Notices

A question about blood tests

Old 02-11-2006, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about blood tests

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't know where else to go. As of today I am 21 days sober! Woo-Hoo! While I was drinking I couldn't have cared less about my health. But now..... anyway I made a Drs appt last week for a complete physical and blood work. I got the test results yesterday. Thankfully my liver and kidneys are just fine, but my cholesterol is borderline high and my red blood cell count is also high. I've done a little research and it looks like alcohol may have played a part in the results. I read something about high red blood cell counts and dehydration, which I'm sure I've been dehydrated for years... I rarely drank anything but alcohol. Has anyone else had similar results with blood tests? I told my Dr yesterday on the phone that I had been drinking heavily for over 3 yrs. I also asked him if the problem can be reversed and he said yes, but it will take awhile. He wants me to have more blood work done in a couple of months to see how things are going. I also have high BP which he just started me on meds for.

I can't believe what I've done to my body..... I honestly never thought drinking would mess me up this much
Old 02-12-2006, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so glad you are seeing your doctor...
I also suggest a dental and eye exam

I certainly needed a fresh approach to medical issues after
quitting.

Well done on your progress!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there marie welcome to SR!

CONGRATS on your 21 days ! Thats awesome!

It took me 5 months to finally get the courage to go to the Doc, and like you , i had blood work done, and I had some dodgey results too!

my liver function tests are gradually returning to normal, and like you , I have a problem with my red blood cells, but on the whole things are looking up

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-12-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Congratulations on 21 days! Having a check up was a good thing. It gives you a baseline to watch the continued healing process your body is going to go through. With time, proper eating and excercise I'm 100% confident your levels will stabalize to normal. Keep those appointments and pat yourself on the back everytime they come back better and better!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marie01
I can't believe what I've done to my body..... I honestly never thought drinking would mess me up this much
Great stuff on your 21 days Marie! If you don't mind me saying, it doesn't look like that your that messed up at all!!!. Don't get down on yourself.

Your kindey and liver came through fine, high BP and Cholesteral can be controlled by medication (and maybe by diet and exercise). The doctor seems very optomistic about the other stuff...

If I were you, I would be encouraged. There's room for improvement but you know what to do to make that happen.

Congrats and stick with it.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 223
Great stuff on your 21 days Marie! If you don't mind me saying, it doesn't look like that your that messed up at all!!!. Don't get down on yourself.

Your kindey and liver came through fine, high BP and Cholesteral can be controlled by medication (and maybe by diet and exercise). The doctor seems very optomistic about the other stuff...

If I were you, I would be encouraged. There's room for improvement but you know what to do to make that happen.

Congrats and stick with it.
Thanks so much! I can't tell you how relieved I am that my kidneys and liver are doing good I'm mainly concerned with the high red blood cell count. I have to go back to the Dr in 3 weeks to have my BP checked and I'll ask him then what I need to be doing specifically to get it within normal range. As of right now, I'm clueless.