs.

Thank all of you for taking interest in my thread. Im a newbie and have only received help. This was a small contribution on my part to try to give back a little.

Knowledge is power!