Notices

New to forum

Old 02-05-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum

Hi. Although I dont consider myself a full fledged alcoholic. I think I might have a dependancy on alcohol. Last week I found out my girfriend of three years who I have my third child with was ready to move on. It was devistating, yet a reality check for me. I have slept very little in the last week and cannot continue like this. I have lost 10 pounds, and Iam having problems consentrating. I have managed to stay somewhat sober throughout the ordeal. I had one beer with dinner least night. Fri night after work I drank two beers and a rum and coke. I dont remember drinking thursday night. Weds night i think I drank three beers. For the last 6 years I have almost always had at least one beer on a daily basis. I have always maintained a job and provided for my family. I have gone through two divorces before this happened. My craving for a beer tells me that if I drink it will make all of this pain and insecurity go away, but I know it will not. Today I made the desition notto touch another beer until my life in back in track. I have come here for you help and support. I know that she still loves me, but can bear it no longer, I need her back. The worts thing is that this is all my fault, and usually I can correct my mistakes. But this mistake I cannot make go away. I know that if I get drunk I will forget her for tonite, but I will regret it in the future. Sorry for the long post but I had to let some things out. Thank you for listening and god bless.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jet and welcome to SR you will find friendship and support here if you need it .

I dont know what the answer to your problem with your girlfriend is , but if her reason to leave had anything to do with the booze, it might be time to take a look at stopping, cos as you said , it wont make it any better .

Stick around and have a read of the sticky posts , and I am sure that people will be along to welcome you shortly

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

You are doing the right thing- not drinking is never a bad idea! The fact that you're aware enough of a problem to keep track of your drinking, shows you do have a problem with it. One thing I learned is that I used to think I drank because life was just so hard. Now that I'm sober, I realize that drinking just made it a lot harder.

Someone also quoted Homer Simpson (yes, THAT Homer Simpson!): "Beer...the cause and solution to most of life's problems". Funny, but a bit of truth there.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Hi, jet, thanks for sharing. Go to Alcoholics Anonymous. Keep going. You'll learn a lot. Tradition Three says "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, going on my fourth day without a beer, its not so bad. I just have a lot of energy and dont spend as much time sleeping anymore.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

AA is where I learned how to stay sober